1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Besty

Mobster

yeah and i want to see what happens when the card is downclocked, are these high wattage figures because the clock speeds are being pushed too hard.

how low can the clock speeds go to support 1080p/60fps, this will give us a much better idea of what they have done with 7nm.

this is what i really need on my mobile rigs and laptops.

2. CuriousTomCat

Hitman

Based on that, you could also say that Nvidia didn't need to release their new GPUs because the 10 series were decent enough. We need progress and the 570 is so old now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. shankly1985

Capodecina

Not watched it all yet

Edit
    Some really interesting tech talk, well worth the watch.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. aoaaron

Wise Guy

Yeah its incredible. I had a GTX 670 and modded Skyrim looks beautiful on it.

I have a 2080 at the moment but I REALLY want to buy a Variable Refresh Rate TV and be able to use it. What are my options from AMD? Which card competes with the 2080? I feel like AMD are almost a generation behind NVIDIA. Such ashame.

5. Scougar

Capodecina

I would agree. They are behind a gen. Right until this release two behind. They must surely be working on a 5800xt though. Navi 20?

6. Illuminist

Mobster

The Radeon VII I have one, waterblocked, incredible overclocker, when easily overclocked beats 2080 in most games

7. aoaaron

Wise Guy

im tempted but isn't it EOL and does it benefit from any of the Navi goodness?

8. Armageus

Don

Eh?
    The 570 is an ideal entry level part performance wise. If it is discontinued then the newer part will obviously use newer tech, have lower power consumption, but likely cost more and probably perform worse than 570.

9. Illuminist

Mobster

Yes it will have the anti lag tech and the sharpening shizzle in a future driver update

10. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Maybe they will called it the 5800 Ultra??

:D

11. Scougar

Capodecina

Ahahahaha..that would be amazing.. but probably trademark breaching.

12. ubersonic

Capodecina

Nvidia added support for VRR/Freesync months ago in a driver update.

One of my displays is a 144Hz Freesync and it works the same on my 2080 and my Vega 56.

13. xxalxx

Wise Guy

So (avoiding all the DLSS/RIS talk above), if you were looking at getting a new card in the coming months (around 2070-2080 price range - not 2080ti) would the advice be to get one, get the equivalent Navi AMD or wait for a few months and see what else is getting released?

I have a rx580 atm, cant get Vega 56/64 as they just aren't available here.

14. shankly1985

Capodecina

Correct me if am I wrong here but Nvidia support for VRR is DisplayPort only atm. AMD support HDMI and DP so TVs and Monitors for AMD at this moment.

15. shankly1985

Capodecina

Hard to really say right now without not seeing what Navi 10 can really do. They might be some headroom to play with on this GPU when used with say a better cooler or overclocking. But as of right now if the price isn't an issue it all comes down to what AMD or Nvidia offer you right now the best buy that GPU.
    Either way am sure you won't be disappointed either choice you make.

Me personally RTX 2070 or Navi 5700 XT I would pick Navi for reasons I won't get into here.

16. Poneros

Mobster

[​IMG]

I think what happened is AMD realised they can't catch up to Nvidia anymore and won't manage to claw back market share, so at least they put the prices up so they make some kind of money on each GPU sale rather than selling for a loss like Vega (and still not getting market share). Then the focus is all in on semi-custom contracts, and hopefully once they get more revenue & experience from those, they will catch up in 5-10 years and compete again. Until then, on desktop, it's going to be an RTX world.

17. Grim5

Wise Guy

^^

That is such a crap slide.

If I was upgrading and I saw that slide I would just keep what I had.

New cpu, mobo and gpu for 9% performance boost in tomb raider.

Ohh yeah...

Edit: chances are you need new ram too - AMD says you need ddr4 3600 for ryzen 3000 and if you have a 6700k you probably have slower ram than that to begin with

18. Calin Banc

Hitman

Not really, but launching a 7970 with bad drivers and high prices, is not a good thing.
    Launching a R290(x) with bad coolers so that you get the image of hot, loud and throttling cards, is not a good thing.

19. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

From what I have seen so far I would be looking at a super RTX 2070 or super RTX 2080 I think (or a non super RTX 2080 once price is cut)
    Maybe the full fat Navi will be good if it supports raytracing but right now to me it looks like Navi will be charging rtx card prices with rtx card performance but without rtx
    Once real world unbiased benchmarks come out we will know more.
    Someone did say that AMDs lag reducing features will be as important a feature as RTX and DLSS..... Well not for me personally.

20. Brazo

Wise Guy

That is a strange slide comparing an old quad core against AMD latest (I don’t know 8 core?) cpu?

And comparing a 1070 against AMD’s new card that is rumoured to be 2070 performance!

It’s just as well AMD (scraped) a win here!!!!!