• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
I'm curious if Navi will replace Radeon 7, Would be a bit odd releasing Radeon 7 and then only a few months after making it obsolete with Navi or maybe Navi is mid range i.e a Polaris replacement.

Soldato
I'm curious if Navi will replace Radeon 7, Would be a bit odd releasing Radeon 7 and then only a few months after making it obsolete with Navi or maybe Navi is mid range i.e a Polaris replacement.

Navi has always been discussed as a midrange replacement, so that's RX580, RX590 and both RX Vegas replaced. And by extension, no, Radeon VII isn't be replaced just yet, but I think it will be by the end of the year or Q1 2020.

Based on nothing more than pixie dust and wild speculation on my part, I think the leaked RX 3080 specs are for a cut-down Navi 10 die, which means a full-fat Navi 10 die could be waiting in the wings. If cut-down Navi 10 is rumoured to be Vega 64 + 15% performance then a full-fat Navi 10 could be Vega 64 + 25% performance or higher: that's Radeon VII territory. The only thing stopping AMD from releasing it sooner is the 16GB VRAM precedent they set with Radeon VII - how to you get 16GB GDDR6 onto the PCB? Because you know if they drop down to 8GB then there will be a *********.

Soldato
OP
Navi has always been discussed as a midrange replacement, so that's RX580, RX590 and both RX Vegas replaced. And by extension, no, Radeon VII isn't be replaced just yet, but I think it will be by the end of the year or Q1 2020.

Based on nothing more than pixie dust and wild speculation on my part, I think the leaked RX 3080 specs are for a cut-down Navi 10 die, which means a full-fat Navi 10 die could be waiting in the wings. If cut-down Navi 10 is rumoured to be Vega 64 + 15% performance then a full-fat Navi 10 could be Vega 64 + 25% performance or higher: that's Radeon VII territory. The only thing stopping AMD from releasing it sooner is the 16GB VRAM precedent they set with Radeon VII - how to you get 16GB GDDR6 onto the PCB? Because you know if they drop down to 8GB then there will be a *********.

IMO the VII is just a stop gap so that AMD had something to release. That's why they aren't ramping up production and few, if any, AIB partners are making custom VII cards. VII seems to me anyway, to be failed Instinct cards that were converted to GPU to sell, rather than lost the chip entirely.

Soldato
VII seems to me anyway, to be failed Instinct cards that were converted to GPU to sell, rather than lost the chip entirely.

It's the most logical conclusion: stack up the Vega 20 with HBM, run it through QA, doesn't meet MI50 standards so discard. But Nvidia left the door open which allowed those discarded packages to be repurposed.

Thus wheel out the PCB design and cooler for Mike Rayfield's "unfeasible" consumer Vega 20 and quickly slap it together for a Radeon VII.

Associate

It would be very surprising if Navi hits R7 performance. If Navi 'only' gets 1080 performance and it should given the 2060 is almost hitting those levels then R7 has it's place. If it beats 2060 and at 7nm you'd hope it would, then it probably still doesn't hit R7 levels.

Last time AMD halved it's nm process it gained 50% FPS going from the 480 to the 380. This time it's getting faster VRAM aswell so you'd expect a bit more. I'd hope they can hit 2070 performance

Unfortunately the better the RX 680 or 3080 is, the more it's going to cost. If a higher end Navi matches 2070 expect £400. If there's a model that matches 2060, expect £280-£300. If there's a model matching 1160, expect £200 imo.

Given not many R7 are being released, it's unprofitable, that it's a compute card AMD had previously binned so they won't produce more than they have in stock you'd imagine it has a short life span anyway. Then we get high end Navi in 2020

Soldato

Yes, I believe that Navi supports both GDDR6 and HBM2 so obviously there will be both low end and high end versions.

Only the low and mid range Navi cards will be realeased this year, then a high end Navi will replace the Radeon VII next year or even 2021.

Permabanned
AMD patent could bring Nvidia’s variable rate shading to Navi and next-gen consoles

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-variable-rate-shading-patent-navi-next-gen-consoles

From the article:

The use of motion adaptive shading is most obvious when applied to something like a racing game, or something like Grand Theft Auto, where there is a huge amount of motion. Things in the middle of the screen, such as the car or character, which aren’t be subject to a lot of relative motion will be rendered in full. Everything else that is moving rapidly can then be rendered at a lower rate as they don’t need the same level of detail. Our eyes can’t perceive the pixel quality difference when they’re flying past at speed anyway.

First of all - this is not true and second - why do you need to render something that stays all the time on the screen in the worst case with little change?! Just put on the screen the static 2D image (of the car) and render everything around.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom