• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
MSAA appears to be the culprit. Disabled all AA and it disappeared. Enabled FXAA and reflection AA and it stayed away. Enabled MSAA and it came back.

Hi Superpatsy I have exactly the same issue, so running without MSAA at the moment. No biggy, as I want 60fps and FXAA is enough for me at 1080p. I am also getting a few nasty stutters when driving but that is probably my 4gb system ram.

Win7 64, I5 2500k 4.2ghz, 4gb ram, R9 280X.

Caporegime
OP
Hi Superpatsy I have exactly the same issue, so running without MSAA at the moment. No biggy, as I want 60fps and FXAA is enough for me at 1080p. I am also getting a few nasty stutters when driving but that is probably my 4gb system ram.

Win7 64, I5 2500k 4.2ghz, 4gb ram, R9 280X.

I think you may be right, 8GB should be the minimum these days. :)

Soldato
I'll try a game and report back sorry this has gone on longer than intended.

I did have a latency issue once, it was mainly audio popping during video playback or gaming. What resolved it for me was going into the mobo bio's and disabling all CPU power saving features and that fixed it and I never had the issue again.

Caporegime
OP
I did have a latency issue once, it was mainly audio popping during video playback or gaming. What resolved it for me was going into the mobo bio's and disabling all CPU power saving features and that fixed it and I never had the issue again.

Interesting, what cpu do you have? Was this when you used Vsync? Do you have more than one monitor? What did you disable exactly?

Sorry for the forty questions. :p

Soldato
Interesting, what cpu do you have? Was this when you used Vsync? Do you have more than one monitor? What did you disable exactly?

Sorry for the forty questions. :p

No worries Matt! :D FX-9590, only one panel connected, if I remember correctly I don't think V-sync made a difference on or off. Give me two mins I will check in my bios as I cant remember off the top of my head. BRB :)

Soldato
setting a 60hz refresh rate seems to be the culprit. I can run GTA V at 3840x2160 at 30hz no issues. As soon as i select 60hz at 4k/1440p it flickers and pops.

Interesting. Desktop and gaming are fine at 30hz.

Soldato
OK, I just checked and it was C1E disabled, Core C6 State disabled, and CPU core activation set to manual. I am not sure if it was necessary to disable all of these options I just disabled them all and it was sorted. Asus Formula Z board BTW. :)

setting a 60hz refresh rate seems to be the culprit. I can run GTA V at 3840x2160 at 30hz no issues. As soon as i select 60hz at 4k/1440p it flickers and pops.

Interesting. Desktop and gaming are fine at 30hz.

I guess it could be the cable then, not enough bandwidth maybe?

Associate
May have been asked before, but has anyone been having issues with VRAM in GTA V with crossfire enabled?

I have 2 Sapphire Tri-X r9 290s with 4GB VRAM, on a fresh install of Win8.1 with the 15.4 beta driver, and playing at 1080p @ 120Hz. In game settings are a mix of high/very high with FXAA and both MSAA turned off.

With one card enabled the VRAM in GTA V is ~ 2.4/4GB, in game with afterburner it never exceeds 3GB and the frame rate is a steady 90-100.

If I enable crossfire for my second card GTA V reports 4.7/8GB in use, and VRAM usage in afterburner is between 5.5-6.5GB despite the cards only having 4. With two cards enabled the frame rate is much worse, and it constantly freezes as textures are loaded. GPU usage is ~40% on each.

Link to the GTA V VRAM report for 1 and 2 cards:
https://i.imgur.com/UoSQ6DF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gzwjmVf.jpg

Caporegime
OP
May have been asked before, but has anyone been having issues with VRAM in GTA V with crossfire enabled?

I have 2 Sapphire Tri-X r9 290s with 4GB VRAM, on a fresh install of Win8.1 with the 15.4 beta driver, and playing at 1080p @ 120Hz. In game settings are a mix of high/very high with FXAA and both MSAA turned off.

With one card enabled the VRAM in GTA V is ~ 2.4/4GB, in game with afterburner it never exceeds 3GB and the frame rate is a steady 90-100.

If I enable crossfire for my second card GTA V reports 4.7/8GB in use, and VRAM usage in afterburner is between 5.5-6.5GB despite the cards only having 4. With two cards enabled the frame rate is much worse, and it constantly freezes as textures are loaded. GPU usage is ~40% on each.

Link to the GTA V VRAM report for 1 and 2 cards:
https://i.imgur.com/UoSQ6DF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gzwjmVf.jpg

Are you running in full screen mode and are both gpu clocks correctly locked at full 3D clock speeds? Use my thread here to setup an overlay, if you haven't already.

Assuming you have an overlay enabled Afterburner doubles the video memory usage once you have Crossfire, so basically halve whatever it says the video memory usage is and you have your actual video memory usage.

I have QuadFire and working out the video memory usage often required a calculator. :D :o :p

Associate
Hello, I am running a 295x2+290x trifire with an 4790k on win7
Son of Rome and Shadow of Mordor scale nicely from one gpu to two gpus
but when I run them with all 3 gpus, I get the performance of single gpu (huge negative scaling)plus microstuttering.

Anyone else having this problem?

Associate
In SOM I do get better overall performance with 2 vs 3, although haven't retested that with this latest driver. That's about the only game though, everything else is noticeably better with 3... except in GTA because it only takes two to sit at my refresh rate of 96hz at 1440p lol. But when using 3 I had no noticeable stutter or added latency.

Back
Top Bottom