• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
I'm potentially going to buy it as an investment.
I should have done it ages ago.

Is nice cooler, I am happy with it as temp solution. Had to raise the curves in Wattman as by default the ref Vega is for blower which pushes air through the VRMs, but 2 industrial 3000s cannot push air at that low rpm (around 200), and there is a lot of heat trapped between the heatsink and the card.
If raise the curve, it runs nice and cool. But as said, get the Vega edition, is better.

Associate
well ive bought the morpheus 2 and 5700XT, it wont be a straight fit as i need time to do it and i also need to see how the cooler can be taken apart whilst retaining the backplate, might have to get some washers and other types of screws, be a nice project, im trying to avoid water cooling where i can.

Soldato
well ive bought the morpheus 2 and 5700XT, it wont be a straight fit as i need time to do it and i also need to see how the cooler can be taken apart whilst retaining the backplate, might have to get some washers and other types of screws, be a nice project, im trying to avoid water cooling where i can.

I believe if you change the screws and use the original retention plate, it should work.
Bear in mind, you need to look at the tutorials about RVII because from one comment the AMD tech guy did today, I believe he said it is using the carbon pad on the 5700s.

Associate
I believe if you change the screws and use the original retention plate, it should work.
Bear in mind, you need to look at the tutorials about RVII because from one comment the AMD tech guy did today, I believe he said it is using the carbon pad on the 5700s.

Yeah I can easily just find other screws and use washers to fix it in place as the screws normally go into the stock cooler, so its not a difficult thing to do, ive personally not going fully custom AIB since i want options now to how i want to cool the gpu and the morpheus so far has shown its compatible with many gpus so im happy in future gpus i can get the cheaper reference cards from now on.

Soldato
Techpowerup has a test with 5700X on PCIe 2, 3, 4.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/

DX11 games especially there are some perf increased by 6+ fps at 2560x1440 and 9 fps on 1080p between 3.0 and 4.0.
Otherwise on DX12 or Vulkan games, the difference is within 0-1fps.

I wonder how many reviews did their testing on an X570 board.

That 1 to 3% gain can make charts look very different given how close the cards are in performance.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Battlefield V etc. see a not insignificant difference.

Soldato
I wonder how many reviews did their testing on an X570 board.

That 1 to 3% gain can make charts look very different given how close the cards are in performance.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Battlefield V etc. see a not insignificant difference.

Most reviews are with Z370 or Z390 platform unfortunately.

@Martini1991
Also Paul's Hardware posted a sum up, it does show very strong 2560x1440 performance against the 50% more expensive RVII. All benchmarks do show the card within handful fps away from the RVII, as said last week extrapolating from the AMD graph. And this is the hot blower version, not the 3 fan solution the RVII is using, nor the 50th Anniversary one with the higher clocks.
We shall see what the AIB will do in 10-15 days. As powercolor is running atm a 10 day campaign for a "brand new red devil" announcement.
If AIB cooler perf is similar between Vega 64 reference and Nitro/Red Devil (>10%) we are bordering RTX2080 perf here at 1440p & 1080p.

TVUsuDK.jpg

Soldato
<shrug> At least we can see that watercools and better cooling pushes the GPU to 2100Mhz core range without further tweaking than PL.

Also SOTTR is normally slower on AMD cards so gives a good indicator of how the 5700XT will perform overall. If it matches a $100 more expensive 2070S in this game then it will be pretty good in others too. The card is brand new so expect some driver optimizations giving another 5-10% boost over the coming months like it happened with the Polaris cards.

Associate
I had no interest in Navi sitting here all smuggly with my 1080ti but the results seem impressive, especially as the cooling on the card looks terrible. Looking forward to the custom card reviews.

Soldato
Yup. But is not only the avg FPS, look at the frame times.

Yes, the frame times are around 10ms worse on the Nvidia cards. The 2070S peaks at 58ms while the 5700XT reaches only 48ms. The Navi cards looking better and better. Driver maturation will improve them further.

Soldato
Yes, the frame times are around 10ms worse on the Nvidia cards. The 2070S peaks at 58ms while the 5700XT reaches only 48ms. The Navi cards looking better and better. Driver maturation will improve them further.

I was watching Gamers Nexus video this morning. On F1 2018 there is over 20fps difference on the low 1% and 0.1% in favour to 5700XT.
Because I play this game from time to time, 20fps drop is the difference between turn a corner, or stutter and hit the wall. :D

Which is why I stick to consoles when playing racing games online, because they stick to fixed FPS and there are no "surprises" :D

Back
Top Bottom