Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I think the freeweights are good because of the extra muscles involved but the extra weight you can get from say a smith must account for something but it's a lot more isolated?

I usually do both or just dumbells anyway just wondered. My combined dumbell weight is very close to what I rep on the smith anyway but on the smith I go down to almost touching my chest on the dumbells my arms are are about 180 degrees when i'm at the lowest point.

also how do you develop the inner bit of your chest or does that just come with more size?

Last edited:
Back day on Friday:

Deadlift:
10xbar
10x70kg
10x90kg
10x110kg
10x110kg
10x90kg
10x70kg

Assisted Pullups (BW = 114kg):
10xBW-40kg
10xBW-35kg
10xBW-40kg
10xBW-40kg

BOR:
10x50kg
10x60kg
10x60kg
10x60kg

One arm row (DB, each hand):
10x30kg
10x32kg
10x34kg
10x30kg

Wide arm pulldowns:
10x56kg
10x63kg
10x70kg
6x70kg (fail)

Cream crackered, and stiff as a board for the past 2 days. :) Wanted to get some vertical rows in, but ran out of time. Mind you, traps are stiff after those DLs and BORs anyway. :)

my upper forearms, lower biceps and joints feel like committing suicide whenever I attempt that exercise so I'm sort of avoiding it lol.
plenty of other exercises for lateral delts and traps as well.

yep, works the stabilizers as well.
I'm not too happy about the peck deck either, but until I discover another good chest exercise that doesn't kill my shoulder joints and doesn't involve decline pushing it will have to do.

Light flies or cable flies shouldn't hurt. And if it does, go and see your doctor or physio!!

so what's best:

30kg dumbell press

or

80kg smith?

Well smith you need to knock off about 15kg for "real" weight translation IMO. 30kg DBs isn't bad, how many reps?

my right shoulder was really noisy a few years ago, but lately it doesn't bother me.
a bit of warming up, correct form of exercises and some glucosamine does wonders.
the thing is, it doesn't bother me on bench pressing or any shoulder exercises.
If I were to do overhead military presses for example, I'm sure it wouldn't like it so I just do the front version without any problems.

At the dumbbell flies flies, I'm trying to keep my arms almost straight throughout the movement and go as low as possible, and the lowest part of the movement feels really uncomfortable.

I haven't tried cable flies cause the cables are hardly ever free in the gym I go to, but will attempt that next week to see how they feel.

that's a lot better than 80 on Smith. 80 on smith is about 32-33 in the dumbbell equivalent in terms of strength, provided your stabilizers don't mind it.
btw Freefaller, the 15th kg part ain't always right :p.
For example I can hardly do more on Smith than I can do on normal flat bench, maybe 2 reps more but that's it.
might be true for large numbers tho.

I can press over 160kg on the smith, but only around 150 on flat, it definitely helps IMO.

As for flies there should be a slight kink and "lock" in your elbows. Light flies shouldn't cause any pain. I'd suggest you have an RC joint issue and you should go see to it or look up RC exercises and do some religiously. They are basically extremely light high rep exercises, vital IMO.

If you can press 38kg for reps it's much much better than 80kg on a smith.

But my form on a Smith is better than dumbells I think. Dumbells I go down about 180 degrees but smith I go down further and it brings my shoulders in too much I feel, but also feels better on chest.

160kg on smith :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom