Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't typed up a session in a while as I had lost my log book. So I have a new one!

Monday:

T-bar:

10x40kg+bar
10x80kg+bar
8x100kg+bar
8x100kg+bar
6x110kg+bar
ds:12x80kg+bar

Supersetted with bentover cable pull-downs:

12x100
12x100
10x100
10x100
10x100

BORs suppinated grip:

8x60kg
8x80kg
8x90kg
8x100kg
6x110kg

Close grip pull downs:

10x70kg
10x80kg
8x100kg

Wide grip pull downs:

10x70kg
8x90kg
8x100kg

Quick tricep superset:

Cable tricep extension:

10x100kg
8x100
8x100
7x100
6x100

Supersetted with DB tricep overhead extension:

6x14 (each arm)
6x14 (each arm)
6x14 (each arm)
6x12 (each arm)
5x12 (each arm)

Nice short sweet session. Got a great lat pump as a result so feel pretty good. Still carrying over some injuries from rugby but just focusing on working around them rather than exercising areas which aggrevate it.

I'm determined to get my t-bars a bit stronger, was hoping to get over 120kg, BORs need to get to over 120 too really. The reason I say "+bar" on t-bars is because the bar pivots on the bottom corner of the wall so although it's 20kg, there is some weight/force being taken by the wall. Technically the bar is loaded with 130kg at the end which is decent enough I guess.

My goals for the summer are to get my bench back up to 150kg (shoulder injury providing), squat 200kg, and deadlift 230kg. My aim for the end of the year are, 160kg bench, 200kg squats for reps, and 250kg deadlift, which would give me a total of 610kg which would do me quite nicely.

Looking for a bit of help if anyone has a moment.

Had a 3-day split specced on here a while back, arms/shoulders, chest/back, legs/abs, and has been going really well for the past few months, I'm eating big, definately happy with my gains :cool:

Now as of last week the free-weights area at the gym has all been closed off (some structural problems with the building) - they haven't given us an expected date for it to be reopened but it could be a couple of months...

All this leaves me able to do weights-wise is resistance/weight machines;

Lat Pull downs / Pull ups
Dips
Pec Fly
Row machine (can't remember the name, but similar to a bent over row)
Shoulder Press
Chest press
Leg press
And another two leg machines, can't remember the names, but you pull one down using your calves, and the other up using your quads.

Anyway, incredibly peeved off - there is no other gym i can use and the only thing i can think of at the moment is to maybe go down to a 2-day split doing chest/back on one day and legs/whatevers left on the other, the reason being there's seemingly nothing i can do for arms...

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this? Really don't want to stop or lose progress but it seems inevitable :mad:

I'm not so happy with my gains as of late but i'll keep training and eating and unless things improve i'll switch back to full body or Upper/Lower.

All things point to me needing to train a body part more than once every 7 days to grow properly.

Last few session i've been using GVT principles for chest and back.

For example, chest workout was something along the lines of what's below, although I can't remember if the numbers are correct.

Flat DB Bench (60 seconds rest between sets)
10x22.5KG
10x22.5KG
10x22.5KG
8x22.5KG
8x22.5KG
8x22.5KG
7x22.5KG
7x22.5KG
7x22.5KG
6x22.5KG

Incline Smith Bench (3 second negatives)
5x40KG
5x40KG
3x50KG
8x20KG

I've joined the gym round the courner from my house when I'm back from uni so I can continute to train. Very well equiped, tonnes of CV equipment, free weights upto 50KG dumbells, about 400KG in plates, olympic bench, 3 standard benches, cable crossover and everything is Nautilus. No power rack :( never had the pleasure of using one, or squatting freeweight above 60 kilo, smith machine has to suffice as per normal. Some very nice machines however some are god damn awful.

The nautilus lateral pull down is absolultey terrible, its more of an 'incline seated row' not only does it not have a 1 long bar, but 2 seperate handles which rotate through 360 degrees. 'Smart arms' their called, good but fricking terrible at the same time, totally not what im used to and I really don't feel it doing anything at all, other than wasting energy! Good thing they've got a chin-up/pull up station on the cable cross over! Some interesting peices of equipment though, very comfy, no plates though just a dial you turn that adds the weight for you.

http://www.nautilus.com/worldwide/n...prdcdovr~S6LATP/Nautilus+One+Lat+Pulldown.jsp
http://www.nautilus.com/global/popup_scene7.jsp?s7Tab=tabAlt

The handles dont even come out to the sides far enough!

Last edited:
depends on what you are doing really.
if its 1 exercise each session, then fair enough. but if its 3 exercises, hard (like you would a chest session for example), then no, its pointless. especially as you should be doing good compound moves which will work the core anyway.

Yeah its about 3/4 a muscle group, should I just change ab workout to one day then? One problem is I can't do big compound lifts like deadlifts, and squats/bench are limited to smith machine.

I've only just starting using the volume approach. It's produced some wicked DOMS, especially on a back day.

10 sets of chins with only 60 seconds rest in between!

Like I said, i'll stick with it for a little bit and then switch to a Upper/Lower split.

Well this has been a terrible couple of day as far as bodybuilding goes.

Got a virus on friday, had aches and pains in joints and muscles. So didnt train.

On saturday i had no appetite and massive headache + joint muscule pain, only managed 2 bits of toast all day!

Finaly today ive managed a small breakfast and lunch but still not enough. Weighed myself just there, lost 8 pounds :(

Dunno when ill be back in gym, hopefully soon.

Well this has been a terrible couple of day as far as bodybuilding goes.

Got a virus on friday, had aches and pains in joints and muscles. So didnt train.

On saturday i had no appetite and massive headache + joint muscule pain, only managed 2 bits of toast all day!

Finaly today ive managed a small breakfast and lunch but still not enough. Weighed myself just there, lost 8 pounds :(

Dunno when ill be back in gym, hopefully soon.

Its alright I would imagine most of that will be water weight

Seriously? So you cant do free squats? That's a shame because they do wonders for core and stability etc - The smith machine really targets your legs and glutes.

The only weights machines I like are the cables and the pec dec (love that thing :))

Nope, I'm thinking about getting two spotters and just putting the olympic bar in the smith machine and turning it into a power cage. I normally warm up with the heaviest barbell I can find. Love front squats!

I've currently got access to nautilus one resistance machines, very different to conventional ones, the pec dec, really really works, absolute agony!

Not your traditional looking pec fly...

Last edited:
Oh mighty fitness gurus of OCUK, I beseech thee;

I'm looking to do some work on my core muscles at home, specifically however, I'm looking to sort a niggling lower back issue that's been affecting me lately, and was wondering whether a stability ball would be a good idea? Does anyone here use one and would mind recommending a good training plan, or could anyone recommend any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Getting back to my high cardio routine now I can drive. Feeling so much fitter and healthier. 6lbs and then I'll start weight training, I think :)

Quick Q, what's a good post-gym snack? I'm starving and want to eat cake and cookies but I need something healthy!

Getting back to my high cardio routine now I can drive. Feeling so much fitter and healthier. 6lbs and then I'll start weight training, I think :)

Quick Q, what's a good post-gym snack? I'm starving and want to eat cake and cookies but I need something healthy!

Post workout its always good to have some fast acting carbs along with some protein.

I personally use WMS (waxy maize starch) and some whey, mixed with water :) then a balanced meal 30-45 mins after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom