Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here are some pretty terrible pics after i got home from my work out. self timers suck!

dscf0331.jpg

dscf0330u.jpg

i seem to be standing lopsided as well...sigh...

edit: hmm looking at the pics they really dont seem to catch my stomach muscles that well, i have much more visable definition on the first 2 pairs and my obiques (spelling?) pft

Last edited:
Yeah I know Branny, had many messy nights out with him! Also put each other through our paces on some H.I.I.T on the bag too. Small world!

Yeah the monthly fee went up £1 :rolleyes:

I found supersets to be the way foward when training at home as I didn't have enough weight to train really heavy so just supersetted everything!

Cool, I'll give supersets a go, cheers. I have 100 kilos or so of weight so I should be ok to progress over xmas and then maybe pick up some more plates in the new year.

Ha, £1 is a bit pointless, I think I was getting a bit disalusioned with the Uni gym anyway, I was missing being in my garage and loading up the bar with weight and just doing my thing, only downside was not having a training partner, but if I bring my stuff up here we can train in my flat, which could get interesting.

Incidentally guys, I was questioning leaving my bench at home (its a faff to take it apart and rebuild it here, also the wear and tear on it is quite severe) and just doing some weighted pushups/incline pushups etc for chest work. I read on the SL forum that pushups were better for maximal strength which is initially what I will be after. Does this seem like a good idea or not?

Cheers

I struggle to train well at home, probaly because I'm in my room and just find it hard to focus. When I'm in a gym environment it's not a problem.

Pushups are great. For strength I think you'll want some weight on your back otherwise your just going to end up working on muscular endurance.

Doing them on stands so that you can get a nice big full range of motion is the best bet. They'll also save your wrists a lot of discomfort too :)

Throwing some claps in (without the stands) is good for developing power so I hear, also gets a bit of a sweat on too!

Where are you living this year?

ok here are some pretty terrible pics after i got home from my work out. self timers suck!

i seem to be standing lopsided as well...sigh...

edit: hmm looking at the pics they really dont seem to catch my stomach muscles that well, i have much more visable definition on the first 2 pairs and my obiques (spelling?) pft

1) stop being so negative about yourself. You're working out and are in much better shape than most of the UK population.

2) I think you have good form on the arms shoulders and abs there but perhaps more concentration on the pecks is required now? I prefer DB bench fly and found that developed ny peck size nicely. BB decline bench press I found was good to get that chisel definition across the bottom of my boobs too :)

my chest exercises atm are dumbell fly on bench and bench press

fly is 8 x 3 with 16kg DBs

bench is 30kg + olympic bar so 50kg (?) 8 x 3 again

oh yeah and press up on med ball (actually a killer which i never realized till i tried) 8 x 3 as well

so its not like im not working them, i think my body fat is still higher than id like 19% atm and im aiming for 14% ish.

im going to increase the weight on the bench press but im just getting the form right atm since i havent done that exercise so in a week or 2 ill start increasing that weight.

i use 16kg DBs for all my free weight stuff so ill increase them when im not hitting failier on the last rep of each set. Probably inline with the bench press increase.

my chest exercises atm are dumbell fly on bench and bench press

fly is 8 x 3 with 16kg DBs

bench is 30kg + olympic bar so 50kg (?) 8 x 3 again

oh yeah and press up on med ball (actually a killer which i never realized till i tried) 8 x 3 as well.

Are you sure you're doing flys properly with 16kgs? seems a bit odd if you can fly 16kg properly and only press 50kg.
For example I can press ~70-80kg for 8 reps but fly ~12kgs for 8-12reps

Why do you use 16kg dumbbells for all exercises? For example can't you row 16kgs for a lot more reps than you can fly 16kgs?

Cheers mate, I'll pick some handles up from amazon then :). Clapping pushups would be a cool party trick too :D.

I tend to prefer training at home as there is no waiting about, and I don't have to worry about encroaching on anybody elses workout. Hopefully it should be even better with a training partner too.

I'm living at pavilions at the moment, was here last year too, I know it's sad but I'll probably rebook for next year as well, its just so easy and close to the uni. How about you mate?

Are you sure you're doing flys properly with 16kgs? seems a bit odd if you can fly 16kg properly and only press 50kg.
For example I can press ~70-80kg for 8 reps but fly ~12kgs for 8-12reps

Why do you use 16kg dumbbells for all exercises? For example can't you row 16kgs for a lot more reps than you can fly 16kgs?

Yeah im sure, my mum used to be a fitness instructor so i get all my form checked by her or other people i trust in the gym.

and also i did say ive only just started bench pressing so im only doing 50kg to get used to the action and make sure my form is 100% correct before i pile on anymore weight. :)

(i dont train with a spotter either so it forces me to be 100% sure of everything i do)

also my rows are a fairly uncommon exercise (never seen anyone do them or even mention them in my gym) basic idea is tricep pressup position but with the dumbels in your hands inline with ur body.

pull the DB straight up to ur chest, alternating right/left.

and keep your sholders/chest/core/legs as still as possible, the goal being total stillness from everything but the arm thats in motion.

its a killer workout for your whole body not just your arms because of the strength needed to keep still and stable.

most of the stuff i do is as different to ''normal'' exercises as possible.

when i say ''all'' it is really only:

-chest fly on bench
-standing sholder press
-renegade dumbell row
-standing lung/squat

so a small part of my work out.

I gave clap pressups a go for a while. It was something I was already able to do without having to train for it as such. Didn't really do them long enough to notice any gain in power/strength.

As you fatigue it gets dangerous, make sure there's a pillow under you otherwise you'll faceplant the floor:p

I'm in a house this year opposite booze for less on Gresham Street just off Carholme Road. Most of my stuff is up by the Cathedral so it's mid way between the too. Walk to the gym takes about 10 minutes so can't complain!

Pavs and Junxions are nice, you don't appreciate the space until you live in a small house. With single glazing and epic drafts I sometimes wish I was back in Junxion!

clap pressups were always something done to kill us when i used to play rugby, faceplanting mud doesnt hurt so much =P and u will probably get face planted anyway =D

oh yeah and for some reason i appear to write all my reps/sets backwards. 8x3 means 3 sets of 8 reps..i know im weird =P

I gave clap pressups a go for a while. It was something I was already able to do without having to train for it as such. Didn't really do them long enough to notice any gain in power/strength.

As you fatigue it gets dangerous, make sure there's a pillow under you otherwise you'll faceplant the floor:p

I'm in a house this year opposite booze for less on Gresham Street just off Carholme Road. Most of my stuff is up by the Cathedral so it's mid way between the too. Walk to the gym takes about 10 minutes so can't complain!

Pavs and Junxions are nice, you don't appreciate the space until you live in a small house. With single glazing and epic drafts I sometimes wish I was back in Junxion!

Cool, I'll order a nice pillow too :D

I know where abouts you mean, I am tempted to look into that as the Pavilions prices are going up next year, but I think I'm just too used to Pavs now to worry about moving out.

Hopefully the living room in my flat should be a good place to workout, we're intending on moving on eof the sofas forward into the room giving ourselves plenty of room to do the weights etc. One issue could be the hight of the ceiling with military presses and PC2PP but it should be ok. If it becomes an problem I'll have to do seated military press.

Cheers for all the advice mate, its really helpful :)

Doing them on stands so that you can get a nice big full range of motion is the best bet. They'll also save your wrists a lot of discomfort too :)

What do you mean by stands?

I usually do a set of pushups and situps before bed / when waking up and wonder what you mean.

Do you mean those JML things that twist when you do a pushup? I saw those on the TV and while it looked a neat idea in principle thought it was just another JML thing like the abdominizor or something like that.

Rich

Functional strength I've always defined as the sort of strength that is useful in your day to day life or activities. So this could be at work, or in sports. It's strength that makes your life easier, and becomes is useful and useable. Functional strength is, flexibility, endurance, speed, and of course pure power/strength in itself. As opposed to non functional which is just size, and low impact exercises designed to accentuate parts of your body and whilst doesn't offer much in terms of functionality does offer your body strength development in another way (i.e. muscle fibres etc...).

I guess functional strenght is the wrong word but that's what I've always used.

Functional strength I've always defined as the sort of strength that is useful in your day to day life or activities. So this could be at work, or in sports. It's strength that makes your life easier, and becomes is useful and useable. Functional strength is, flexibility, endurance, speed, and of course pure power/strength in itself. As opposed to non functional which is just size, and low impact exercises designed to accentuate parts of your body and whilst doesn't offer much in terms of functionality does offer your body strength development in another way (i.e. muscle fibres etc...).

I guess functional strenght is the wrong word but that's what I've always used.

I entirely disagree with the concept of functional strength because it means that some strength must somehow lack a function or usability.

You're using things such as flexibility, endurance, speed (I would also add balance) and while these are things that help in everyday life, they are not 'functional strength', they are flexibility, endurance, speed and balance.

Let's be clear that 'strength' means being able to exert the force to move X weight from A to B. There is no strength that is not functional.

"I don't want to lift heavy weights because I'm going for functional strength" is an excuse given by people who don't want to work hard.

Where is the non-functional strength here?

http://nosemosnadie.blogsome.com/wp-admin/images/MP2.jpg

The website declined to show this webpage (Error 403).

As for the functional strength debate - building muscle in some ways (e.g. to get huge biceps and lats) can surely become almost the opposite of functional if taken far enough, if you're walking about with the invisible coathanger and have the inability to touch your hand to your shoulder comfortably then (depending on what you do) that would seem to me to be non-functionally useful. However it is a bit of an artificial definition because while I'd say the mass monsters aren't in a position where most of their strength is functionally useful for most people (in fact it would be a damn inconvenience most of the time) it is entirely appropriate for what they do as a job. I wouldn't want to get to the stage where my strength could potentially limit my enjoyment of other sports that I like to do but I'm a long way off that at the moment so I'll just keep working out as hard as I can then tackle the issue of 'too much strength' if I ever reach it.

Whether or not you disagree with it's concept is irrelevant as it's very much an actual measure, but maybe you just misunderstand it? I also think you've completely misunderstood my point, maybe I wasn't clear or maybe you're not getting it, either way it doesn't matter as long as we both understand what we mean.

Functional strength is not a static measure - it's very much dynamic. The term "strength" is probably somewhat erroneous and is what people who are into the game use and forget it's roots, I'm guilty of this despite being well read and relatively knoweldgeable, one gets lazy and uses terms not quite accurately enough.

The history of the expression comes from functional training and condition training. i.e. strength/power atheletes to aesthetic atheletes. There's no denying that aesthetic training involves some strenght involvement and some would argue that hypertrophy and muscle volumising is akin to strength - not so, not at all. Look at someone like Pyrros Dimas the world record clean and jerk holder for his weight class - overall a very slight person (though his legs are phenomenal) however with tremendous power and strength, his functional strength is that of his phenomenal clean and jerk ability. A gymnast, his functional srength is that to enable him to hold his weight and balance in some fantastic feats on the olympic rings for example.

However put this two in a daily life, they are no different to any other commuter on the train etc... Put them on a rugby pitch for example, and they're ****ed. Their functional strength doesn't lend them to being useful in that environment. Just like me doing the gymnast's routine, or 2.5x BW C&J. However, my range of functional strength is potentially larger and more well rounded (though gymnasts are phenomenal and in my opinion have nearly the perfect all round dynamic range of functional strength, bar perhaps lower body range).

When people/experts/begginers/etc... talk about functional strength it typically is to do with their specific area. i.e. it's functional to them. The term functional strength in itself means nothing. However if you encapsulate it with an entire physique and state that he has a good overall functional strength - it's very clear what is meant by this.

Functional strength != pure out and out strength. It's a separate measure of it's own.

I understand what your confusion is in terms of, "to be able to move from a to b, you need to have some functional strength", well of course you could define that as functional, but let's face it, we're not creatures in a vegetative state - we're all able to walk from a to b? Does that mean we have functional strength? Yes, but as I said, it's a dynamic measure. I'd hazard a guess I have more functional strength than 50% of commuters. Does that mean I can do the task of walking better? No of course not. However, overall, my measure and dynamic range of functional strength is phenominally larger than 50% of commuters. That's the key element, the dynamic range. Functional strength in itself means nothing - so I admit it was probably a bad explanation on my behalf.

Strength is a relative term, what is strong for one person is weak for another. Personally I think if you can't do BW exercises or push/pull bodyweight weights it's weak. However comparing like for like is just not possible, hence why there are weight classes, and different leagues for different disciplines.

For me the ultimate show of functional strenght would be someone like mariusz pudzianowski who has phenomenal power/strength/aesthetics but also fitness, flexibility and for a man of his size, agility and balance. If you were able to combine someone like him with Bruce Lee and and elite gymnast you'd have the perfect example of a full dynamic range of functional strength.

That's what people mean by functional strength - it's not your ability ot push a weight from here to there, it's a dynamic range of ability, and the able to the move that weight from here to there better/faster/more times if that's how you're being measured. In day to day life it's hard to quantify - in an office, the fact that I am by some margin the strongest person here mean I can do my job any better? No... leaving fitness and well being aside. However other than basics of each day, it does mean that I can lift more boxes when I move house, I can carry heavier things for longer, I don't run out of breath running up 4 flights of steps, I can carry out more physical work per hour than someone else (if I were to do physical work which I have done in the past). It's the ability to go about your day with more efficiency and be mroe functional. So in general it's hard to see, but if you look at it on a bigger scale it's very clear to see the difference.

I can't see the link you posted unfortunately I get a 403 error.

What do you mean by stands?

I usually do a set of pushups and situps before bed / when waking up and wonder what you mean.

Do you mean those JML things that twist when you do a pushup? I saw those on the TV and while it looked a neat idea in principle thought it was just another JML thing like the abdominizor or something like that.

Rich

Just a bog standard press up stands. None of that fancy twisty stuff. Also know as press up bars. Just something for you to wrap your hand around and allow you to come down a little bit further. Saves your wrist being bent back the entire time or doing them on your knucles and destroying them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom