Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

just posting on here to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and for those wanting to bulk like me i'm sure you'll be having your 4 Christmas dinners this year :D can't wait dinner at home @ 12, Dinner at nans @ 2, Dads at 4 and a late one at 7pm... awesome :) plus bubble and squeak, any takers on me getting to 105kg?

The wife will kill me :eek:

Merry Christmas to all

It's very impressive but you have to remember we all have a lift that we excell at. Whilst we regulary look at the big three there are plenty of other lifts like powercleans and military press which require large amounts of power/strength that somebody who can squat/bench/dl might not excell quite so well at. I remember a video of you powercleaning that looked effortless, whilst im not too far behind you on the deadlift I lack the explosive power to throw 100KG's up into the air!

Great lifting DS :)

I need to find a gym with a squat rack, the smith machine is killing me!

It's very impressive but you have to remember we all have a lift that we excell at. Whilst we regulary look at the big three there are plenty of other lifts like powercleans and military press which require large amounts of power/strength that somebody who can squat/bench/dl might not excell quite so well at. I remember a video of you powercleaning that looked effortless, whilst im not too far behind you on the deadlift I lack the explosive power to throw 100KG's up into the air!

Yea exactly, no one is curling those 15's with my effortless style... :p
I think the main problem with 1RM with most people is you just don't want it enough, I know I certainly don't. If you were really mentally prepared and NEEDED to get it done, you probably would.

It's a good point - there are some things that we are just powerfully good/better at. Also I think it's an exponential scale in terms of effort when the weights get big. 200kg starts to be a lot tougher, but I wonder if that's psychological or not?

Yea exactly, no one is curling those 15's with my effortless style... :p
I think the main problem with 1RM with most people is you just don't want it enough, I know I certainly don't. If you were really mentally prepared and NEEDED to get it done, you probably would.

This is where training partner(s) is key in my opinion. Having other guys motivate you and spur you on during a big lift can really make a difference.

It's a good point - there are some things that we are just powerfully good/better at. Also I think it's an exponential scale in terms of effort when the weights get big. 200kg starts to be a lot tougher, but I wonder if that's psychological or not?

Its incredible how much your minds comes into lifting weights, I mean really making a difference.

Ive had a few times, and bet everyone who has been training for a while has, where you put 10 kg or more into the bar than you wanted to and barely even noticed.

2x bodyweight is just that, at any weight, its still the same percentage. Overcoming mental blocks, to me atleast, is one of the many different challenges weightlifting offers!

Its incredible how much your minds comes into lifting weights, I mean really making a difference.

Ive had a few times, and bet everyone who has been training for a while has, where you put 10 kg or more into the bar than you wanted to and barely even noticed.

2x bodyweight is just that, at any weight, its still the same percentage. Overcoming mental blocks, to me atleast, is one of the many different challenges weightlifting offers!

Or when you add 2.5kg to the bar and you can't even move the ******!! :eek:

there is a huge difference between weighing 70kg and doing 2.5BW squat and when you weigh 100kg and want to do the same.
the latter is MUCH harder, i'm sure there was an explanation somewhere.

another example is when you see people that are like 5 ft 6 benching with a very wide grip and a barrel chest, their ROM is like 10-15cm while i have to move the bloody bar for half a meter. :D

Not been in for a while with an injury and an illness.

But planning a mahoosive session tomorrow with my brother there as a partner. Going to be lots of pushing each other, sweating, pain, and noise.

Can't freaking wait, feel soo weak after these 2 weeks off :(

there is a huge difference between weighing 70kg and doing 2.5BW squat and when you weigh 100kg and want to do the same.
the latter is MUCH harder, i'm sure there was an explanation somewhere.

another example is when you see people that are like 5 ft 6 benching with a very wide grip and a barrel chest, their ROM is like 10-15cm while i have to move the bloody bar for half a meter. :D

Physical leverage is always going to be different I agree. A barell chested chap doing bench will always be easier than a short armed short person doing deadlifts.

However I'm conflicted, I do agree with what you're saying in your 1st paragraph, but also I agree with what Ben90 says about it just being a percentage.

However it comes down to power:weight, lighter people invariably tend to have better power:weight.

I were to shed 10% of bodyfat I'd drop to low 90s - however my strength would/should (hopefully) stay the same but suddenly my lifts become a larger percentage of my bodyweight - does it mean I become stronger? Nope not at all, however relative to my bodyweight I have. However, it may mean I can do more chins/dips as my muscles having been used to shifting my original weight will be able to do so at my lighter weight with more ease.

The way I see it (and I'm not expecting everyone to concur) is that no matter how much you weigh, lifting 200+ kg is always going to be impressive and strong. 200 or 300 or whatever, doesn't change it's constant. It'll always be 1/5 of a tonne or more as you go heavier. However, this would be in conjunction with power:weight for other exercises.

I'd never compare a 100kg man being able to DL 200kg for reps weaker than a 70kg man DLing 140kg even though they are both double bodyweight.

However a 70kg man being able to do 20 chins, will always be more impressive than a 100kg man being able to do 2.

That's where the grey area lies - it's a funny cross over.

Just on the topic of bodyweight ratios. I find I'm a lot stronger on dips and chins when I'm heavier, anyone else find the same? I can't explain it but my weight is going up at the minute and my dips and chins are flying up again. Obviously I'm getting stronger but it's noticeably more than that in relation to my bodyweight and my other lifts.

I think it's more likely to do with the fact you're getting stronger. When I was a lot lighter I could do lots and lots of dips, but strapping weight round my waist I couldn't do much more than 20kg or so for 1 or 2 reps. I can now do 40kg around my waist whilst weighing close to 100kg (so 140 in total) and do 5-6 reps. So it agrees with your statement, but purely owing to the fact that I'm a lot stronger now rather than anything else.

8 - 4 today :)

Every day this week as I've been training at 3 (and it's quite a quiet gym anyway) it's been dead, no more than 3/4 people in there usually on CV equipment. Yesterday I had the place to myself :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom