Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, i had generally stayed away from bb bench for quite a while before the injury as well, only doing it to lift heavier weight.
much prefer db's!

actually, i am sure i did a 155 at some point, as i was intending to enter a comp and 155 was the min you had to be able to lift!
hmm, was near on a year ago now lol, so crap!

its supposed to promote growth and endurance akin to german volume training (GVT)

do 10x10 of your main compound lift for each muscle group then say 4x10 of the auxillary lifts

sort of based on the theory we dont work hard enough in the gym and this forces you to up your work rate

and you do have to drop the normal weights you use i try for 60% of my PB's

depends on your grip, but if your lifting weights you should be able to close #1 a few times and slowly build up.

if not grab both the next one down and the #1, even though i can close the #2 i still use the #1 for warming up so its always handy to have a weaker one anyways.

Guys just a quick question about cardio, I'm currently eating like a horse, training hard and sleeping well, but I seem to be putting on body fat a bit quicker than I would like at the moment, mostly due to being at home and my mums cooking. What I eat in the day is under my control to a certain extent but she cooks dinner most of the time (sometimes I do). So if I were to say do 30 minutes of HIIT every other day would this have a big adverse effect on my potential muscle gains?

cheers

2 young lads in gym today made me laugh they went straight to bench press wacked on 110K and then done some 1/3 range presses between them. ( in between the giggles and constant phone calls )

ie spotter was stretching beforehand!

then I think they did a load of preacher curls and went.

why bother ? !

Just make sure you account for the calories you burn in your diet

Doing cardio is very important during bulking to ensure fat is kept to a minimum. Assuming you do a Monday/Wednesday/Friday weights day split, I'd try and do a 40-45 minute steady state run, keeping to 60-70% maximum heartrate, then on the Thursday, go for 30 minutes of HIIT, and if you're feeling up to it, go for a swim over the weekend

kl thanks for the advice steedie, so should I eat more to balance out the cardio? Or will this just negate it? I really don't want to inhibit the muscle growth and would rather get fat and lose it later than over train.

It depends what you are trying to do. If you want to build muscle, then you always have to be eating more than you burn.

So if you go and do HIIT training and burn 500 calories, you'll have to make sure you still get that 500 calories from somewhere or at the end of the day, you'll have eaten the same as you normally would, but your calorie intake will be below maintenance so you'll not see any gains

Unfortunatley building muscle and losing fat is a very hard thing to do, and usually means one of the two will see very slow progress because of the other

So all you can do is minimize the fat gain by doing regular cardio. As well as this, you could eat just over your maintenance by say 1-200 calories which again, will see minimal fat gain, but very slow muscle gains

:eek:

30 minutes of hiit? I can't see someone doing 30 minutes of proper HIIT unless they are SERIOUSLY elite.

Really? I wouldn't call myself particularly fit and I manage 1 session a week at the moment, 60 seconds running and 30 seconds sprint, I find its all about will power. It goes without saying that I collapse in a sweaty heap by the end of it though lol.:o

I usually do 30 minutes if I can

Start off doing 2 minutes of 10kmh and then 1 minute at 14kmh

Then after fifteen minutes I do 1 and a half minutes at 9kmh and 1 minute at 12kmh

Seems ok, although I am cream crackered after

I tend to do mine on a circuit down the farm track across the road from me and back up through my village and I just keep going until my times up, tends to be 1 and a bit loops. A part of my route is uphill too which really takes it out of you. I'd be too scared to do it on a treadmill in case I got flung off the back.

I guess you aren't running FULL out for those 30 seconds...

I'd say that was too much hiit, please take a look at this table:

251interval_big.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom