1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. willhub

Capodecina

From the CPU side of things though, as in will the 2700X struggle in that time.

2. AMDPower

Wise Guy

so, i assume AMD will be releasing a more powerful Navi derived chip to compete with 2080, 2080ti sometime this year or early next year, but extrapolating performance numbers linearly with power output, i just dont see how navi can compete with upcoming AMPRE from Nvidia, specially if nvidia stick to their 35-40% improvement cycles. To me Navi is not good enough yet, better than VEGA but still lagging. I could be wrong.

3. JediFragger

Capodecina

They'll release it against the 3080, it'll be slightly slower and slightly more money :D

4. D.P.

Caporegime

AMD have suggested Q1/Q2 next year for navi 20 which will be bigger cores.

Nvidia is looking at Maybe Q2 next year for Ampere built on Samsung's EUV 7nm+ node, which in itself is already about 30% faster than TSMC DUV 7nm node. It is expected AMD will stick with the current DUV 7nm fro TSMC.

Nvidia will be looking at 50-60% performance increase purely from going to the 7nm+, regardless of any architecture changes. Given the icnreased transistor densiy they could easily increase ray-tracing performance by 2 xto 3x.

At the end of the day AMD's new architecture on 7nm is still much less efficient than Turing on 12/16nm. By releasing on 7nm AMD have reduced the efficiency difference a little but they.

5. D.P.

Caporegime

Wait and see what Nvidia's Super release does. It will shake up the market a little. You will either be able to get a 20% faster card for the same money from Nvidia, or AMD will be forced to lower prices.
    There might also be discounts on moving the older Turing.

6. Besty

Mobster

people on here might laugh but the main game i need to run on my mobile and laptop rigs is...

Warhammer Total War 2.

As it stands, running this game on a 8th Gen Intel CPU and a 1080 is nowhere near my 8th gen 4.7ghz/1080ti desktop rig.

a) the laptop cost £3k
    b) the laptop is so hot on my lap and the fans so bad that it is anti-social.

If that slide is correct and the AMD setup is going to be 40% faster without melting my laptop then it is a case of ‘shut up and take my money’.

7. Panos

Sgarrista

Is a fake slide from Ryzen 1 back in 2017, less likely Ryzen 2 from last year.

8. Boomstick777

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Wait till you see the launch prices from Nvidia xD

And we have only just had our pants pulled down on regular RTX.

Prepare your wallets fellas.

9. Poneros

Mobster

Source is this: https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1139226644646789120

10. Poneros

Mobster

Question: Which of these two images would you choose? Consider this similar to Navi's Image Sharpening (speculation on my part).

Exhibit A vs Exhibit B

A is 4K w/ AA High, while B is 4K 80% render scale w/ AA low & Adaptive Sharpen. The performance difference between the two is 40%!!

1. On vs Off
    2. On vs Off

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  11. Illuminist

Wise Guy

12. D.P.

Caporegime

If you bothered following the news you would see that the rumours point to the new Super cards coming in at the same price point but with more performance, and the older models discounted.

It is very possible there will be a 2070ti that is similar price and 20% faster, or you could get a 2080 for the same price as a 5700xt etc.

AMD will have to reduce prices, but either way it is worth waiting to see.

13. D.P.

Caporegime

Download both at 4K.

A is much sharper and B is very blurry and soft, like the screen is smeared in Vaseline. Odd because I thought the whole purpose of AMD's sharpening was to make images sharp yet it doesn't seem to work.

Sure you don't have these the wrong way round?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Brazo

Wise Guy

Eh it was a duplicate post!

I know this launch is a difficult time for you Panos but resorting to the Troll remarks so soon is beneath you.

15. D.P.

Caporegime

I can also tell from the image edges that the sharpness was applied before the output scaler not afterwards, so most of the advantages of sharpening are lost due to the bilinear or bicubic filter used by the fixed-function output scaler. This is literally identical to what Nvidia offers in their drivers for nearly 2 years now. Anyone with Pascal or Turing can do the same

16. shankly1985

Capodecina

Do you know this isn't using AMD RIS? lol, He using Reshare in trying to show a result that might simulate RIS.

17. D.P.

Caporegime

Fair enough, but all the information we have so far indicates AMD's RIS is identical to reshade.

18. shankly1985

Capodecina

Nothing does, just users on forums putting 1+1 together because reshade as a sharpening feature.

Like I said time and time again we all best leaving this alone until its released and tested. Only then can we say if its good or not and is it just a simple sharpening or is they actually more going on.

19. D.P.

Caporegime

Agreed.

20. Boomstick777

Capodecina

By news do you mean rumors from Wttftech and Videocardz? Also not sure why the snarky tone xD

If you think these will be decently priced, I believe you're gonna be disappointed. I would love a decent card and price from Nvidia, but reality is, the Super GPU's are coming with super price to match.