Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I've knocked the bix on the head. I had a good deadlift session yesterday managed 110 kg for five which is still frustrating as I've loads more in the tank:( The coach is increasing the weight by 5kg per week So i should hit 130-135 by Xmas.

I'd say you should easily reach that goal :)

I managed to push my deadlift to 130kg yesterday!

I finally managed to get double body weight done :D

I also tried the 130 as my last set to I was already a bit tired but even so I am so pleased with myself.

Next is upping my bench even more, I've stagnated on 75 for too long.

Argh so annoying...just watching a tv interview with the twilight crew question goes "so I heard you put on 30lbs of muscle for this role in one year" answer "yea I hit the gym hard and doubled my carolie intake" :confused::eek: That easy huh lol...

I haven't seen the interview or who is saying it but the main guy in the original twilight had to have abs painted on iirc even though he was tiny anyway, so its semi believable if its him. But drug use is massive in Hollywood, when you are getting paid millions to get in shape for film not that long away are you really going to risk coming in looking like crap?

Feeling pretty gutted at the minute, haven't been in the gym for a couple of weeks now due to cash flow (my rent was way over my student loan installment :() and to top it all off I came down with something towards the start of the week and it really hit me hard from about thursday night onwards, feeling a bit better now, but havn't eaten in days and still can't face food. Hopefully I won't have lost too much strength/mass but it's really gutting to know that a lot of hardwork is just going down the pan.

Sorry for the moan guys, had to vent.

Feeling pretty gutted at the minute, haven't been in the gym for a couple of weeks now due to cash flow (my rent was way over my student loan installment :() and to top it all off I came down with something towards the start of the week and it really hit me hard from about thursday night onwards, feeling a bit better now, but havn't eaten in days and still can't face food. Hopefully I won't have lost too much strength/mass but it's really gutting to know that a lot of hardwork is just going down the pan.

Sorry for the moan guys, had to vent.

Could you not get some cheap equipment for when you are at home? I remember being penniless and putting bricks in a rucksack and improvising.

Last edited:
Could you not get some cheap equipment for when you are at home? I remember being penniless and putting bricks in a rucksack and improvising.

Thanks for the reply mate, and I do have weights and a bench at home, its just that I'm at uni at the moment, and I would love to bring them up here, but its just not practical, my room is much too small. I get 5 weeks off at christmas though so I'm going to really hammer it :D.

Go on then honey bunny recommend us a few better options then please:)?

Sure thing hun - just because it's you! ;) :D

If you want some carbs before bed or some slow release energy you can't beat grinding/blending some oats and pouring them ontop of cottage cheese with some cinnamon for example. Delicious and perfect - protein, and some complex carbs perfect.

The problem with weetabix is that it's so carb heavy and does contain quite a bit of sugar, and you have to take it with milk - it's stogy and not that easy to digest.

A good other alternative is soup - but you've got to be wary of the "creamy" ones as they again won't digest well - but the advantage of liquids/smoothies/soups is that it takes your stomach longer to empty, and ergo, keeps you full longer and the nutrients are absorbed over time.

Taking some carbs before bed is good/fine and can even help you sleep, but it's a balance. Weetabix is very carb heavy.

Try and balance something with low GI and some proteins, but really not a big helping. KEep away from fruits before bed too.

Had the first day of my Level 2 Gym Instructors course today. Mostly touched on mobility, flexibilty, pulse raiser basic warm up stuff. Then an aerobic curve and then fixed resistance machines with a bit about the CV/Respiratory system.

All good and well but the workbook we have to fill out which I've done some of is so ******* frustrating and unclear in some of the questions asked. We have a main book full of information but not all the information is there! I've emailed the course leader and have another day of it tomorrow so will raise some questions.

\rant

Other than that I'm really enjoying it and quite enjoyed the 'coaching' aspect of it more than I thought I would :)

Hi all.

My goals are building muscle mass, clean as possible. I'm 6'2" and 77kg atm. I recently went traveling fo 7 months and lost about 10kg so running a little light atm!

I've gradually been getting my diet back in shape. I've put together a diet and was looking for some advice on whether it's up to scratch. So here it is:

Meal 1: 7am - 3 poached eggs on 2 bits of wholemeal toast
Meal 2: 10:30am - Protein Shake - Whey, Oats, Peanut Butter, Milk
Meal 3: 1pm - Chicken in wholemeal pittas with a bit of salad and yogurt
Meal 4: 6 pm - Dinner - Varies, either chicken or mince based, with a bit of veg and some brown rice
*Training goes here!*
Meal 5: 8:30pm - Whey and Milk

That breaks down as: (calories, protein, carbs, fat)

Meal 1: 473.0 24.8 26.6 28.6
Meal 2: 633.0 47.1 41.5 36.3
Meal 3: 450.8 39.6 56.5 7.4
Meal 4: 982.5 45.95 135.2 28
Meal 5: 318.0 37.7 8.6 22.1
Total: 2857.3 195.2 268.4 122.4
(Values for meal 4 is an average of a few different meals I eat)

Totals seem ok, a 33/46/21 pro/carb/fat ratio. Perhaps up the fat a little and drop the carbs. Calories may be a little low but I've not been eating enough lately so dont want to pile on too much in one go, will take it slowly and adjust as necesarry.

I might sneak some brazil nuts in between meals 3 and 4 as that's quite a long time without intake. Only other thing i was wondering is if I need a bit more carbs after workout to aid recovery? Wasn't sure if I should take too many carbs before bed though (around 11pm).

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

The ultimate option is oats! They are single handedly the best option.

Mix in some berries and it just gets even better... Lots of options for stuff to put in some porridge!

Alpha oats it is for breakfast then:)

Sure thing hun - just because it's you! ;) :D
If you want some carbs before bed or some slow release energy you can't beat grinding/blending some oats and pouring them ontop of cottage cheese.

That sounds wrank, separate I can do just not combined:(.

Interesting on the Weetabix. Let me first say that I agree that it's not great compared to oats.

Weetabix though is very low in fat and high in dietary fiber. Both oats and Weetabix near as dammit have the same levels of protein and fat. Weetabix has twice the level of carbs and more than twice the level of sugars comapred to oats.

Oats might be better in terms of quality carbs and all-round nutrition, but having oats every day can get a little tedious, and that's what can lead to bordeom and ultimately abandonment of a regime. Maybe if on a strict cut you can be harsh enough to restrict your Weetabix intake, but unless you're a professional model or competitor, I don't think Weetabix should be ignored a few times a week as a quick easy healthy start to your day. Along with a load of 1% milk, you get some good calories and protein also! *Hugs Weetabix*

There's more than oats - I'm just saying whilst weetabix is a good cereal compared to all the other crap they sell, it's still got lots of sugars in it... But maybe I'm being excessively harsh. However 6 before going to bed is too much. 1 biscuit or 2 at the most is more than enough, the rest is just going to do nothing for you bar load your digestive system unduly before sleep.

Noob question but here goes, ive just checked on a protein calculator and it works out that cause im 12stone 10pounds i need to have 585 grams a day is that right?

Edit: my height is 6" 0 if thats at all important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom