Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Triggerthat, are you aiming to improve size or strength? or both?

I'd of worked in some seatedrows or Bent Over Barbell Rows into there. I find my forearms and biceps get enough work from a back workout followed by some short bicep isolation afterwards.

Try and use cables for the flyes.
I'd swap the pull ups for Lateral Pull down. Can get a much more controlled motion, assuming your not strong enough to do a 'controlled' pull up.

Personally I'd remove the biceps/forearm day, or do it after a back workout. Remove shoulders from the back day, and train them seperately. But thats just how I do it. You'll end up tinkering about and changing your plan eventually. But seems a good start :)

For me it goes:

Cardio/Abs, Chest & Triceps, Back & Biceps, Legs, Shoulders, Strength/powertraining & any odd isolation I feel like, Rest day.

There probably will be different answers but I would:

*move deadlift to the start of bicep day possibly move the shoulders after the deads and then do a couple of sets of biceps. It is a small muscle which will be overtrained if u set aside a whole session for it.

*Flesh out the back workout with pull downs and pull backs up to u to vary it, no one optimal exercise.

*move the dead lift, shoulder, bicep day to opposite end of your training week to the back day. Personally I train front delts on the deadlift day and side delts (and ofcourse rear as part of every compound back lift) on the back day.

*I'd do some calf raises on leg day and move abs to a less strenuous day (back/chest).

*Also I'd do my cardio after my weights so you can shift max weight. However it might not hurt to test how it effects your lifts once you have plateued abit, just for shocking the muscles into thinking they need to grow.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recommendations.

Benny06, mostly size.

I’ve taken them on board and come with the following; let me know what you think:

Chest / Triceps

Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Standing Cable Flys
Superset with something light

Dips
Close Grip Bench Press
Triceps Extension (over head)
Superset with something light

Back / Biceps

Dead lifts
Lateral Pull down
Dumbbell curls
Close Hand Barbell curls
Seated Rows

Legs

Barbell Squats
Dumbbell Lunges
Leg Press
Two isolated leg machines

Shoulders

Military Press – Seated barbell
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Barbell Upright Row
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises

Cardio

Cardio and Abs

Last edited:
Was going to give it 3 days. Is that OK?

I did my chest and bicepes yesterday and was going to do my shoulders today, but I am not sure if that's the right thing? Or maybe Back today (if I do back, that might strain my biceps?)

I wanted to get my programme sorted and then do it properly.

Last edited:
Triggerthat,

If you weren't already, you should do your compound exercises first and then follow them up with isolation. For example on your back day. Deadlift, Lateral Pull down & Seated Row. Then your dumbbell curls and close grip barbell curls.

trigger, how many days rest between shoulders and chest?

My 4 day split at the moment...

Monday - Legs
Wednesday - Chest + Biceps
Friday - Back
Saturday - Shoulders + Triceps

doesnt look bad that, ive been following a 3 day split of,
chest/bi
back/tri
legs/shoulders, with some cardio on off days
for a few months now and looking to change up to 4 days a week split, though recovery may be an issue as im old :p

:)

I have never understood training legs and shoulders on the same day, there's no way I could hit shoulders hard in a split like that, i'm generally pretty knackered after legs.

It's ok for starting out (like myself)....But naturally I presume once I get to a point I couldn't hit both muscle groups, I'd have to end up splitting the two.

have to squat first myself else i struggle with them

do seated DB presses, DB raises and DB rows on shoulder day

legs are bit shaky for standing presses..

Bicep and chest day today

EZBar Curls - 30kg (4 x 8)
Bench Press - 50kg x 5, 60kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 65kg x 5, 65kg x 5
One-armed Cable Curls - 15kg (3 x 8)
Dumbbell Flys - 15kgx2 (3 x 8)
Hammer Curls - 15kgx2 (3 x 5)
Incline Dumbbell Press - 20kgx2 (3 x 8) Personal Best
Pec Deck - 52.5kg (3 x 8)

Really noticing big improvements in my strength now, for example last week I was doing 40kg(20kg x2) DB shoulder presses, just over a month ago I was struggling with 20kg.

Because of this I'm feeling it a lot more the next day which is a good sign, and making big gains, especially upper body

Doing standing presses are easier on the lower back I find....If I stay seated and do them, my lower back get's used more.

im the opposite, find standing puts more strain on my lower back :p

thinking of new routines, might go for a 6-8 week cut,

anyone any thoughts on say a 4 day split to try and maintain lean mass while losing some BF?

Had a week off three weeks ago and had another week off last week. My legs felt like jelly all week and I've had a blocked nose and headache for the last 10 days. First time I've ever taken time off in four years due to illness.

Tonight I did the same chest workout I posted two weeks ago but this time managed to get it all done in 13 minutes instead of 16 :cool:

Plan to squat and deadlift 5x5 on Wednesday and hopefully keep it under 15 minutes.

Back/bi's tonight

Deads
60kx10
70kx10
80kx10
60kx10

Once again going from 5x5 to 4x10 is knackering! Had plans to do a 1rm after this because i was lifting lighter today but it wasnt happening :p

pull ups
6x5

Bor
50kx10
52.5kx10
55kx10

Lat pull
42x10x10
49x10

Was a good session, feel like i can do more though so will be looking for a good 4 day split.

Monday:

Don't feel too injured after the game bar a bit of a black eye and my knackered knuckle (broken :() which I did several weeks ago. Still have a bit of AC pain but I just have to be careful and keep to light weights for those sort of movements.

Back Squats:

16x60kg
12x100kg
10x120kg
8x140kg
6x160kg
6x160kg
DS: 12x120kg

Step ups:

6x135kg ( each leg)
6x135kg ( each leg)
6x135kg ( each leg)
6x135kg ( each leg)
6x140kg ( each leg)

Deadlifts:

10x100kg
10x140kg
8x180kg
5x200kg
DS:10x140kg

Leg extensions:

12xstack
12xstack
12xstack
10xstack
10xstack
7xstack

Total tonnage: 24460kg / 24.46 tonnes - I really want to break 30t on leg a leg day some time.

And that was me spent. Short intense session - about 60mins as I had to share the weights with some people. Good fun though, nice to be back into the swing of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom