Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
had an 'arms' day today, decided to couple tri's/bi's.

super setted the lot.

1. CGBP/Curl Set/EZ Bar frech curls (tri/bi/tri - repeat 3 times)
2. BB Curl/Dips/Concentrated DB Curls (bi/tri/bi - repeat 3 times)
3. 2handed Overhead tricep extensions/reverse grip BB curls/cable pull down (tri/bi/tri - repeat 3 times)
4. Shrugs/Hammer concentrated curls (Traps/Bi - repeat 3 times)

All in all, 5x excerises for tri, 5 for bi, 1 traps

Took just under an hour, pump was GOOD, and suprisingly it wasn't until the very end of the workout (Hammer curls) where i was struggling with what weight i'd normally do, as by this time arms were tired :p

Last edited:
Went for my gym Induction tonight and had a chat with the owner who talked me into joining his power lifting session. I've not trained for at least 3 months so I did OK I hope.

Deadlift

60kg x5
70kg x5
80kg x5
90kg x5
105kg x5

DB Bent over rows
4x15 20kg

DB Shrugs 20KG each hand
4x15

4 x15 crunches

It's a very small gym but for £20 per month I like it. I'm now training with a group of 10 Mon Tue Fri. They go in a lot of lifting competitions
across Europe, so all should be good for my form and training.

Where abouts is this gym, I must know! :D

Rest time tends to be just under 2 minutes, i try to keep the intensity fairly high.

Routine aka Wall of text, all of which tends to be 6-8 reps;

- Chest

BB or DB Bench (on BB atm)
Dips
Incline DB press
Incline Flys

Dips are one of the best mass building exercises for chest, so get them in as early as possible as they should be priority. Wouldn't worry about declines or cable flys, plenty for your chest and triceps to be worrying about there.

- Back (none of this is to failure)

DL's 5x5
WG Pullups
Ben Over Rows
Seated Cable Rows
Wrist Curls
Reverse grip BB curls

Deadlifts are a compound and should be priority, putting them first allows you to have more energy and put the most effort into them.

If your knee allows you I have added some B.O.Rs in there, very good for your back.

- Shoulders

Military Press
Seated press
Arnie Presses
Seated, leaned forward Reverse flys

Military press is another compound exercise and is great for over all shoulder development. Removed the other two as you don't really need them IMO.

- Triceps

CGBP
EZ Bar french curls <3
Overhead tricep extensions (double handed)
Cable pull downs to finish me off

Taken out dips here as you do them on chest day, close grip bench is quite hard on the tri's and you use them in every other training day so far so doing both is bound to be over training.

- Biceps

Curls
BB Curls
BB Concentrated Curls
EZ Bar Hammer concentrated curls
Reverse grip BB Curls

Made some changes (these are my opinion so you don't have to follow of course) that should give you a better workout.
Also why not try this;

Mon - Chest/biceps
Tue - Abs/forearms and maybe something like some straight leg Deadlifts if you can manage them for some legs.
Wed - Rest
Thurs - Back (upper+lower)/triceps
Fri - Shoulders
This gives you a rest between the days where your triceps get worked the hardest as well as a rest day for your biceps before they get hit hard again on back day.

Can you not do any motion of squats at all? If you can do Deadlifts I would have thought you could do squats but if not then don't worry.

Last edited:
FFS

:( Yet again I have another filthy cold and to put the icing on the cake I have lost my voice and I also have an ear infection on the way:D. In the mean time I feel quite weak so have been sticking to the cross trainer doing 1-2hrs at a steady pace. Before I got ill I was really focusing on my standing military presses, basically when I can do five reps on a weight I go up 10 kilos, so now I'm up to 100 kilos:cool:, so slowly creeping to my seated military press weight:).

Chest today, with a slight hangover however it didn't hinder me that greatly. Slow negs.

Pec Fly WU:
75KG x 6
82KG x 6
89KG x 6
96KG x 6

Incline DB Press @ 30:
30KG x 8
32.5KG x 8
35KG x 7
37.5KG x 6

Flat DB Press:
35KG x 8
35KG x 8
32.5KG x 7
30KG x 8

Cable Flies Inc @ 30: 4sn
11KG x 8
13KG x 8
13KG x 8

Flat Cable Flies: 4sn
13KG x 8
13KG x 8
13KG x 7

Really big ROM and stretch felt good.

Inc DB press @ 45: 4sn
27.5KG x 8
27.5KG x 6

GCBP:
60KG x 8
70KG x 8
70KG x 8
60KG x 7

Finished with some cable tricep push downs, some reverse grip etc.

Made some changes (these are my opinion so you don't have to follow of course) that should give you a better workout.
Also why not try this;

Mon - Chest/biceps
Tue - Abs/forearms and maybe something like some straight leg Deadlifts if you can manage them for some legs.
Wed - Rest
Thurs - Back (upper+lower)/triceps
Fri - Shoulders
This gives you a rest between the days where your triceps get worked the hardest as well as a rest day for your biceps before they get hit hard again on back day.

Can you not do any motion of squats at all? If you can do Deadlifts I would have thought you could do squats but if not then don't worry.

Cheers man, Really appreciated.

I've got this week, then next week as rest (on that note, should i keep up my bulk diet (3.2kcal~) even though im not training?)

Are those military presses seated or standing? As i notice there is 'seated press' also.

Will be giving this a go on my first week back. Cheers man :)

Last edited:
Saw some wonderful form last night.

A guy on the preacher curl kept half standing up and thrusting the Z bar up with his lower back :eek: After completing a set he got off and held his lower back before moving onto DB curls and used the same pelvic/lower back thrusts to get his set done.

/Fail

Had a good session last night, but finishing the workout with a DB Chest Press dropset was not a great idea. Had hammered my chest and tris hard so in the end hardly even managed 6x3 with 36kg-24kg-16kg.

Spinning tonight :eek:

Hello Benny what is interval training? Sorry found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training.

Yup that's it.

What I've started with is:

1 minute warm up
20 second sprint @ 1:30/500m
40 second recovery @ 2/2:10/500m
Repeate another 19 times
1 minute warm down

I plan on making the sprints longer and recovery shorter.

The way it works is by using the glycogen in the muscles up which makes the body turn to using fat for those short bursts of energy. I'm learning about the bodies energy systems so it sorta makes sense to me.

You could do a slightly lower intensity HIIT. By this I mean something like

1 minute sprint
2 minute recovery
2 minute rcovery harder resistance (uphill/high level)

repeat.

Feel free to mix it up. It just made a nice change for me I found and wasn't that hard at all. I'd say i've noticed a difference after 3 sessions but its probaly just a placebo and the fact I had a night out on Monday too.

You could do it after your weights say 9 minutes total. 1 sprint, 2 recovery x 3

Just a thought mate :)

One of the instructors at the gym said that 2.5hours HIIT was the equivalent of 10 hours steady state cardio (pinch of salt). Not that anybody could probaly manage that amount of it and I don't think you're supposed to do more than 20 minutes of it. Though I read that if done correctly it can burn upto 9 times more fat than steady state.

Man up and go for a 30sec 'go go go' / 30sec 'stop pant pant' split on the ergo :p

Currently I'm on 12 repetitions sitting at 1:35-1:40 (/500m), and up it by x2 repetitions every x4 HIIT sessions.

I dropped a 30KG dumbbell on my index finger while putting it back in the rack yesterday (squished between the rack and the weight), my finger is a bit stiff today... :(

My weekly graze box turned up today (http://www.graze.com for those of you that don't know what graze boxes are) and it came with 3 free box vouchers so I thought I'd give them away on here :)

It's mostly good food, I get a mixture of nuts and berries, so i thought some of you gym guys might want to try them out :)

So basically it's first come first served, i'll PM the codes to you.

Cheers,

MonkieMann

My weekly graze box turned up today (http://www.graze.com for those of you that don't know what graze boxes are) and it came with 3 free box vouchers so I thought I'd give them away on here :)

It's mostly good food, I get a mixture of nuts and berries, so i thought some of you gym guys might want to try them out :)

So basically it's first come first served, i'll PM the codes to you.

Cheers,

MonkieMann

I wouldn't mind trying one of those, could do with some healthy snacks :D

E-Mail in trust

I've just realised the codes are all the same, doh, so basically you can all use it :)

Here it is: YKKGHBT :)

Cheers,

MonkieMann

EDIT: Supposedly this code isn't anything special as people in my thread are telling me, so sorry :)

Last edited:
Saw some wonderful form last night.

A guy on the preacher curl kept half standing up and thrusting the Z bar up with his lower back :eek: After completing a set he got off and held his lower back before moving onto DB curls and used the same pelvic/lower back thrusts to get his set done.
Oh dear god thats going to hurt in the long run:D.

Yup that's it.

What I've started with is:

1 minute warm up
20 second sprint @ 1:30/500m
40 second recovery @ 2/2:10/500m
Repeate another 19 times
1 minute warm down

I plan on making the sprints longer and recovery shorter.

The way it works is by using the glycogen in the muscles up which makes the body turn to using fat for those short bursts of energy. I'm learning about the bodies energy systems so it sorta makes sense to me.

You could do a slightly lower intensity HIIT. By this I mean something like

1 minute sprint
2 minute recovery
2 minute rcovery harder resistance (uphill/high level)

repeat.

Feel free to mix it up. It just made a nice change for me I found and wasn't that hard at all. I'd say i've noticed a difference after 3 sessions but its probably just a placebo and the fact I had a night out on Monday too.

You could do it after your weights say 9 minutes total. 1 sprint, 2 recovery x 3

Just a thought mate :)

One of the instructors at the gym said that 2.5hours HIIT was the equivalent of 10 hours steady state cardio (pinch of salt). Not that anybody could probably manage that amount of it and I don't think you're supposed to do more than 20 minutes of it. Though I read that if done correctly it can burn upto 9 times more fat than steady state.
I'll give that a burn later, lots of different programs on my cross trainer;).

I dropped a 30KG dumbbell on my index finger while putting it back in the rack yesterday (squished between the rack and the weight), my finger is a bit stiff today... :(

Ouch:(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom