Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup you shouldn't stretch before a work out in the discipline of weight lifting. The research shows that you'll be weaker and from what I've read this is basically that stretching a muscle releases tension to help the muscle and connective tissue (fascia etc) relax. You don't want this before lifting weights, furthermore you'll have a greater chance of injury and also you'll be weaker in your lifts. This is for static stretching.

Didn't know about this, thanks.

Pre workout stretching is fine if there's a tightness due to overworking a particular muscle. However, in general, you shouldn't stretch right before a workout unless you know you have a problem

For lower back do people generally just do deadlifts? I'm thinking of throwing in some good mornings too.

Good mornings are okay though I think most people struggle to perform them with good form with a weight heavy enough to be worthwhile. I just thought some SLDL might be worth a shot as your keeping back nice and straight and pivoting from the hips though this targets more of the hamstrings I'm sure it helps to build core/back strength slightly.

I've been doing some reading on upper/lower splits and also push/pull splits too.

What are people's thoughts on combining the two?

I seem to be having difficulty gaining mass despite my diet. So would like to re-address my training. I liked the GVT I did which worked:

Upper-Push/Pull (chest/back)
Rest
Lower- Push/Pull (quads/hamstrings)
Rest
Upper-Push/Pull (Shoulder press/ raises or upright rows)

However it wouldn't be anywhere near as much volume, though supersetted if possible.

I'm a bit fed up of my traditional chest,back,legs, shoulders split, anybody got an suggestions for me to look into?

Edit: I've found a upper/lower varying intensity routine.

Monday- Upper body- Minimum 5 sets each for chest, back, delts, triceps and biceps- all heavy- rep range 5-8.
Tuesday- Off
Wednesday- Lower body- Minimum 5 sets each for abs, quads, hamstrings and calves- all light- rep range 10-20 reps
Thursday- Off
Friday- Upper body- Again Minimum 5 sets for all muscle groups, but a higher rep range of 10-20 reps.
Saturday- Rest
Sunday- Lower body- Again Minimum 5 sets per muscle group but heavy with a rep range of 5-8 reps.

Although I think the sets might be a bit high and it doesn't specify how many exercises per group.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying a front torso, back torso, limbs split. Basically the same as chest/back/legs split, but I do front (and vertical) shoulders stuff, and abs work on "chest" day, and the back of my shoulders and traps on "back" day, and legs day also encompasses arms (hence limbs..)

I've always tried to stay clear of push/pull split except for limbs. Dunno why.. maybe just the thought of having both sides with DOMs at the same time puts me off.

Push pull & upper lower splits are great. Throw in some supersets and/or dropsets on the last set and you've got a good comprehensive workout. I'd aim for a minimum of 25reps to a maximum of 40 if you're doing that though per exercise.

Push pull & upper lower splits are great. Throw in some supersets and/or dropsets on the last set and you've got a good comprehensive workout. I'd aim for a minimum of 25reps to a maximum of 40 if you're doing that though per exercise.

Thanks.

I think I'm going to tinker that Phd routine to suit me slightly better.

For example B.O.R/T-Bar rows as opposed to cable rows. A dropset for side raises, flat bench instead of decline, dips/CGBP instead of rope pushdowns.

It so happens I'm able to start this routine today as yesterday was rest day so will let you know how I get on!

I need some help deciding on exercises for my shoulders. I always end up doing imo too many.

Seated DB Press
Cable Lateral Raises
Front DB Raises
Reverse Flies

Never feels enough so I usually add in Standing Reverse Cable Flyes and Seated Miltary Press as well.

Pretty good session today on back/bi/forearms. But tried the good ol deadlifts that I haven't done since the summer and was not happy.

Kept feeling a slight strain (not pain) in my mid/upper back and saw I was rounding it a bit and unable to keep chest out with an arch/straight back. Is this acceptable or something I need to really sort out before going up to 80+kg?

Edit: After watching quite a number of videos on the web showing technique, my back looks to round slightly from a side view like them. But in fact from the side it looks like it is the shoulder sticking out showing a bump. So my technique is most likely correct and I'm just looking at myself wrong in the mirror.

Meh

Last edited:
Benny06 (aka PhD sales rep :P) - Imo you should give Westside for skinny ******** a go, you'd probably enjoy it.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-********-part3.html

Last edited:
Edit: After watching quite a number of videos on the web showing technique, my back looks to round slightly from a side view like them. But in fact from the side it looks like it is the shoulder sticking out showing a bump. So my technique is most likely correct and I'm just looking at myself wrong in the mirror.

Meh

Definitely sort it out IF it is rounding but imo the most important thing is to get a feel for your muscle and what it is doing. If you can feel your back is straight you haven't got to faff about with mirrors etc and you will know when/ if it starts rounding.

This is the kind of thing I touched on in the squats thread the other day. Randomly just pulling/ pushing weight when you haven't got a clue what your body is doing isn't optimal for growth IMO.

Benny06 (aka PhD sales rep :P) - Imo you should give Westside for skinny ******** a go, you'd probably enjoy it.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-********-part3.html

Cheers for that. I saw this mentioned in another article I read. I'll let the skinny ******* comment slide :p

Did the workout as planned today which went like this: 'Upper Hypertrophy'
Tempo: eccentric/concentric. Rest Period: 60 seconds. All sets aiming for 12 reps, bar side raises at 15.
Finding my feet with some of the weights for each exercise.

Inc DB Press: 4/1
30KG x 12
30KG x 10
27.5KG x 8

CG Pull Down: 4/1
61KG x 12
68KG x 12
68KG x 7, 61KG x 5

Side Raises: 3/1
8KG x 15/15
8KG x 15/15
8KG x 15/15

Flat Bench Press:4/1
60KG x 12
60KG x 12
60KG x 10

B.O.R: 3/1
60KG x 12
60KG x 12
60KG x 9

Flat Cable Flies:4/1
12KG x 12
12KG x 12
12KG x 12

DB Rear Delt Raise: 3/1
5KG x 12
6KG x 12
6KG x 12

Incline Hammer Curls 45 degree: 3/1
10KG x 12
10KG x 12
10KG x 12

/\ Bar Cable Pushdowns: 3/1
26KG x 12
31KG x 12
33KG x 12

5 mins H.I.I.T on the rower.

Felt good. First session without the V-max pump and didn't feel any 'dive' at all. Still felt a good pump.

There are a fair few exercises missing from that routine most of which are included in the 'Upper Body Strength' day. I might include a shoulder pressing movement, but don't want to over do it.

The slow negatives and short rest periods felt good. Sent me back to the summer when I endured GVT for 10 weeks! Despite little chest focus today I saw my stretch marks shift and get slightly longer during the pump. Looking foward to 'Lower Body Strength' tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom