Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna go to the gym today, I've been shifting barrow fulls of bricks and sand all morning! That'll do me. (I'm pretty knackered as well :p)

That said, I might do some ab work at home later on though

RAW????!!!! :eek:

Nothing wrong with eating it raw - quite common in other countries, although most in UK don't like the sound of it :p

From Wikipedia

Raw lean ground beef is used to make steak tartare, a French dish. More finely diced and differently seasoned, it is popular as a main course and as a dressing in Belgium, where it is known as filet américain ("American fillet").

Thats news to me too, i was under the impression that as it was minced the bad stuff on the outside of meat was mixed in with it all. Like you eat steaks raw but cook the outside to kill the bacteria...stand corrected though. Sounds quite tasty, you just season it with pepper?

Nothing wrong with eating it raw - quite common in other countries, although most in UK don't like the sound of it :p

From Wikipedia

It's your health, but you're taking a big gamble with it.

Steak tartar is typically made with very fresh high quality meat and is marinated in wine or lemon/lime juice which will kill bacteria on the surface of the mince.

Eating supermarket mince raw and un-marinated is like playing Russian roulette!

It's your health, but you're taking a big gamble with it.

Steak tartar is typically made with very fresh high quality meat and is marinated in wine or lemon/lime juice which will kill bacteria on the surface of the mince.

Eating supermarket mince raw and un-marinated is like playing Russian roulette!

I didn't think there was much risk associated with this at all, been eating this every now and again since I was a kid, and so have my parents :confused:

E.coli for one. It is most common in minced beef and it can kill you or leave you with permanent health problems.

It's fine to eat rare steak because harmful bacteria isn't naturally present in beef. But the surface is a perfect breading ground for it. Searing the outside will kill any bacteria on the surface, marinating it in alcohol or acidic juice will inhibit it. But, straight from the packet, if it's there you're in trouble!

You should only eat raw beef from a trusted source, and secondly, minced should only be eaten after being FRESHLY minced. I hope you didn't buy it from the supermarket and ate it raw from the packet!! All the bacteria is on the surface so by mincing it you're increasing the surface area ergo more area for bacteria.

Dude that's pretty dodgy... getting it from the butcher and seeing it minced in front of you there and then is cool (if you trust your butcher and if he's reputable of course)... but from the supermarket is really not safe at all. That's quite serious when I say that. Ok it's likely not to be THAT bad as it's packed in hygienic conditions - but nonetheless I'd be careful and stop that.

Now I love raw meat, and do eat a lot of blue/tartare steaks in France but I'd be wary of it from the supermarket or some dodgy butchers!

Dude that's pretty dodgy... getting it from the butcher and seeing it minced in front of you there and then is cool (if you trust your butcher and if he's reputable of course)... but from the supermarket is really not safe at all. That's quite serious when I say that. Ok it's likely not to be THAT bad as it's packed in hygienic conditions - but nonetheless I'd be careful and stop that.

Now I love raw meat, and do eat a lot of blue/tartare steaks in France but I'd be wary of it from the supermarket or some dodgy butchers!

I'll take your advice - will only get freshly minced if I decide to eat raw from now on, from a good butcher :) I always assumed it was OK as my parents ate it :p

Steak tartare is lovely, and everytime I visit family in holland always have plenty of fillet americain - nothing wrong with that at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom