*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Associate
Can you imagine the reaction if it's just to announce that they're delaying the release in more countries to help cope with demand where it's already on sale? :D

Soldato
I'm hoping for a volunartily recall. I.E. if you have a problem with it you can get it swapped at an Apple Store, otherwise Nothing to see here, carry on.

It's weird.... today I'm in the office that can see the Apple store as per the launch (but far too smashed to go there today) and they're all takig the wee-wee out of me for buying one at launch! Annoyingly I'm off to Malta on Monday, so won't be able to do whatever recall Apple announce!

I think that's a possibility - offer to swap them out, but no official 'it's borked and we know it, bring them all back and we'll start again'.

There's a difference between a recall, and warranty returns.

Soldato
People this is an Apple Press Conference.

All they will do is try to explain away any problems, it will be purely a marketing exercise to convince everyone there are no issues, "just a software glitch".

Soldato
I'm hoping for a volunartily recall. I.E. if you have a problem with it you can get it swapped at an Apple Store, otherwise Nothing to see here, carry on.

That's what I'm expecting. Headline news will be that the problem's been fixed with modifications to future handsets (probably presented as 'now iPhone's even better' rather than 'we messed up'). They'll quietly add that anyone who's dissatisfied can swap their phone out in store, but won't start any kind of recall themselves.

Soldato
Just got mine, anyone else had screen flicker?

Oh and just called up O2 to change my contract to an iPhone Simplicity (12month contract). I was told I can have have the £15 /month with 300 mins + unlimited texts + unlimited data, I thought they'd stopped doing unlimited data and capped it at 500mb? Could it be because I'm already on a normal Simplicity 30-day contract with an unlimited data bolt-on (£20 /month)?

Soldato
Just got mine, anyone else had screen flicker?

Oh and just called up O2 to change my contract to an iPhone Simplicity (12month contract). I was told I can have have the £15 /month with 300 mins + unlimited texts + unlimited data, I thought they'd stopped doing unlimited data and capped it at 500mb? Could it be because I'm already on a normal Simplicity 30-day contract with an unlimited data bolt-on (£20 /month)?

I think if you sign up before August you still get Unlimited Data with the Simplicity plans.

Associate
dont bother with o2 simplicity, get the tesco15 quid 30day contract. They use o2 any way, same deal but 500mins (no wifi though, but there data is unlimitied).

Soldato
just found this

Although we are only minutes away from learning what course of action Apple will take in addressing and, hopefully, repairing the iPhone 4 reception issues that have plagued the device since its release late last month, there are mixed expectations among many Wall Street analysts and industry observers regarding what specific steps the company will take to finally put this corporate and consumer nightmare to rest.

Not only are analysts confounded by what Apple can or should do, there are reports that executives at the company wrestled with the exact course of action and careful wording of the announcement through late Thursday. As a result of this after-hours deliberation (perhaps a process that will continue right until the press conference actually begins), the Wall Street Journal is quoting one analyst who sees a “higher probability” than ever of a voluntary recall or in-store repair of the phone.

An across the board recall of the iPhone 4 is no longer on the "highly anticipated" list of most analysts. RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky says Apple will use the media today to not only address the current model's antenna flaws but also to acknowledge design improvements that will eliminate the problem for those purchasing the handset from this point forward. In other words, expect the looming spotlight consumption to be as self-serving for Apple as possible.

Gleacher & Company analyst Brian Marshall has much simpler expectations from Apple
mag-glass_10x10.gif
. Marshall predicts that Apple will bluntly apologize for the frustrations born of the glitch, mitigate the severity of the problem, and roll out a free bumper program (via Apple gift card) to iPhone 4 customers experiencing the "Death Grip."

Apple's much-anticipated press conference begins today at 10:00 am PST, 1:00 pm EST.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Possibly, but that would mean they've changed the hardware and they wouldn't of carried on producing iPhones if that was going to happen. And as we haven't heard anything from China about stopping production or changing the design, I highly a doubt there's a fix on the way.

Back
Top Bottom