Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted here in ages, but just popped in to say my debut bout was moved to the 20th so it's next Friday. I'm in good shape and feel confident, I fully expect to come posting in here on Saturday that I won :D

Anyway, wish me luck :p

Haven't posted here in ages, but just popped in to say my debut bout was moved to the 20th so it's next Friday. I'm in good shape and feel confident, I fully expect to come posting in here on Saturday that I won :D

Good luck mate - what weight class are you fighting at again?

Good luck. Keep your guard up and your feet quick. :)

Good luck, don't get too overconfident though, that's a quick way to getting dumped on your backside in boxing I'd have thought.

And take note of this. Respect your opponent. Always.

Good luck, don't get too overconfident though, that's a quick way to getting dumped on your backside in boxing I'd have thought.
Trust me, I think on the night I will be bricking it, overconfidence will most certainly not be my problem :D

Good luck mate - what weight class are you fighting at again?
It's an amateur match so no weight divisions as such, just my opponent and I have to be within 3Kgs of each other, I'm at about 71-72Kgs at the moment. I put on a few Kgs after Sainsbury started doing 2 for 1 on Ben and Jerry's...

Good luck. Keep your guard up and your feet quick. :)
And take note of this. Respect your opponent. Always.
Cheers FF. And thanks for the advice, however I want to win this too much to let something stupid like overconfidence or cockyness ruin it for me. I'm just going to get in there and solidly work and hopefully get the job done.

Thanks all.

Hi,

(posted this in the stickie but unsure where was best. feel free to delete it or whatever)

Just looking for some advice re. my new weight training programme. I basically want to bulk and gain muscle mass. I am 22 years old, 5'11'', 65kg. I am quite skinny so I don't mind putting on some fat while I bulk, hopefully I'll be able to cut some of it later on. I have been eating like a horse, 5 or 6 times a day with the odd protein shake to up my protein intake. It's a lower body/upper body split, doing 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise.

Monday

Split Squats
Seated leg curls
Leg Press
Back Extension

Wednesday

Dumbbell Press
One Arm Row
Incline Hammer Curl
Dumbbell French Press

Friday

Repeat Monday etc.

On the days between (tues/thurs/sat/sunday) I have been doing bit of cardio, but not too much so as not to undo some of the gains.

Do you think the programme is good to suit my aims? Is there anything I could add or leave out?

Thanks a lot

Dumbell Press, For shoulders or chest?

I'd get another chest and shoulder compound in there. Maybe an isolation exercise for each like flyes and DB lateral raises.

I'd ditch the split squat and go for a full on back squat, loose the leg press too and work in shoulder chest work instead. Ditch the one arm row too for pull ups (assisted if need be) or pull down.

Ideally change it to a three day split maybe. Upper, Lower, Upper, Repeat.

Eg. Chest, tri's // Leg Work // Back, Bi's, Shoulders.

You could do the shoulders with the chest but you'll have already fatigued your triceps doing pressing movements for chest which is why I put them with back.

Good on you for not having to be told to include your legs :)

Yeah well my legs are very thin so I wanna work them! You suggested leaving out the leg press, but seeing as though my legs are that thin, would it not make sense to do as much work on them as possible?

Calf raises weren't included in my programme (which by the way was put together by an instructor) but I tried a few for the first time a few days ago and was really really feeling them the next few days. Should I keep doing them? Also I have been doing 60 push ups on my rest days, just to do something cos I get restless. Is this wise or are they redundant cos I'm workin hard during my training days?

You said i should replace the one arm row with pull ups or pull-down, out of interest, why is this?

thanks for your advice!

Yeah well my legs are very thin so I wanna work them! You suggested leaving out the leg press, but seeing as though my legs are that thin, would it not make sense to do as much work on them as possible?

You don't want to over train your legs. As they are thin and probaly not very strong stick to sets of 10/12 to begin with. Increasing the weight as you progress. After a while drop the weight down and aim for sets of 15 and eventually 20. This should build some muscular strength and endurance. Because legs are used so much they can require a lot of volume to be trained effectively. I'm a fan of high volume leg workouts. (I have some leg shots up in the BB picture thread).

Squatting properly is very demanding on your legs, glutes, quads, trunk, core and upper back. It again put on more mass. Leg press isn't a isolation as such but you'd put on more overall mass squatting than using a leg press. If you find squatting too tough to begin with, by all means build upto it using the leg press. Then partial, then full squats.

Calf raises weren't included in my programme (which by the way was put together by an instructor) but I tried a few for the first time a few days ago and was really really feeling them the next few days. Should I keep doing them?

It's really upto you. Something like a walking lunge will recruit your calves and also work the adductors (inner thigh) which will help to stabilse you for squats and deadlifts (stop your knees coming in together in the middle during the concentric , pushing, motion)

Also I have been doing 60 push ups on my rest days, just to do something cos I get restless. Is this wise or are they redundant cos I'm workin hard during my training days?

I personally wouldn't. You don't want to be over training your chest or triceps. Say you've trained chest on monday, cardio tues, weds legs, thurs cardio, friday shoulders. If you've done press ups thursday night you've fatigued your triceps already. You don't want to have a naff shoulder session because your triceps are too tired and are failing before your deltoids. Save it and give it your all on your workouts :) There are studies, I read something on T-nation but it was quite complicated and it's best to just keep it simple.

You said i should replace the one arm row with pull ups or pull-down, out of interest, why is this?

Your aim is to put on as much mass as possible. Pull Ups or Pull down, specifically pull ups recruit a lot more muscle mass Lats, Biceps, and possibly rhomboids/traps you might feel a squeeze in. If you're doing them bodyweight un assisted your core will also be worked to keep your trunk stiff. A one arm row is more of an isolation. Pull ups are a compound. Compounds put on the most mass.

Thinking about it you might be best off replacing your tricep isolations with something like Close Grip Bench Press 'CGBP' or dips. A bit of bicep isolation is fine but don't over do it.

Most importantly address your diet. You need extra calories as your body needs these to grow. You also need to rest and give your muscles time to recover and heal the microtears caused from lifting. Training the same group day after day would see minor growth/strength improvements compared if you trained them every 4-6 days. It does also depend on the intensity of your workout.

If you find your not strong enough to lift heavier but want to make your workout more intense shorten your rest periods.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a good exercise that hits the back to replace my one arm dumbell rows since my gym maxes out at 25kgs (!!!) Today I hit upon having a bench inclined at 45 degrees, lying face down on it and rowing. I've found it much more effective than standing bent over rows because with those you're having to a) bend over with xxkg in your hands and b) hold xxkg in your hands for the duration. Also you are more inclined to 'kip' the weight up if you're standing. This lets you use a heavier weight and focus directly on the back.

I've you've still got one dumbell in your hand then I imagine this is just an incline DB row.

Try with one in either hand and row together.

Alternatively can you not use a barbell for bent over rows. Or try some pull ups?

Can someone clarify the whole "toning" thing for me please?

I know it's a dirty word on here, but have I got this correct:

You can either build muscle mass or cut fat. Spot reduction of fat is not possible. Is the best way to increase "definition" to simply do a whole-body cardio type excercise (once sufficient mass has been built)?

I've heard these rumours about high rep, low weight excercises "toning" individual muscles, but my BS sensor was going off.

I've you've still got one dumbell in your hand then I imagine this is just an incline DB row.

Try with one in either hand and row together.

Alternatively can you not use a barbell for bent over rows. Or try some pull ups?

I should have been clearer, I'm using an EZ bar loaded with weights. I've tried bent over rows with a barbell but while it's good for building your lower back etc you tire if using significant weight.

Muscle tone actually refers to the natural level of tension in a relaxed muscle. The misconception is that people don't want to build muscle, just tone what they have. If they had any muscle then they would already be able to see it providing they had low enough bodyfat. Build mass and lower body fat like you said :)

I should have been clearer, I'm using an EZ bar loaded with weights. I've tried bent over rows with a barbell but while it's good for building your lower back etc you tire if using significant weight.

So you're one arm rowing an EZ bar?:confused:

B.O.R's don't target your lower back. It'll be used as a fixator to hold your trunk in position. They work your upper back, rhomboids, traps and lats (dependant upon grip). Biceps are involved too as an assisting muscle. If you're feeling it in your lower back I would imagine you're not doing it right or are rounding your back.

You should be tiring. If your not tiring by the end of your set you aren't using enough weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom