Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaps, I'm trying to up my protein intake but am getting bored of turkey and tuna.

Beef mince seems to be pretty cheap at the moment, 50p for 500g in Tesco.

Is this a good idea if I fry it up and drain off the fat, then add a little sauce?

Is that Value mince? Steer clear!

I have to say I'd be wary of overly cheap mince. You can get some decent high quality stuff for very little money - buy it in bulk if you want, but be sure it's realtively decent, else you're just going to eat rubbish which is full of water, additives and will decrease by 50% when cooked. Lamb is great but fatty (but from time to time it's good.

Turkey and chicken can get dull I agree. Eggs? Tinned mackrell, heck even beans has decent protein. If you're not happy with diet variation then look into the protein sources I posted and see if anything takes your fancy. :)

Eggs are pure win. To be honest I love cheap mince aswell though. Asda cheapest is great apart from the occasional ground up bone chunk.
Speaking of lamb though take a look at this...

leg_small.jpg

Had the majority of the meat for Sunday roast but the bits on the bone were the best!
leg_small

Warmup sets

Do all of you do warmup sets for each exercise, just the first, or never bother?

I get tired enough as it is with 25 deadlift reps, so do I really need to bolt on some warmup reps beforehand? Am I really risking my health by not warming up with each set of exercises?

Do all of you do warmup sets for each exercise, just the first, or never bother?

I get tired enough as it is with 25 deadlift reps, so do I really need to bolt on some warmup reps beforehand? Am I really risking my health by not warming up with each set of exercises?

I do about 2 sets of warm up weights ~ 60%-80% of what I normally lift for 5-6 reps this is after I've done a 3 minute warm up on the rowing machine, this is due to lots of annoying injuries I've had as of late.

Warm up every exercise for the same muscle? No why would you? However warming up before you begin with some targeted warm up exercises and lighter weight reps is very important imo.

I have to say I'd be wary of overly cheap mince. You can get some decent high quality stuff for very little money - buy it in bulk if you want, but be sure it's realtively decent, else you're just going to eat rubbish which is full of water, additives and will decrease by 50% when cooked. Lamb is great but fatty (but from time to time it's good.

Turkey and chicken can get dull I agree. Eggs? Tinned mackrell, heck even beans has decent protein. If you're not happy with diet variation then look into the protein sources I posted and see if anything takes your fancy. :)
hehe yeah it's the value stuff, thought there must be something up with it for 50p! Lean mince is still only £2 for 500g though and there's ~16.5g of protein per 100g which isn't bad.

I get a few eggs in me a day if I can, lots of beans too (surprised the Mrs hasn't left me yet!!).

I had a read through that link FF, very interesting, and some good ideas there too, so I'm gonna go hunting around Tesco this weekend and see what I can find.

Usually do 10 reps with half the weight I will be using, then 70% for 8, 90% for 3, then do my working sets. Never find my self becoming tired for my working sets either, and im prepared for them.

Stretching after each set is also a good way to help recovery and it makes your muscles stronger :)

Deffinatley mobilise all your joints, specifically the ones you'll be using. But don't stretch before hand. A quick 2/3 minute row would go down well.

I do a light warm up set for presses. Deadlifts I warm up a set of 8 at 60KG and 110KG. I do some RC exercises before shoulders. Bodyweight squats before a leg session and then a light set before workign sets. Say for example if you were pressing 80% of your 1RM I wouldn't warm up on 70%, much lighter nearer 40% very briefly just to get the joints moving and form checked.

Very important to get fluid in your joints warm and them properly mobised. If you've ever tried doing anything immediatley upon waking up wether it be bending down or raising your arm you flexibility is terrible compared to about 10/15 minutes later once you've been moving about a bit.

Deadlifts going well :cool:

6th week back now I think doing them...pulled 187.5kg x1x1x1 today

Probably could have got 190kg but sticking to my plan for now.

I can't remember exactly why, it's not bad for you as such, but releases energy or tension in the muscles causing you to lift less and be slightly weaker. Someone with the right explanation/knowledge can probaly explain this better than I can.

Stretching post exercise however is good :)

Could someone recommend me any software or sites that could help me keep a track on my diet. Ive found this http://fitday.com/ but i think its just for people who want to lose weight. I want the opposite iwant to make sure im taking in the right amount of protein etc. Basically this is what i want from the program:

All about me- so my weight, bodyfat etc and i can check it each week and put it on there.

nutrition count-so all i have to do is type the food in eg porridge and itll tell me the nutritions values etc.

Diary of what im eating on a daily basis

works out how much i got to eat of certain foods eg protein and whether im meeting it or not.

put my gym program on there and put what im lifting etc so i can see where the weights are going up and also what i need to improve on.

Is there a program that does all this or am i too demanding

Back Day!

Deadlift
135lbx10 WU
235lb - 4x6 (up 10lb from last week)
325lb - 1x1 (up 25lb from last week, aiming for 350 next week, so chuffed with it!)

BOR @ 135lb - 12/10/8
WGPU - 3x8 (up from 6 on last set last week)
Seated Cable Row - 3x8
Shrugs/Wrist Curls + 20 minute cardio
1hr 10minutes

Loving this new workout regime :)

Thanks for the info (;)) re. warmups. I think I'd better start thinking about my pre-sets more carefully.

^ I tried BORs after my deadlifts last week, and my back wasn't having it! Did some single arm DB rows instead!

Tried WGPUs today in the gym after my deadlifts and managed...3 :(. Felt very embarassed and moved onto rows!

Usually do 10 reps with half the weight I will be using, then 70% for 8, 90% for 3, then do my working sets. Never find my self becoming tired for my working sets either, and im prepared for them.

Stretching after each set is also a good way to help recovery and it makes your muscles stronger :)

Very similar to me. My warm up is 50%, 75%, 90% (6, 4, 2 reps) then onto working sets.

I can't remember exactly why, it's not bad for you as such, but releases energy or tension in the muscles causing you to lift less and be slightly weaker. Someone with the right explanation/knowledge can probaly explain this better than I can.

Stretching post exercise however is good :)

Yup you shouldn't stretch before a work out in the discipline of weight lifting. The research shows that you'll be weaker and from what I've read this is basically that stretching a muscle releases tension to help the muscle and connective tissue (fascia etc) relax. You don't want this before lifting weights, furthermore you'll have a greater chance of injury and also you'll be weaker in your lifts. This is for static stretching.

Certain types of stretching can be used for different sports but for weight lifting a different protocol is to be used.

Other research shows that it's actually best to stretch a few hours after weight training. There's a sequence to the types of stretching to be done as well, along the lines of: PNF, ballistic & then static. However I'm not an expert - I have a swiss ball at home and use it and just my bedroom furniture in general to help me stretch after a big session.

I have no flexibility issues for someone of my size, sure I'm not super bendy or can't do the splits, but I have no tightness in areas that shouldn't have them (i.e. hamstrings, shoulders,back ...( I do have a little on the neck, but that's an injury so I do what I can with it!

However a warm up is very important! It does make a difference to your performance, certainly for lower body exercises, where the mobility movements can open up your hips and loosen any tightness and improve ROM. Also it'll bring blood to your joints, and tendons and have them prepared for the warm up sets. I tend to do some start jumps, prisoner squats, rotating hydrants and shoulder rotations. If I have space I'll do some mountain climbers. It takes 5 mins and is very effective. :)

dailyburn.com

Should be perfect. It's free, there are 'pro' versions that are paid for.

Input your height, weight, age etc, your goals, loose/gain weight etc (tells you how many calories to eat, probaly not that acurate), can see a total break down of your diet, calories, fats, proteins, carbs. You can input foods too. I've not used the training section of it, but if it's anything like the rest of the site it should be brilliant.

You get a chart on your 'locker room' and you can track your weight, calorie intake etc all on that.

Edit: FF, I thought ballistic stretching was a no no? If I understand it correctly you use momentum to help stretch muscles further. Eg. bouncing toe touches. Though this is bad for the muscle stretch reflex which stops the muscle being over stretched to reduce risk of injury. We very briefly learnt about stretching on the gym instructor course I've almost completed so forgive my noobness! I may have confused dynamic and ballistic stretches.

Last edited:
Ballistic stretches aren't great unprepared but after a good bit of PNF stretching, and as long as they are performed sensibly they aren't the evil things that everyone thinks they are. :)However you do raise a good point, you shouldn't do them just like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom