Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Needs more fats in there, change the skimmed milk to whole, eat more oily fish and red meats. Snack on nuts as well instead and try to swap the bannanas for less sugary alternatives such as berries.

Replace the chips with sweet potatoes or something similar.

Other than that it looks pretty cool, especially your choice of exercises :)

Monday's are same at my gym. Weekend guilt and I imagine it will only be busier next month ! :rolleyes:

Indeed, and all the January fad people will be most annoying. I can motivate them with some intervals or challenge them to some 500m sprints.

Time for a 2k test, haven't done one of these since I had my own Model D at home during shoulder training in mid 2007 (2 yr fractured collar bone saga) where I only hit 7:30 :(

I do feel a bit silly when I beast it for my intervals :p

Don't, more effort than most people put in at the gym. I was actually starting to pop off the seat of the Model C and was slightly dumbfounded on how much faster and more powerful I feel these days. Still got too much bodyfat though which should start to fall off with a good diet, Ergo and spinning work.

But not going for a proper cut until I hit the 95kg mark or late March (whichever first). Currently jsut about to touch 90kg.

I just joined a gym here in Pattaya called California Wow. had a walk around yesterday and it looked really good. The range of equipment is really impressive, but because this a touristy beach resort type place, the gym is filled with absolutely huge body builders, kind of imtimidating but hopefully it will make me work harder :)

If it was seated, drop the backrest....if you dare! :eek::D:p

I never use the backrest :p Unless I'm going for a silly weight - though it can be helpful for isolation, but often form does tend to go when you use the backrest... arched back etc... However though, pushing with your legs against the backrest does help. Whilst I try not to use the backrest it does have it's place.

I much prefer standing shoulder press though. :)

I just joined a gym here in Pattaya called California Wow. had a walk around yesterday and it looked really good. The range of equipment is really impressive, but because this a touristy beach resort type place, the gym is filled with absolutely huge body builders, kind of imtimidating but hopefully it will make me work harder :)

Don't be intimidated (easy to say I know) - if you become a regular and they notice you're not a fly-by-night, you may well develop a rapport with them and they can give you some help/tips. However if they are just tourists that might be harder.

Just go there as though you belong and just get on with it - focus on your workout not theirs. :)

[vents]I hate it when anyone who bodybuilds walks around thinking they are the big 'I am'. For example, one guy at my gym ONLY works tri's (i go 4/5times a week, i only ever see him training tri's on the cable machine). He can lift/push huge amounts, but everything else is weak. Anyway, the point being he walks around thinking he is the dogs with no reason to be like that, makes me mad how he looks down on people. [/vents]

Anywho,

Bodybuilding is a longterm process and a lifestyle choice, if I see a dude who is huge, I choose to not get intimidated, just think 'fair play, thats dedication for ya!'

I never use the backrest :p Unless I'm going for a silly weight - though it can be helpful for isolation, but often form does tend to go when you use the backrest... arched back etc... However though, pushing with your legs against the backrest does help. Whilst I try not to use the backrest it does have it's place.

I much prefer standing shoulder press though. :)

True.

I find my shoulders fatigue instead of my triceps whenever I do standing or no back rest presses. Which is obviously what I want! I also find I get a lot of trap involvement with seated no back rest from pulling my shoulders back for form.

I might try bringing my arms slightly further round/not so far back and see how that feels for the anterior delt. Sort of like a palms facing press.

When you DB shoulder press how far do you come down with the DB?

I always dropped it down so my knuckles were // with the top of my shoulders, however I've seen videos of big guys / training videos [and many many people in various gyms] only going down as far as the upper arm being // with the floor (i.e. in line with the shoulder).

I come as far down as I comfortably can whilst keeping tension. I usually find the DB touches the top of my shoulder.

I can't actually get my knucles inline with my shoulders, not with weights in my hands anyway! It's about a fist height above the top of my shoulder but this is a full range of motion for me.

I started doing seated dumbbell with no backrest after reading it here a couple of weeks ago and love it. Feels really good on my shoulders and even using half normal weight is an absolute killer. As benny says I come down to where is comfortable which for me is just below ear level kind of, I can't get my knuckles level with my shoulder even with no weight comfortably.

I come as far down as I comfortably can whilst keeping tension. I usually find the DB touches the top of my shoulder.

I can't actually get my knucles inline with my shoulders, not with weights in my hands anyway! It's about a fist height above the top of my shoulder but this is a full range of motion for me.

OK, so you're coming to about the same height level as me then.

I prefer BB OHP anyway to DB but was just curious

I come down to just below parallel on DB shoulder press.

I think it's been me that's plugging no backrest shoulder presses, and take full responsibility for it! :o

It is humbling as you do have to drop the weights somewhat.

Moved from BB Pics thread!

With negatives,

heavier weight, less reps? So 5/3/1 rep sets of negative reps? or the opposite? Light weight, heaps of negatives?

Would you typically do a whole workout of negatives? Or a weeks worth on ALL exercises? Or just select exercises?

So ;

Week 1 Regular workout
Week 2 Negative workout
Week 3 Regular workout (and check plateau is overcome?)

OK, so you're coming to about the same height level as me then.

I prefer BB OHP anyway to DB but was just curious

I find that my upper arm tends to be at about a 45 degree angle to my torso.

I come down to just below parallel on DB shoulder press.

I think it's been me that's plugging no backrest shoulder presses, and take full responsibility for it! :o

It is humbling as you do have to drop the weights somewhat.

I've been plugging them too recently :) The first attempt is interesting I'd like the first time I flat pressed DB's, wobbling all over the place!

Edit: I'm not sure what Negatives will do in terms of strength progression? You should gain some more mass from nice slow negatives, maybe a little strength? I really don't know. 5x5 for strength seems to work for me.

Strength is more the concentric movement of a lift, whilst the negative aspect will help build up tension and resistance it isn't without it's benefits. However most lifts where strength is required is very much the concentric movement that counts.

:( Think I'm gonna take 2-3 weeks off upper body work due to a arm (Bicep/shoulder or something, it hurts anyway :() injury.

To keep me going (stop me from bloating :p) I've upped the cardio and started doing 1-2 days a week (Up from 0 :o), I think I'll keep this up in the new year when I restart the upper body work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom