Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to try Stiff Legged Deadlifts at some point as I find normal Deadlifts really awkward.

I've just learnt the difference between Romanian and regular. Pushing your bum back as far as you can. Doesn't matter how low or high up the weight stays. The pivot points change between the two. There was a good article posted by cristi I think as an answer to my question about them a few pages back.

This is what i'm trying to work towards. My core can be solid as a rock during the movement but my lordotic arch will still be excessive. My pelvis will tilt anteriorly and i will have overworked hamstrings, and weak/inactive glutes. I am trying to train my glutes up at the moment with sumo deads/box squats to tighten them up, which is helping with my back rehab. But my pelvis is still excessively tilted giving me a pretty bad arch.

I am running through the standard routines for correcting lordosis, but still feel my dead/squat is totally out of proportion to my bench (but im not top heavy-looking at all!).

Will definately have to look into these. I too find normal deadlifts awkward and usually end up shredding my shins to bits because of my start position.

Have you thought about some glute bridges? to really isolate the glutes? Again Romanian deadlifts might help too.

I always manage to catch my knees lol:rolleyes:.

I've got bald patches all over my legs :rolleyes: Up my shins, a round patch above each knee, and then two oval shape patches on the mid thigh where my hands rest peak rep. Not to mention the football field bald patches on the inside of my legs where my thighs rub!

Last edited:
So I've been using the gym 3 times a week for a couple of months now, using the following routine based on the sticky:

MONDAY - Back, Biceps:
Dead Lifts 3x8
Bent over 1 arm DB rows 3x8
Chin Ups (as many as I can manage, about 2 atm... :()
Barbell Bicep Curl 3x8
1 arm DB hammer curl 3x8

WEDNESDAY - legs, abs:
Barbell Squats 3x8
Calf Raises 3x8
Seated Leg Extension 3x8
Hanging Leg-Hip Raises

FRIDAY - chest, shoulder, triceps
Flat Bench Press 3x8
Incline DB Press 3x8
Skull Crushers 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Lateral DB Raises 3x8
Seated DB military Press 3x8

It's going pretty well I think, but I don't feel I'm working the abdomen as much as I'd like. Are there any particular exercises I can use to target the abs? Preferably a bit more "interesting" than situps...

When I used to be on creatine I used to get mood swings, I have some anger management issues, and Creatine made it a whole lot worse :(

Didn't even know Creatine could do that kind of thing until researched it ( after taking it for 2.5months )

When I used to be on creatine I used to get mood swings, I have some anger management issues, and Creatine made it a whole lot worse :(

Didn't even know Creatine could do that kind of thing until researched it ( after taking it for 2.5months )

Really:confused: I was on Reflex Creapure Creatine for years never done that to me, got some good mass though. If anything I felt a bit like a duracell bunny:D.

Lower Strength Today: Tempo's between 3/1 and 2/1. Rest 60 Seconds.

Squats:
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5

Deadlifts:
150KG x 5
150KG x 5
150KG x 5
150KG x 5
150KG x 5

****ing with sweat by this point. Micture of double over hand and mixed grip.

SLDL:
90KG x 5
90KG x 5
90KG x 5
90KG x 5
90KG x 5

Seated Calf Raise:
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5
105KG x 5

Nothing too heavy as my ankle 'injury' is getting better so don't want to mess it up again.

Leg Extensions:
100KG x 5
100KG x 5
100KG x 5
100KG x 5
100KG x 5

Cable Ab Crunch:
33KG x 10
33KG x 10
33KG x 10
33KG x 10
33KG x 10

Fancied working on my grip a bit so did some 5x10 on 20KG wrist curls, opening the hand up and rolling the bar down. Still finding the right weights for certain exercises. Whilst those deadlifts aren't particulary heavy having minimal rest between sets is brutal!

Really:confused: I was on Reflex Creapure Creatine for years never done that to me, got some good mass though. If anything I felt a bit like a duracell bunny:D.

Yep, honestly. I was amazed at what i read online (but as with the needle, it affects people in different ways, some get depressed/agressive/emotional not that im comparing crea to steroids!!!!!!), and stopped a couple of weeks later (end of the 3month cycle).

When i was on crea and got drunk, I was an angry dillusional idiot. But that has since stopped (after stopping the crea).

The creatine did help a heap (might of been placebo mixed with the initial 'noob' gains i was getting), and my progress in terms of size has slowed down a heap since then.

Aren't you meant to take it for 3 months at a time, then stop for a month?

I've been taking creatine for a while, never had mood swings, I think that blaming it on it is just bull****.

I even got drunk a few times a few hours after training and taking creatine before/after training, and I know for sure I wasn't agressive at all, just the usual lack of inhibition that alcohol produces.:D

have a look at the article posted by tom_e, I think that's really interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...akes-people-more-friendly-and-reasonable.html

Don't be intimidated (easy to say I know) - if you become a regular and they notice you're not a fly-by-night, you may well develop a rapport with them and they can give you some help/tips. However if they are just tourists that might be harder.

Just go there as though you belong and just get on with it - focus on your workout not theirs. :)

Thanks FF. I went last night and got given a work out schedule by one of their trainers. Its a very americanised gym, they tried the hard sell on me for personal training and I was really considering it as I would love the extra movitation from someone, but it was a bit too much, it worked out at £18 per session and you had to buy a minimum of 24, which by thai standards is a lot of money. Im aching today though :D

I've been taking creatine for a while, never had mood swings, I think that blaming it on it is just bull****.

I even got drunk a few times a few hours after training and taking creatine before/after training, and I know for sure I wasn't agressive at all, just the usual lack of inhibition that alcohol produces.:D

have a look at the article posted by tom_e, I think that's really interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...akes-people-more-friendly-and-reasonable.html

Just cause it doesn't make you act in a certain way, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else,

And having read the article, i'm not using it as an 'excuse', i stated i have anger management issues, and creatine made it worse, i still have anger management problems now, but it's not as half as bad as it was before.

I'm better off not on the creatine.

Last edited:
As with any supplement, and forgive the vernacular "if you're a **** before, you'll be even more of a **** when on it". Adimttedly this is more often used for special sauce, however if you have any sort of anger or temper issues, any supplementation that will accentuate hormones/testosterone and other forms of increased synthesis in your body will only help accentuate who you are.

I must admit though that mood swings with things like creatine is an odd one and the evidence is marginal I must say. However, as I said, if you have issues before it no doubt will not help. Futhermore if you eat fresh meat (and drink milk to a certain extent) or for some example salmon, tuna, beef and pork all contain around 2 grams of creatine per pound - so although one doesn't eat several lbs of such meats throughout the day clocking up 5+g per day is very easy without supplementing it at all. So I'm surprised that creatine had such a negative effect on you. I'd suggest seeing a professional about that as I don't think it can categorically be linked to it.

As with any supplement, and forgive the vernacular "if you're a **** before, you'll be even more of a **** when on it". Adimttedly this is more often used for special sauce, however if you have any sort of anger or temper issues, any supplementation that will accentuate hormones/testosterone and other forms of increased synthesis in your body will only help accentuate who you are.

I must admit though that mood swings with things like creatine is an odd one and the evidence is marginal I must say. However, as I said, if you have issues before it no doubt will not help. Futhermore if you eat fresh meat (and drink milk to a certain extent) or for some example salmon, tuna, beef and pork all contain around 2 grams of creatine per pound - so although one doesn't eat several lbs of such meats throughout the day clocking up 5+g per day is very easy without supplementing it at all. So I'm surprised that creatine had such a negative effect on you. I'd suggest seeing a professional about that as I don't think it can categorically be linked to it.

You're right, it could be placebo, or just cirmcumstancial.

Who knows.

Depends on the person really.

I'm 66kg and I deadlift 140kg now.

Might try for a 145kg tonight though.

I find that some people are very good at it while others just arent.

There's a guy in my gym that's massive but only deadlifts 120 and he's about 80kg.

I guess it all depends on how much of a good form you have and how much you actually just bite down and get down to doing it.

You generally find a 'good' deadlift is around double bodyweight. But it's all relative to height, age, weight etc.

100KG isn't heavy but if you only weighed 40KG's that's 2.5 x bw. Likewise 200KG is heavy, but if you weighed 180KG's it's less impressive.

Don't worry about what other people lift. Lift with whats best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom