Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post workout its always good to have some fast acting carbs along with some protein.

I personally use WMS (waxy maize starch) and some whey, mixed with water :) then a balanced meal 30-45 mins after.

Not really looking for shakes or anything, I'd rather some food. I'm not doing massive bodybuilding, just lots of cardio followed by swimming.

Crave sugar reaally badly. Had some tiger bread with nutella and feel bad now :(

Banana would've been good but I still crave the taste of chocolate. It's awful.

Not really looking for shakes or anything, I'd rather some food. I'm not doing massive bodybuilding, just lots of cardio followed by swimming.

Crave sugar reaally badly. Had some tiger bread with nutella and feel bad now :(

Banana would've been good but I still crave the taste of chocolate. It's awful.

Healthy balanced meal then - definetely not white bread with nutella ;)

Ok guys,I know you get posts like this every other week but I am another skinny weakling geek that needs to sort it out.

however do not fret. I probably will need some help but for now I have read Gordy's sticky and know what I must do. Enough talking it is time for some action.

This post is more of an official, I have started bodybuilding so that in a few months I can compare my progress to the skinny weakling I am today.

Wish me luck.

Ok guys,I know you get posts like this every other week but I am another skinny weakling geek that needs to sort it out.

however do not fret. I probably will need some help but for now I have read Gordy's sticky and know what I must do. Enough talking it is time for some action.

This post is more of an official, I have started bodybuilding so that in a few months I can compare my progress to the skinny weakling I am today.

Wish me luck.

Good luck :D

This forum will come in very useful a lot of good info in a few threads :)

Wish me luck.

Remember to take some pics, they are defiantely the best motivator

Wish me luck.
good luck ive been going since the start of january although to everyone else i probably havent changed but its nice when you get an itch goto scratch it and realise your muscles have actually changed a lot.

the following day after a weights session is always nice aswell as you can feel your muscles right pumped up :D i miss the aching i used to get in my muscles when i first started though :(

i used to go to open a jar etc after a work out and i could feel my chest muscles working to open the lid , i dont get that anymore :(

Oh mighty fitness gurus of OCUK, I beseech thee;

I'm looking to do some work on my core muscles at home, specifically however, I'm looking to sort a niggling lower back issue that's been affecting me lately, and was wondering whether a stability ball would be a good idea? Does anyone here use one and would mind recommending a good training plan, or could anyone recommend any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly if you have back problems I'd see an osteo/physio type of person as they'd be able to give you a better idea of what it is.

Core exercises aren't likely to aggrevate the problem but it's still something I'd want to check out properly first.

Good core exercises are simple things like planks, side planks, bodyweight squats, single leg squats.

Have a read through here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ing_performance/a_better_body_without_weights

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...rformance/stuff_you_should_be_doing_but_arent

The latter one is really worth giving a go.

Ditch the front raises as they're covered by DB/bench press work and inclines anyway.

Side lateral raises with cables are awesome, slow controlled movements work best.

Stand Military press or push press work well for caning the shoulders.

Arnies are worth while but do them without the backrest for more core/strength development, with the backrest for more isolation but less "form" if you see what I mean.

Don't bother with behind the neck press.

Powercleans are also IMO vital for soem decent shape.

Bent over lateral raises are good. Again as the other exercises, light with high volume. 5 sets minimum and 10 reps minimum.

I'd do tri's on a back day personally but that's your call. :)

How's your back development?

5'7" - short arse :p So that's going to make you look even stockier (git :() - problem with being 6'1" is that to look "powerful" you have to pack on so much more muscle before you even start to look stocky.

Do not neglect your legs. You will limit your development as your body likes symmetry/balance.

Forearms come with just heavy deadlifts, powercleans, BORs and heavy compound exercises providing you don't use straps! You can do rever ez bar curls which hit the forearms and DB or BB flexion exercises - look up forearm exercises on t-nation, they have some good ones. :)

Certainly some good gains though - well done. I hope you didn't perceive my post as negative!

Yeah I think i'll add in the stand press and sitting arnies. I find my shoulders get tired quite quickly though.

I can't powerclean because we don't have a bar at the gym, i've got one at home but can't see that going down too well :D

How come 5 set minimum? I usually do 3x8 on a normal weight or 3x6 on a heavy weight (eg 3x6 @ 32kg BOR)

My back isn't that bad, as i've been focusing on it quite a lot recently. Got 4x100kg Deadlifts on smith a few days a go (with the step block to raise the floor) bearing in mind I weigh 63-65kg I was happy with that. Lat pull downs I do 3x6 @ 70kg so perhaps not so good. Then it's just the machines which I find a bit rubbish anyway, such as the seated row.

Haha, yep! I'd rather be 6'1 though :D

I have been trying to do my legs, I managed 100kg half squats on smith (with bench under me) and about 80kg normal, but i'm moving quite quickly up the weight on my legs for some reason every week.

Cheers for the pointers :)

Got a new routine made up. Want to pass it by the vets to see if all is ok :p I prefer workout out more often with shorter workouts
managed to put on 2 stone since July and have squeezed all the newbie gains out of me. 5ft 9.5 :p @ 168lbs

Monday - Chest/ Triceps
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Incline Flies
Close Grip Bench
Tricep Extensions
Dips

Tuesday - Back
Chin & Pull Ups
Deadlift
Shrugs
Bent Over Row

Wednesday – Biceps/ Abs
EZ or BB Curls
Hammer Curls
Hanging Leg Raises
Weighted Crunches
Dumbell Side Bends

Thursday - Shoulders
Military Press
Arnold Press
Upright Rows
Lateral Raises

Friday - Legs
Full Squats
Calf Raises
Straight Legged Deadlift

Weekend - Off

Firstly if you have back problems I'd see an osteo/physio type of person as they'd be able to give you a better idea of what it is.

Core exercises aren't likely to aggrevate the problem but it's still something I'd want to check out properly first.

Good core exercises are simple things like planks, side planks, bodyweight squats, single leg squats.

Have a read through here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ing_performance/a_better_body_without_weights

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...rformance/stuff_you_should_be_doing_but_arent

The latter one is really worth giving a go.

Thanks Freefaller,will give those a go. :)

Yeah I think i'll add in the stand press and sitting arnies. I find my shoulders get tired quite quickly though.

I can't powerclean because we don't have a bar at the gym, i've got one at home but can't see that going down too well :D

How come 5 set minimum? I usually do 3x8 on a normal weight or 3x6 on a heavy weight (eg 3x6 @ 32kg BOR)

My back isn't that bad, as i've been focusing on it quite a lot recently. Got 4x100kg Deadlifts on smith a few days a go (with the step block to raise the floor) bearing in mind I weigh 63-65kg I was happy with that. Lat pull downs I do 3x6 @ 70kg so perhaps not so good. Then it's just the machines which I find a bit rubbish anyway, such as the seated row.

Haha, yep! I'd rather be 6'1 though :D

I have been trying to do my legs, I managed 100kg half squats on smith (with bench under me) and about 80kg normal, but i'm moving quite quickly up the weight on my legs for some reason every week.

Cheers for the pointers :)

Shoulders in my experience require a lot of volume. 3x8, isn't really enough. IMO and experience, if I can do 3x8 of an exercise it's ok, but it's not really "pushing" myself. If you actually manage to 3x8 then surely you could do more? 5 sets IMO unless you're supersetting, even then I prefer 4 sets as a minimum, is not enough for decent development. Especially if you want to get the intensity/volume ratio right. Or even good ol' pyramid training, 3 sets just doesn't seem enough to me.

MY shoulders tire very quickly too - but you just have to push through the pain barrier. :)

I can't re-iterate enough how important legs are to overall body development. Don't neglect them!

LAt pull downs are ok, but wide grip chins are the daddy. Supersetted with some BORs or cable rows they work magnificently together. :)

Enjoyed my triceps, shoulders and chest day today, here's how it went (in order)

DUMBBELL BENCH: 10X20KG 10X24KG 10X24KG (all weights are total, not per hand)
FRONT RAISE: 10X15KG 10X15KG 8X20KG
CABLE PUSHDOWN (two hands): 10X17.5KG 10X21KG 10X21KG
DUMBBELL FLY: 10X15KG 8X15KG 8X15KG
SHOULDER PRESS (DB): 10X15KG 6X20KG 5X20KG
CABLE FLY: 10X20KG 6X25KG 3X25KG* 8X20KG extra set here because I was disappointed with only 3 on the third set, so I turned down the weight and did another
SKULL CRUSHER 10X12KG 8X14KG 8X14KG
INCLINE DUMBBELL BENCH: 10X20KG 6X24KG 6X24KG
*look at the clock and sprint out because I'm late for tea* which was a shame because, while I had finished my routine, I felt that my triceps had more to give, and I wanted to do some more pushdowns, and some ab work.

With the cable fly guys, do you have them both set to the top and bend over, as per here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/CBStandingFly.html
Or do you have them set lower and take a step back, so that you close them infront of you?

Also, any comments on the exercises that I'm doing?

edit: I just read your post above FF, and I'll be doing 4 sets of everything from now on :)

3rd training day so far with squats in every session, going well so far and I've got a lot more left in me :)

So far :

Sunday - 80kg x 9 x 4
Tuesday - 85kg x 7 x 5
Wednesday - 90kg x 5 x 7

Depending how I feel on Friday I'm either going to go for 95kg or 100kg x 3 x 10

Lets see what progress I make on squats in the next few weeks with this :)

Went gym tonight to do some speed deadlifts and pulled my back for the umpteenth time doing some warm up sets with the bar. Think it's probably time to admit my back's wrecked and give up deadlifting for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom