Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just done 30mins of skipping outside, and I'm dripping with sweat! It's a fantastic exercise isn't it?!

I haven't experienced it fully yet!:mad:

Though the 6-8 seconds I did keep going for did get me breathing a bit heavily!

Going for some H.I.I.T tomorrow on the rower. Going to have another bash at it first though before :)

The rope I got isn't the best but will see me through till x-mas when I'm given a better one.

I wouldn't do much more than 30 minutes at a time to be honest FF, especially if you've just started and haven't got much natural 'spring' yet, it can be hard on your joints, although you're the expert! If it feels fine than I guess it is, I tend to develop a small problem on the top arch of my foot if I do it for too long though.

As I said it's not 30 mins non stop, it's based on an HIIT style of training. :) I've got a fair bit of spring (used to play Basketball at a reasonable level for 10 years), it's a low impact exercise anyway. However it is a good point and thanks for looking out for me - I'm ok, I don't suffer joint issues fortunately. Besides I use this as motivation:

I'm literally drooling... I'd like some more of those sorts of girls in our boxing gym plx! We only have one hot girl at the moment :(

But that's a pretty good demo actually it's pretty much what I do, however some more moving around would be good, they say it's not good to keep jumping in the same spot, although I've never been told why :p

It's the keep the mobility in your hips, everytime you jump and land your compress your muscles and create tension in the joints and bones - your body copes with this well, afterall we walk for miles without issues - however jumping on the spot is not "natural" per se, by moving sideways (side steps) forwards and backwards, and "mixing it up" you're adding extra forces and displacing the shock on your body and core meaning you're spreading the load but also training more muscles recruiting more hi tone fibres and working the tendons on different axes as well. At least that's what I've read. :)

But that's a pretty good demo actually it's pretty much what I do, however some more moving around would be good, they say it's not good to keep jumping in the same spot, although I've never been told why :p

I don't know why but I'd guess that it is similar to the reason if you are cycling regularly you're also told to be careful about your knees and work on lateral movement too with other exercise i.e. if you focus too much on doing one thing only then when you do something else which puts a different force on your bodies joints then you may run into problems. You could be very strong when moving in one direction but changing your motion suddenly may cause problems if you don't build in some exercise to counter this.

Then again as a boxer maybe it is less of a physiological reason and more pragmatic that you should be moving around more to make yourself more difficult to hit and increase your stamina?

//edit or maybe it's as he said above. :)

Other than suggestion a physio no... Could be that you run on the balls of your feet and there for don't extend your leg fully and have the full pivot of your weight on your knee as you would do when you walk, or you could be slightly flat footed, or your pelvic floor isn't level... so many things really. However as you know we can't give medical advice - so if it's that bad I'd suggest you see a physio.

Yeah I knew what I was asking was on the edge so to speak :p No probs. It's really not that bad at all, it just seems strange it's not the other way round... but as I do more running than walking it's not an issue.

Come on Freefaller we need to catch up with Morba for deadlifts before Christmas, there is know way I'm aiming for his 290 kilos:eek: maybe 250 kilos at a push which will edge me ahead \o/ poor sod:D. 290 kilos is ****ing monstrous, I'm aching just thinking about it. I have been out of the game for a while as I've been a magnet for colds and things but that has passed now and been whacking the iron recently, so watch this space for an increasement on my totals big or small:p.

Chaps, I'm trying to up my protein intake but am getting bored of turkey and tuna.

Beef mince seems to be pretty cheap at the moment, 50p for 500g in Tesco.

Is this a good idea if I fry it up and drain off the fat, then add a little sauce?

I'm not a huge fan of fish, I can eat it but it not regularly. Tuna is ok but I've been having 2/3 cans a day for a while now and I'm getting sick of it!

Chicken and turkey have been in rotation for some time now too so just looking for a change.

Didn't think of pork actually, will look into that. I'm hoping not to spend too much though as my food bills are already pretty high, so 50p for 500g looks ideal. Not sure if it's lean though at that price so will have a look. I'm assuming the regular stuff will be full of fat?

Cheers for the link too, will give that a read :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom