Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, at your age your body is doing so much growing and changing that you should just eat a lot of good food. Worry about protein shakes later. You don't "need" them IMO, they are useful to supplement your diet but they are no replacement for good food. Right now your body needs a lot of nutrients from all sorts of different sources and relying on shakes is lazy and not the best route to take.

Indeed, if you can eat the food, then take that route.

I'm only having shakes due to the fact I can't really get the food at the moment :(

I mean for convenience a shake is probably easier, I'm just wondering if there is any real reason why i shouldnt try it. It shouldn't do any harm should it, i mean it's just a large dose of protein isn't it?

I eat very well anyway, large cereal breakfast, try to stomach some sort of school lunch, then a full evening meal at home - all of which are healthy, and I'm trying to avoid puddings/chocolate obviously.

I mean for convenience a shake is probably easier, I'm just wondering if there is any real reason why i shouldnt try it. It shouldn't do any harm should it, i mean it's just a large dose of protein isn't it?

I eat very well anyway, large cereal breakfast, try to stomach some sort of school lunch, then a full evening meal at home - all of which are healthy, and I'm trying to avoid puddings/chocolate obviously.

There are no negatives unless you drank tons and tons (over 3 litres daily) which at your age might over time strain your kidneys

Fundamentally though m8, considering the average diet of kids these days, a good protein supplement could do him a lot of good? I dont see it harming him any.

No you're right, fundamentally there's nothing wrong with it, it's just very good bioavailable protein. However at that age I'd be concerned about educating myself on eating well and properly. He'll have the growth hormones surging through his body and his metabolic rate will be through the roof, so I think personally that concentrating on eating a decent amount of good food is much more sensible. It's about education not folding to the lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, protein shakes have their place and I use them, however, they still supplement and shouldn't REPLACE good diet and food and nutrition education.

I guess what people are trying to say is if your eating healthfully which you say you are there really is know reason to waste money on a supplement your body wont really need or take full advantage of. Any way I'm 99% sure your body will only absorb so much then pass the excess out when you go to the toilet.

Cod Liver Oil Capsules?

Care to explain the benefits of these Tank? I'm interested. They're not particulary expensive from what I remember? As you've said you regret not taking them when you are younger, I'm 19, something I should be taking? I'm not on any supps or juice. What are the benefits?

trying out new split hows it look

today moderate 8-6 reps
------
deadlifts : 10x60kg, 6x80kg, 6x90kg, 6x90kg
Hyperextension 8x10kg, 8x10kg
Flat DB press 8x60kg,6x60kg,6x60kg
widegrip pull up 4 sets of 6-8
seated DB shoulder press 8x22.5k,8x22.5,6x25kg
preacher curl super setted with skull crushers
8x40kg curl / 8x35k sk, 6x40kg,8x27kg

wed will be light 10-12 reps

-----------

lunges
leg extension
DB incline press
standing military press
dips
calf raises
1 db bent row

friday is heavy 4-6 reps

-------

squats 4 sets
flat barbell chest press
bb bent over row
wide grip pull ups
seated row
leg curl
standing bb curl super setted with overhead tri extension

i want to hit all over for a while as i have been slacking last few months and want to get back into hit

far too complex, far too many exercises, just doesnt make sense m8 why would you think thats a good workout plan? Im not saying its 'wrong' or that it'll do you harm but its not very optimal.

Cod Liver Oil Capsules?

Care to explain the benefits of these Tank? I'm interested. They're not particulary expensive from what I remember? As you've said you regret not taking them when you are younger, I'm 19, something I should be taking? I'm not on any supps or juice. What are the benefits?

Basically the benefits are as follows... the science behind it is fascinating if you want to read up on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

* Increases fat burning
* Decreases fat storage
* Increases insulin sensitivity
* Maintains healthy joints
* Reduces levels of excess cortisol
* Dramatically improves health

can you give me some advice then on a 3 day split

My advice is "simplify, simplify, simplify"

Be better if you could do a 4 day split but nonetheless.

First stick to a rep range, you want a minimum of 6 weeks at a given intensity/volume so do 12 reps, or 10 reps or 8 reps or 6 reps, dont keep mixing, at your level thats just not needed, neither are supersets and other fancy techniques. Slow down fast up, thats all you need technique wise.

IIWU id take 12 reps as a starter and decrease every 6 weeks. Shoot for 4 sets.

Day 1
Incline bench
Bar dips
Tricep press down
Flat flye.

Day 2
Standing shoulder press
Back squat
SLDL
Arnold press

Day 3
Deadlift
Bent over row
lat pull down
Shrugs

That hits everything you need hombre. With the right weight it'll tear you a new one too. Start with something you know you can lift and aim to add at least 2.5kg to the bar every week. Should transition smoothly between rep ranges too.

Basically the benefits are as follows... the science behind it is fascinating if you want to read up on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

* Increases fat burning
* Decreases fat storage

I'm taking omega 3 fish oils atm...How much are you actually taking per day at the moment out of interest?

LabR@t: Just keep it at 3 for the time being, you'll need the rest days in between work outs...Just try out what Ultra has suggested and see how thing's pan out :)

* Increases fat burning
* Decreases fat storage

I feel like a fool for not having been taking them already! What size capsules are you taking out of interest? And I assume any brand is as good as the next?

Edit: 1000mg seems to be the norm. About £10 for 360, which should get you 60 days at 6 capsules a day. Anywhere you'd recommend to buy from? Is 6 per day the dosage? or is it calculated by age, height, weight etc?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom