Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still progressing on my Bench :)

60x10
70x2
80x1
90x1
100x5
100x5
97.5 x 5 x3

Deadlifts:

70x10
110x10
150x5x2
160x5x2
165x5

Finished with some cable crunches and cable flies. Quite tired, so called it a day. Short and Sweet.

Quick question gents. I've recently begun to use the leg press (2nd time yesterday) and would like to know what others put on it compared to their squat.

I squat 110kg for 3x8, and on the press I managed 200kg for 3x8, does that ratio sound about right?

Nate

yep, sounds rite. I can get similar proportions, a bit less weight tho.
this does depends however on the angle of the press. the bigger the angle, the more you lift.

yep, sounds rite. I can get similar proportions, a bit less weight tho.
this does depends however on the angle of the press. the bigger the angle, the more you lift.

By the bigger angle, do you mean negative? so your effectively below the weight, pushing it upwards? Thinking about it, you cant really push weight down :p

i stopped going to my gym after xmas as I had just moved and couldn't find the time as i had to decorate as I am expecting to be a dad again soon. i have been working out at home but its never the same is it.

anyone here find it hard to motivate yourself to rejoin a gym after you had left for a while

By angle I was thinking about the angle that your legs make with the ground while you're pushing.
a 30 degree angle means you're only pushing 1/3 of the actual weight on the machine (well a bit more, if we also consider friction), a 45 degree angle makes you push about half. a 90 degree angle would mean literally having a bar on your perpendicular feet while sitting with your back on the ground, and pushing every bit of it. :p

Yes you can, 1 example.... tricep PUSHDOWNs ;]

The bars being pushed down, and the weights being lifted UP by the series of cables, no? A pushdown is more or less the same thing as lying on a bench with a barbell and pushing it towards the ceiling, pivoting at the elbows, the same for french press. Pushdowns with ropes, bars and handles surely is just this standing. I think what im trying to say is weight is either pushed or pulled up?

Awaiting correction :p

The bars being pushed down, and the weights being lifted UP by the series of cables, no? A pushdown is more or less the same thing as lying on a bench with a barbell and pushing it towards the ceiling, pivoting at the elbows, the same for french press. Pushdowns with ropes, bars and handles surely is just this standing. I think what im trying to say is weight is either pushed or pulled up?

Awaiting correction :p

Well..the weight is moving in an upwards motion yes....But to get it up you have to push 'down' theoretically.

Well..the weight is moving in an upwards motion yes....But to get it up you have to push 'down' theoretically.

yeah, so technically your pushing the weight up, well the bar down and the weight moves up. Pushing weight down wouldn't be beneficial because of gravity and if the weight could be pushed down it'd already be on the floor? Don't know if that makes sense but hopefully someone can see what im getting at!

If not we'll have to agree to disagree! :p

Still feeling ill today, missed yesterdays workout,so i did it today.

squats

30kg x3x5
50kg x3x5
70kg x3x5
90kg x5x5

overhead press

37.5kg x5x5

Deadlift

115kg x2x5 PB :D

Pull ups 3xf

Split my pants doing squats ATG lol.

yeah, so technically your pushing the weight up, well the bar down and the weight moves up. Pushing weight down wouldn't be beneficial because of gravity and if the weight could be pushed down it'd already be on the floor? Don't know if that makes sense but hopefully someone can see what im getting at!

If not we'll have to agree to disagree! :p

But then you would be pulling the weight up and down....with the use of a pulley like system you are effectively pushing the weight down, as there is a negative effect so the weight brings itself back up ;)

had a decent chest session today. :D
Bench press:
10x 50
10x 60
8 x 70
7 x 80

Incline dumbbell press:
10 x 20
10 x 24
8 x 28
7 x 32

And peck deck flies:
10 x 40
10 x 50
10 x 60
8 x 70

very happy with replacing the dumbbell flies with the machine ones as my shoulders no longer feel like coming off their sockets.

yep, works the stabilizers as well.
I'm not too happy about the peck deck either, but until I discover another good chest exercise that doesn't kill my shoulder joints and doesn't involve decline pushing it will have to do.

that's weird, I notice that on my friends as well.
I've got a mate who can do 80 for 8 reps, while I'm struggling for 5, yet when it comes to incline dumbbell press, well he struggles for 26 more than I struggle for 32.
probably because of the stabilizers.
smith=zero stabilizers involved
barbell= quite a bit of stabilizers
dumbbell= a lot of stabilizers involved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom