• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
^ Glad to see you found the solution.

No way I'd be able to convince anyone to look at fixing an issue caused by flashing a different BIOS. :D

nope probably not, you gotta admit though, it's very strange that we all had the issue with that bios on a ref card yet yours on the genuine LC64 was fine.

I'm getting incredible performance back on the stock bios though, I was not expecting that.

Caporegime
OP
nope probably not, you gotta admit though, it's very strange that we all had the issue with that bios on a ref card yet yours on the genuine LC64 was fine.

I'm getting incredible performance back on the stock bios though, I was not expecting that.
Not really actually, the Liquid Edition BIOS was not designed for the air reference Vega.

Associate
I've not messed around to much mate, just wanted to run it back on stock bios with 19.2.3 at default balanced values. Getting late now, bit tired so I'll play around in the morning to see if at least 1700/1100 Is possible using reduced power limits.

The curious in me wants to try another LC BIOS LOL

@shankly1985 EDIT update

You know what mate, I've got a very interesting video to be posting up tomorrow lol. Long story short, for you and the others. Back on the stock bios 1806, 19.2.3 driver, bug does not appear, everything is perfect again. Just back on my old gaming custom profile which is 1700/1100 frequency....the core is maintaining even higher frequency than it did on the LC 8774 Bios :p:D It's maintaining 1690mhz core right across all benches and games using same lower voltages as previous bios. That's only 10mhz down on the set frequency, where as previously on the LC 8774 bios, setting 1700mhz core would normally work out about 1650mhz average when benching and gaming.

Might push for 1750mhz tomorrow morning then we truly right back to where we were, but it might actually end up being better in the long run. How things work out.

Great work Tony. I was just about to do some testing this morning. I’ll give that new firmware a go and report back.

Soldato
Great work Tony. I was just about to do some testing this morning. I’ll give that new firmware a go and report back.

Keep us posted, things are working amazing here now, it's actually running better on the 8706 stock bios compared to the 8774 LC bios. Maintaining higher average stable clocks when gaming, about 9c down on temps when under extreme load also.

So far this has actually worked out better in the long run believe it or not.

Last edited:
Associate
Well that was an eye opener. I had a look for bios ending 1806 but could not find one on tech power ups web site but I did have my original reference bios which ends 8706.
The problem with manic frame rates on new drivers is fixed now. Performance wise superposition was in the margin of error but was ever so slightly up. Shadow of war and world of warships, was exactly the same performance. I did notice the gpu clock speed seemed to be a lot more stable mine averages 1635 ish with memory at a cheeky 1180mhz which was the same with the LC bios. Did not see much difference to temps which usually floats arount 39c - 44c. I really thought I would see a big dip in performance, but what do I know :D.

Soldato
@eeii My bad...typo I meant 8706.

Glad you've got it sorted. I to was amazed how the performance didn't dip going back to the stock air bios. I Can't believe setting 1700mhz on core it's hitting a solid 1690mhz when gaming and benching. Temps are about 44c on core and 41c HBM for me now.

When I was on the LC bios I benched at 1750/1180 (You can see the score up on firestrike leader board here in this forum), I don't think I'm even going to bother trying for that on stock bios, I'm incredibly happy with my gaming profile now. It's fast, it's cool and it's stutter free.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Keep us posted, things are working amazing here now, it's actually running better on the 8706 stock bios compared to the 8774 LC bios. Maintaining higher average stable clocks when gaming, about 9c down on temps when under extreme load also.

So far this has actually worked out better in the long run believe it or not.
Who would've thought using the BIOS designed for the GPU pays benefits, hey Tony? :D :p

Associate
Hi there,
thanks for clearing that issue up.
Did you tried also other BIOS on Vega64 Air ?
Like an earlier version of Liquid Bios (8709) or the Air Boost OC Bios ?

Thank you

Soldato
Who would've thought using the BIOS designed for the GPU pays benefits, hey Tony? :D :p

Haha I know right. We are all tinkerers at heart Matt, putting the LC bios onto the card once in the loop was only done to really allow for stretching the cards legs at 1750hmz and up with a higher power ceiling. But seeing as those benches have been done, then I'm more than happy to run cool and fast at 1700/1100 now which can easily be done with much lower voltage as you well know.

Caporegime
OP
Haha I know right. We are all tinkerers at heart Matt, putting the LC bios onto the card once in the loop was only done to really allow for stretching the cards legs at 1750hmz and up with a higher power ceiling. But seeing as those benches have been done, then I'm more than happy to run cool and fast at 1700/1100 now which can easily be done with much lower voltage as you well know.
Perfect resolution. :)

Associate
I've also flashed back to my default bios(MSI 8706 220W) but could not do the setting with the core P7 1700mhz/1150mv cause playing around some games it would fluctuate to 173x~175xmhz then the game or system crashed.

I wonder if hit the power limit or just another cripple card? I just found Nitro+ 264W bios, trying to flash to it to see if the issue appear again.

Oops, subsystem ID mismatch. Failed to try.

Last edited:
Associate
I also cannot confirm improvement. My system also became unstable. Yes, clock speeds became stable and less power draw, but also Ive in average >10fps less in Wildlands than with LC bios.
So stock bios is no improvement for me.

Caporegime
AMD Adrenalin 19.3.1 Released

Support For
  • Devil May Cry 5
    • Up to 4% average performance gains with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.1 vs 19.2.3 on Devil May Cry 5 with Radeon RX Vega 64. RS-287
Fixed Issues
  • Radeon WattMan settings changes may intermittently not apply on AMD Radeon VII.
  • Mouse lag or system slowdown is observed for extended periods of time with two or more displays connected and one display switched off.
  • ACER™ KG251Q display may experience a black screen when connected via DisplayPort™ and enabled at 240hz.
  • Video playback may become green or experience corruption when dragging the Movies and TV application to an HDR enabled display.
Known Issues
  • Rainbow Six Siege™ may experience intermittent corruption or flickering on some game textures during gameplay.
  • Mouse cursors may disappear or move out of the boundary of the top of a display on AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics.
  • Modifying memory clocks on Radeon VII in Radeon Wattman may intermittently result in memory clocks becoming locked at 800Mhz.
  • Changes made in Radeon WattMan settings via Radeon Overlay may sometimes not save or take effect once Radeon Overlay is closed.
  • Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII.
  • Some Mobile or Hybrid Graphics system configurations may intermittently experience green flicker when moving the mouse over YouTube™ videos in Chrome web browser.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Permabanned
Hi all,
What does Hide Performance overlay while logging mean?
What's logging?

Has anyone found an good video's on the Wattman features & more importantly how to use them, For example how to use the custom option of the performance metrics window location.

Associate
After having the same problem with Reference Vega 64 flashed with LC Bios, I researched about it and found this thread.

Did some tests and came to conclusion that really seems to be the LC BIOS flashed to ref card causing this problem.. I'll give stock bios a try and see what I can do with newer drivers..

Metro Exodus Benchmark, Low settings DX11 (happens with Medium, High, Ultra).. all the rest are the same configs, except for the GPU BIOS
http://imgur.com/a/bruwqox

Fresh Windows 10 Install, No connection with internet, removed all bloatware, installed Superposition, Chipset/GPU drivers and Run Benchmark 4 Times:
1) Stock Bios -> 18.12.1 Driver - OK
2) Stock Bios -> 19.3.1 Driver - OK
3) LC Bios -> 18.12.1 Driver - OK
4) LC Bios -> 19.3.1 Driver - Problem
https://imgur.com/a/niaAMgr

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.2 Highlights
Support For

• Tom Clancy’s The Division® 2
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI: Gathering Storm
    • Up to 4% average performance gains on AMD Radeon VII with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.2 vs 19.2.3. RS-288
  • DirectX® 12 on Windows®7 for supported game titles
    • AMD is thrilled to help expand DirectX® 12 adoption across a broader range of Windows operating systems with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.2 and onward, which enables consumers to experience exceptional levels of detail and performance in their games.
Fixed Issues
  • Radeon ReLive for VR may sometimes fail to install during Radeon Software installation.
  • Fan curve may fail to switch to manual mode after the manual toggle is switched when fan curve is still set to default behavior.
  • Changes made in Radeon WattMan settings via Radeon Overlay may sometimes not save or take effect once Radeon Overlay is closed.
Known Issues
  • Rainbow Six Siege™ may experience intermittent corruption or flickering on some game textures during gameplay.
  • DOTA™2 VR may experience stutter on some HMD devices when using the Vulkan® API.
  • Mouse cursors may disappear or move out of the boundary of the top of a display on AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics.
  • Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII..
Added Vulkan® Support
  • VK_EXT_depth_clip_enable
    • This extension allows the depth clipping operation, that is normally implicitly controlled by the driver to be controlled explicitly by the application instead. This is useful for translating Direct3D content, which assumes depth clamping is always enabled, but depth clip can be controlled by the DepthClipEnable rasterization state.
  • VK_EXT_memory_priority
    • This extension allows applications to set a priority value at memory allocation time, which could be used to determine which allocations are more likely to remain in device local memory if heap limits are reached.
  • VK_EXT_memory_budget
    • This extension adds support for querying the amount of memory used and the total memory budget for a memory heap.
  • VK_KHR_vulkan_memory_model
    • This extension formally defines how to synchronize memory accesses to the same memory locations performed by multiple shader invocations.
  • VK_EXT_debug_utils
    • This extension allows developers to obtain more debug information. When combined with validation layers, more detailed feedback on the application's use of Vulkan can be further obtained.
  • VK_KHR_depth_stencil_resolve
    • This extension adds support for automatically resolving multisampled depth/stencil attachments in a subpass in a similar manner as for color attachments.
  • VK_KHR_shader_float16_int8
    • This extension allows use of 16-bit floating-point types and 8-bit integer types in shaders for arithmetic operations and improves usability of those types by adding implicit conversions.
  • VK_EXT_transform_feedback
    • This extension adds transform feedback to the Vulkan API by exposing the SPIR-V TransformFeedback and GeometryStreams capabilities to capture vertex, tessellation or geometry shader outputs to one or more buffers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-3-2?sf209400995=1

Back
Top Bottom