Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for H.I.I.T to have 'maximum' effectiveness you need to sprint, give it 100%, your all effectively until you find that the speed at which you are maintaining begins to drop. For the first few rounds it should be reasonably easy but then it gets a bit :eek:

I used to do kind of HIIT without really knowing it. Doesn't agree with me to be honest. Works as intended but I'm naturally lean anyway and the feeling of utter death and sickness isn't worth it for me. I don't think I've done any "cardio" now for months and eating 2 fryups a day the last couple of days :D Don't forget kids if you want an 8 pack sort your diet and do your cardio :p

Hi. Erm, I've never been in here before...

Could any of you guys give some advice? Basically, I want to become bigger and stronger than I am. I'm fairly fit and healthy: I play football twice a week and eat a balanced diet. But (call me shallow) ideally I'd like to be far more "muscular".

I'm 6'3" and last time I weighed myself I was 13stone 8 (86kg).

I suppose I'm looking for some sort of routine I can do in the gym. Where do I start? I have free access to a college gym which is fairly basic. Dumbells, barbells, big squat bar thing, and a couple of weight machines.

Last edited:
Hi. Erm, I've never been in here before...

Could any of you guys give some advice? Basically, I want to become bigger and stronger than I am. I'm fairly fit and healthy: I play football twice a week and eat a balanced diet. But (call me shallow) ideally I'd like to be far more "muscular".

I'm 6'3" and last time I weighed myself I was 13stone 8 (86kg).

I suppose I'm looking for some sort of routine I can do in the gym. Where do I start? I have free access to a college gym which is fairl basic. Dumbells, barbells, big squat bar thing, and a couple of weight machines.

In the words of Morba...............

Eat like a horse, train like a demon, sleep like a baby!

Did some chest work today after 2 weeks off due to letting my rotator cuff heal, all really light stuff and not pushing to anywhere near failure. Worked my tri's too today and managed a pb of 25kg cable push down for 8 reps :D.

Worked some 'face pulls' into my back routine today on the cable machine. It's not a proper cable cross over, they're about arms span apart. So put the joining bar on. Felt strange to be pulling something towards my face! Worked the shoulders really hard so I might move it to my shoulder day.

Also deadlifted reps, in the style of singles. Lift, Down, Pause, Lift, Down, Pause etc. Found it to be harder but better. Also my form was a lot easier to keep as you can sort of 'set' yourself properly on the pause before each lift.

Also deadlifted reps, in the style of singles. Lift, Down, Pause, Lift, Down, Pause etc. Found it to be harder but better. Also my form was a lot easier to keep as you can sort of 'set' yourself properly on the pause before each lift.

I assumed this is how Deadlifts are supposed to be done regardless?

Deadlift - The lifting of dead weight :P

Worked some 'face pulls' into my back routine today on the cable machine. It's not a proper cable cross over, they're about arms span apart. So put the joining bar on. Felt strange to be pulling something towards my face! Worked the shoulders really hard so I might move it to my shoulder day.

Face pulls were great in getting my shoulder back on the road to recover about a year ago - just don't do what I did, get distracted, forget to put the pin in the stack on the last set and smash yourself in the face.

As for DLs - I've always done them the way you wrote above when doing sets; no bounce / momentum allowed!

I assumed this is how Deadlifts are supposed to be done regardless?

Deadlift - The lifting of dead weight :P

The other method is to lower it till it just touches the floor and then lift back up again. Imagine the first press with DB's, it's probaly the hardest as the weight is sat right back, although you don't see everybody coming back that low.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6MgD6mk_q8

Whilst they were tougher It didn't effect on the number of reps.

Last edited:
The other method is to lower it till it just touches the floor and then lift back up again. Imagine the first press with DB's, it's probaly the hardest as the weight is sat right back, although you don't see everybody coming back that low.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6MgD6mk_q8

Whilst they were tougher It didn't effect on the number of reps.

Sorry mate, going to have to disagree - the reps in that vid (while hugely impressive) aren't 'dead' each time which to me makes it easier and compromises form.

My thinking is pretty much the same its a deadlift because the weight it dead before each rep, the bounce that guy is using is the same as bouncing the bar off your chest when your pressing which would be considered poor form

Which is what I did not do ;)

Tbh I see people bouncing the bar of their chest, bouncing and swinging on lateral pull down, lateral raises, curls etc. It's all the same, no control.

Ye but that's what is considered deadlifting for reps, not resetting every time.

Aye, I think I'm right in saying I was deadlifting for reps, but resetting each rep.

Sorry mate, going to have to disagree - the reps in that vid (while hugely impressive) aren't 'dead' each time which to me makes it easier and compromises form.

Which isn't how I was lifting. Though I deffinatley agree, having lifted like that it really does make keeping good form difficult.

Last edited:
Can anybody care to prove a workout plan just using a decent bench that inclines and declines, also with some free weights I think my friend says he can press 30Kg on the bench and uses around 15Kg dumbbells for various shoulder lifts/bicep curls, he has all the weights and bars just needs a decent 'home routine' thanks :)

Can anybody care to prove a workout plan just using a decent bench that inclines and declines, also with some free weights I think my friend says he can press 30Kg on the bench and uses around 15Kg dumbbells for various shoulder lifts/bicep curls, he has all the weights and bars just needs a decent 'home routine' thanks :)

CNP from the sticky:

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Chin Ups 3x8 (Or Lat pull downs if you can’t do chins yet)
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)

That'll more than good enough for a while yet.

Having a rest week next week,

Should i keep up my bulk diet of 3.2k cals~ day?

Or change my macros to incorporate less carbs, as essentially i won't be using them? (No cardio possible apart from walking, screwed ACL in left knee).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom