Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right I'm going to be training alone from tomorrow so I'm going to be looking at a new 3 day split, looking at getting bigger as I've only trained for strength doing 5x5. I was thinking of the below split.

Tuesday chest - Shoulders - Triceps
Bench Press
Incline bench press/Incline DB press
Lat pull down/untill I can do wide grip pull ups
Close grip bench
dips

Thursday back- biceps

Deadlift
DB rows
Shrugs
Close grip chin ups
Cable Bicep Curl

Saturday - Legs

Squats
Leg Press
Hamstring curls
Db Lunges
Calf raises
Roman chair for abs

I seem to have weak shoulders and poor triceps so I need to hit them hard this next year, my chest needs work too.

I may have got my list mixed up a little or I've to much to little so If someone could have a look for me that would be great.

Started a new routine for a couple of weeks today, just some circuit training to try and shift a couple of added lbs over the Xmas holidays!! I have zero control when it comes to Maltesers and Xmas sweets :p
Oh well it's only once per year so could be a lot worse!

Is N.O Xplode really worth it? Is it not just like drinking a red bull before going to the gym?

kinda, it does have caffeine in there, but also creatine and NO in there, theres some more info on it in the Supplements thread around here somewhere, but for me makes me feel like a bear and wanting to throw iron all over the place. And if something does that then its worth it to me!

Is N.O Xplode really worth it? Is it not just like drinking a red bull before going to the gym?

Check the supplements discussion thread. I recently used one but did a bit of research. You might find some of my posts useful as to how they work and why getting a good pump can be important :)

Q: How do you guys stay focussed day in and day out of training? Lately i've been sleeping a load (10-11 hours a day, nothing to get up for) and just feel drained and lethargic throughout the day and find myself zoning out inbetween sets in the gym. My concentration is shot and im not focussed at all. Today was the worst and i let my form slip on my squat and very nearly reinjured my back.

I usually eat about an hour before the gym, with a banana about 30 minutes before i get in there. Still feel like the walking dead.

Q: How do you guys stay focussed day in and day out of training? Lately i've been sleeping a load (10-11 hours a day, nothing to get up for) and just feel drained and lethargic throughout the day and find myself zoning out inbetween sets in the gym. My concentration is shot and im not focussed at all. Today was the worst and i let my form slip on my squat and very nearly reinjured my back.

I usually eat about an hour before the gym, with a banana about 30 minutes before i get in there. Still feel like the walking dead.

caffeine? :p

I find even if I feel tired during the day, once i get in the gym I feel fine. I find I must have some sort of music or I get bored, but I imagine every gym has music playing.

That's too much sleep for me. I know it sounds strange (I enjoy my sleep a lot) but much over 9 hours straight and I wake up, as you say, feeling lethargic and lazy. As for the gym its just how much you want it. Next time you feel lazy think about how you want to look/ what ever you end goal is and go for it, ****ing dig deep and drag yourself there :)

I've found since being back for home for Christmas when I get up around 10 and just sit about not really doing much (playing PS3) etc I feel awful when I'm in the gym and just tire more easily.

If I have less sleep and get up and do something with my day, even being sat in a less comfy chair, doing some work and switching on makes me far more alert (and bored) which makes me long for the gym. Come 5 o'clock I can't wait to train!

Get up earlier, go for walk 'switch on' :)

Q: How do you guys stay focussed day in and day out of training? Lately i've been sleeping a load (10-11 hours a day, nothing to get up for) and just feel drained and lethargic throughout the day

I know the feeling :p, nothing to get up for in the morning with no uni.

Had a good chest/bi's session today and a big pump in my arms, not lifting too heavy though =/.

What are your favourate exercises for building legs? I use them all but prefer the inclined leg press because it is the most confortable (at least to me). Hack squats tend to hit the kness (near verticle/upside down). Traditional squats I am fine with also.

Leg Shiznet

Front Squats I'm a fan of.
More recently SLDL I really feel blasting my hamstrings more so than any seated leg curl has EVER done.

I don't know if you've ever worked quads so hard that just slight tension in the muscle when standing causes it to shake slightly and then progressively more and more. SLDL can do this sometimes for me but for the hamstrings :)

I also LOVE dumbell lunge walking to finish a session with. Absolutely destroys your legs and works so much all at once. You might look like a bit of a plank to other but then you whip out your LEGS OF DOOOOM. :p:D

What are your favourate exercises for building legs? I use them all but prefer the inclined leg press because it is the most confortable (at least to me). Hack squats tend to hit the kness (near verticle/upside down). Traditional squats I am fine with also.

I tend to feel it most in back/front squats and barbell/dumbbell lunges (If only there was enough room in either of my gyms to walk...).

Speaking of legs, anyone recommend any brands of boxers to stop legs chaffing together (I hear talcum powder also works?)? Think I'm starting to get that a bit :(.

Last edited:
Lunges I have been neglecting just lately. Clean forgot to include them. Saying that I completely wiped myself out last saturday doing shoulders/back and legs. Hit me the following day during another workout so that I could only complete half of it. You know trembling legs and feeling like I was going to pass out. It was only sheer stubbornness/determination plus a bit of luck that got me through.

Edit: Have a small fracture in the base of my spine so I think luckily (if that's the right word) SLDL's are out for me.

Last edited:
Set your goal(s) and work for them.

Edit: The only people I have come across who were not able to reach them were anorexics and those that didn't want to.

I'm on my way to my goals and find myself kicking my ass into the gym and doing my sets but my energy just goes. Feels like i'm braindead. Might have to try the caffeine option!

Ethan:

Can you squat/deadlift okay with this fracture? Providing you can keep your core/trunk stiff and straight I feel very little pressure on my lower back if any. Your supposed to stand on a box and really lower the bar but I don't need to come down this far. A really light weight with good form: legs stiff, back straight, shoulders back, head up should get you feeling it.

Though consult your physio/gp first :)

Holy moly. Several factors came together today resulting in me being as close as you can possibly be to passing out at the gym. It was legs and I'd already done a few exercises including 2 sets of front squats. After finishing my 3rd set of 70kg for 12 (lighter weights this week as starting strength again next week) I felt a little rough as you often do on leg days, so took my jacket off and had a little sit down for a minute. I felt better so went back out to do a set of seated calf raises and count my training partners reps, but as I did i started to feel super ill. 5...6...7... By this time the room was spinning wildly and my vision became really blurred, 11...12... "got sii dwn reeel fain.." my lips become numb and everything went dark. Somehow I managed to stumble into the changing room and sit down before I actually lost total control and blacked out. Our gym doesn't have a heater and the steam coming off me and the sweat dripping onto the floor wouldn't of looked out of place in sauna.
After about 5 minutes it passed and I got back to it, but ooee that was about as close as I've come and it wasn't pretty :p

Holy moly. Several factors came together today resulting in me being as close as you can possibly be to passing out at the gym. It was legs and I'd already done a few exercises including 2 sets of front squats. After finishing my 3rd set of 70kg for 12 (lighter weights this week as starting strength again next week) I felt a little rough as you often do on leg days, so took my jacket off and had a little sit down for a minute. I felt better so went back out to do a set of seated calf raises and count my training partners reps, but as I did i started to feel super ill. 5...6...7... By this time the room was spinning wildly and my vision became really blurred, 11...12... "got sii dwn reeel fain.." my lips become numb and everything went dark. Somehow I managed to stumble into the changing room and sit down before I actually lost total control and blacked out. Our gym doesn't have a heater and the steam coming off me and the sweat dripping onto the floor wouldn't of looked out of place in sauna.
After about 5 minutes it passed and I got back to it, but ooee that was about as close as I've come and it wasn't pretty :p

Jeez, never been anywhere near that bad. :D Were you eating sufficiently beforehand?

Feels good being back in the gym after almost 2 weeks. Hit chest today but started off with moderate to heavy cable flyes before hitting any presses and man the stretch/burn is epic :) First time I've started off with isolation.

Well my food intake today was one of the contributing factors. Rushed back and we had no eggs so decided to have tuna mayo instead with my rice, then we had no bananas (I always eat a banana minutes before I train) so I went without. Both of which heavily contributed imo.
How did you find the pressing though after cable, less weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom