• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they'll be here on Wednesday at some point, a day or two delay won't be that bad but there'll be some angry people if it's delayed for more than a few weeks.

I will bet the new frame drivers will be delayed again tbh.

I would put money on it. Cannot for the life of me remember where I heard it (podcast....maybe PCper) but they having problems with them. It's something they have never cared about until that frame rating tool and then they were forced into it by a lack of deniability as the evidence was there to see. I own 2 7970s myself so I am not a hater just feel that they havnt given a s*** about it for years so until I see them.....

I would put money on it. Cannot for the life of me remember where I heard it (podcast....maybe PCper) but they having problems with them. It's something they have never cared about until that frame rating tool and then they were forced into it by a lack of deniability as the evidence was there to see. I own 2 7970s myself so I am not a hater just feel that they havnt given a s*** about it for years so until I see them.....

I hope they get these drivers out soon. The thing I have always found a bit odd about it is several months ago they said these drivers were coming and put a date on it. The thing is you either have something that works or not and if it does work you issue it ASAP.

I have not been following the above that closely so I may have missed a thing or two.

I hope they get these drivers out soon. The thing I have always found a bit odd about it is several months ago they said these drivers were coming and put a date on it. The thing is you either have something that works or not and if it does work you issue it ASAP.

I have not been following the above that closely so I may have missed a thing or two.

Thats exactly what I was saying mate. You can either do it or you cant but AMD could not for years and then as soon as this tool come out and proof more widespread it was "yeah they will be ready in a couple of month". I think they set themselves a target and hope to god they can figure it out in time. Please dont get me wrong ,I would love to see them arrive on wednesday I just have a hard time believing them. The only evidence I have seen is that video but it would hardly be case winning so to speak and really they could just of been running RP. It was alluded to that they just cant do it yet in the podcast I mentioned and they might just be about to found out. After the 7990 gets such bad press from some media outlets ,they would hardly just say suck it up theres nothing we can do would they,after selling you an £800 GPU! God I hope I'm wrong here :(

And surely if they HAVE cracked this problem then we would have them already as I can't see 2 days being the difference between them working and not after 3-4 months.

Review sites have already used the preview driver back in march or April so the driver does exist. They said it was a large improvement even in it's early stage.

They probably just want to perfect it so nobody can pull a hissy fit if it's still in a bad state.

Surprised they haven't released a beta driver though just for people to test out.

Review sites have already used the preview driver back in march or April so the driver does exist. They said it was a large improvement even in it's early stage.

Now I remember,yeah that's right but last month I heard about PCper's knowledge or suggestion of something being up. May-haps it only worked in a couple of games or even some weird hybrid of CCC/RP which wasn't sustainable in the long term? All just speculation and I am genuinely interested and hope its all nonsense.

Now I remember,yeah that's right but last month I heard about PCper's knowledge or suggestion of something being up. May-haps it only worked in a couple of games or even some weird hybrid of CCC/RP which wasn't sustainable in the long term? All just speculation and I am genuinely interested and hope its all nonsense.

I think it was pcper who tested it back then and in some games it was not helping much. Maybe that was what they were getting at. I would hope the final release driver is a whole lot better than what was previewed.

I think it was pcper who tested it back then and in some games it was not helping much. Maybe that was what they were getting at. I would hope the final release driver is a whole lot better than what was previewed.

Maybe they have have always been able to get it to that point but never been able to perfect it and have it stable and thats why we have never had it in the past?

If it's not released in the next few days then I'm afraid to say it's a pipe dream.

What are the implications of the 9xxx series launching around October. Would that mean new drivers written from scratch and the older drivers and this problem quietly forgotten about.

I don't know that much about drivers so the above maybe not relevant.

The only thing that's really going to change is the move to gcn 2.0, which they have been writing drivers for since the 7790 release.

I think they'll deliver on time, remember these are already delayed by around 6 weeks.

Maybe they have have always been able to get it to that point but never been able to perfect it and have it stable and thats why we have never had it in the past?

Nvidia do it through hardware and amd are doing it through software , not sure what's the best approach as amd are offering a version that let's you switch it on or off which for benchmarking might be an advantage. I guess when the driver is released we shall see but the amd driver team have been on form for nearly a year so I am expecting it to be pretty good.

remember these are already delayed by around 6 weeks.

and another x amount of years overdue :p

True, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, its only since hard evidence that AMD have been forced to show their hand. They have responded well IMO.

Nvidia do it through hardware and amd are doing it through software , not sure what's the best approach as amd are offering a version that let's you switch it on or off which for benchmarking might be an advantage. I guess when the driver is released we shall see but the amd driver team have been on form for nearly a year so I am expecting it to be pretty good.

I'm sure it was mentioned the on/off was aimed at hardcore FPS gamers more then anything, as switching it on can produce minor input lag.

They have been on magnificent form, highlighted even more by Nvidias recent issues. They haven't really put a foot wrong since mid last year when we had a few poor releases (12.6 era).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom