• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those having problems with Far Cry 3 the solution is simple, as the game is poorly programmed you need to run the game locked at 60fps with vsync enabled.

Anything other than 60fps locked causes all sorts of problems.

I believe this is because the game engine is optimised for consoles (like Skyrim) and does not like high frame rates.

For those having problems with Far Cry 3 the solution is simple, as the game is poorly programmed you need to run the game locked at 60fps with vsync enabled.

Anything other than 60fps locked causes all sorts of problems.

I believe this is because the game engine is optimised for consoles (like Skyrim) and does not like high frame rates.

Yeah...

Ubisoft Game engines have always been finicky, on AMD and Nvidia, they are in themselves just rubbish.

Wondering if anyone could help me as i've not had an ATi card in yeas. Bought a 7970 Sapphire OC from here with the double BIOS switch, it's this card:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1463&lid=1

Question 1.

Could I flash some slightly overclocked BIOS onto say switch 2 and use that instead of installing Afterburner/CCC and messing about with software? I basically want to install the display driver only and have my card overclocked a bit more than the 1Ghz stock on switch 2.

Question 2.

What drivers should I use? using Windows 7 x64.

Thanks.

Have a look if sapphire made a ghz version of your card and have a look in the tpu bios directory for a download, should boost your clocks :)

As for driver, 13.4 w/ cap is the safe choice though 13.5 has been fine for me :)

Metro Last Light added to PGTips! As stated in that post and as confirmed by AMD's own Thracks, flickering and graphical defects appear to be a game engine issue and may be visible on AMD and Nvidia hardware.

Have a look if sapphire made a ghz version of your card and have a look in the tpu bios directory for a download, should boost your clocks :)

As for driver, 13.4 w/ cap is the safe choice though 13.5 has been fine for me :)

Cheers, is this list the right one?

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...HD+7970&interface=PCI-E&memType=&memSize=3072

Basically it looks like they only go up to 1Ghz, is there any way I could manually change that like making my own BIOS then flashing it?

Unfortunately we have no way of modifying an AMD 7900 series vBIOS, RBE gave up on the bios scene after the 6000 series :(

Do you know if your graphics card is reference PCB? I'll have a hunt with the product code and see what I come up with, if its reference PCB you can use the vBIOS from any similar PCB based cards.

It looks like I would really need the part code (can't see it on the sapphire page).

Its either:

11197-01 ('OC' Custom PCB)
11197-03 (OC Dual-X - reference PCB)
11197-12 (this is vapour-X branded, Custom PCB)

Though looking at the spec page for your card it does say its a 'DUAL X' card so you may be in luck!!

SO just to be prepared for tomorrow, what BIOS would I download and what clocks would it have if I have a flash friendly card?

Thanks a lot for all your help by the way pgi947.

It depends how well each bios works with the card as VRM's etc... can all change card to card!

This is the fastest stock 7970 on the market: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/129500/his-hd7970-3072-120722.html with a 1180mhz boost clock.

Remember if you flash to the writeable bios switch and it doesn't work out, you can recover/restore the switch via the other position :)

Trail and error I suppose :p

Anything stopping you just having trixx or afterburner running in the background (start with windows) applying your clocks?

Just have a massive OCD about crap running in the background so i'd rather avoid it if possible. :p

Will I have to bench it 1st to see if it's stable at the clocks in the link, then flash it?

The card arrived today, how do I tell if it's a reference model? the PCB is a blue/green colour and the info on the stick is:

SKU# 11197-11
PN 299-1E210-001SA

more codes on the side are:

P/N: M030-0040-00
SL211C0

Last edited:
11197-11 is custom pcb, though that's not to say it doesn't use reference parts...

Do you have voltage control in msi afterburner? As afterburner will only support reference and msi vrms. If it does give you control its likely its using reference parts on a custom pcb (common with 3rd party coolers) & you should be safe enough to flash the bios from other reference based cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom