Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
6ft bar only weighs 7kg?! What's it made out of? Polystyrene?

we've got two of these, they are 6ft long, and are called "olympic "light" bars" and there's a notice saying put max 50k including the bar that weights 7.

look as thick as normal Olympic bars but they are really light. and they bend like hell if you put 80kg on them (compared to the oly bars that barely bounce a bit when someone puts 150) so they must be made of polystyrene, yes. :cool:

Exactly how destructive is alcohol towards bulking up?

Say you spent a good 2 hours in the gym and had a few glasses of wine (6-7) units in the evening, would that completely mess up your effort?

When back from university I usually drink a small glass of red wine every night, but I'm contemplating cutting it out completely as I start taking the gym more seriously in the coming few months. Thoughts?

I wish it were as simple as having a damn good hard work out and not worrying about anything else :)

What's your goals mate, to be fit and healthy? Leave the booze for special occasions or once a month treat. I drink very rarely once a month, i just don't see the point when in training.

Well, tonight I learnt that I should probably do more for my rotator cuffs. Was a company bash and there were balloons, and it turned into a silly balloon hitting fiasco and as I went for a volleyball-esque spike, I had a massive twinge in my shoulder and it really hurt. I thought I had ripped something, but luckily it feels fine now. Defo going to be routines more aimed at flexibility.

What's your goals mate, to be fit and healthy? Leave the booze for special occasions or once a month treat. I drink very rarely once a month, i just don't see the point when in training.

Thing is I genuinely enjoy a nice glass of wine or a pint on a hot day. I'm not one of these louts who drink solely to get drunk. Although obviously when the occasion calls I'm up to the challenge :)

I'm just curious as to whether anyone knows how bad it actually is. If I'm doing a 2 hour gym session (30 minute run, 40 minutes weights, 50 minute swim) I'm obviously doing myself favours but is this completely ruined by even ONE glass of wine?

Alcohol especially high volumes in a short period of time will have a detrimental effect on your test levels and takes a few days to bring them back up.

I seldom drink anyway but you have to balance it, you can't be a square either.

Alcohol especially high volumes in a short period of time will have a detrimental effect on your test levels and takes a few days to bring them back up.

I seldom drink anyway but you have to balance it, you can't be a square either.

Alcohol is my biggest downfall in terms of training.

I never really miss a session and generally eat well, but i'm young and alcohol is still a pretty big part of my life socially

Same here. Although since buying the house in Feburary I haven't been drinking nearly as much and I can honestly say there has been a difference in my training and physique also.

Glad to hear it mate, I'm really scared of getting injured, especially since I've always had quite clicky joints etc, so I'm still finding my level with stuff like the deadlift, although, I found 60kg really easy the other day I'm taking it steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom