• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
5700xt also known as Navi 10 is a mid range card.

Regardless of where it’s performance falls it’s specs tell you it’s a mid range part in that architecture. The high end Navi is still to come in 2020

Why is it not priced like the rx590? Because greed that’s why - AMd is just copying Nvidia pricing

Why is it as fast as the Radeon 7? Because 7nm and new uarch- it’s not rocket science guys.

A mid range ryzen 3000 cpu smashes the highest end ryzen 2000 cpu in games - That’s why die shrinks and uarch changes do

Caporegime

Regardless of where it’s performance falls it’s specs tell you it’s a mid range part in that architecture. The high end Navi is still to come in 2020

Why is it not priced like the rx590? Because greed that’s why - AMd is just copying Nvidia pricing

Why is it as fast as the Radeon 7? Because 7nm and new uarch- it’s not rocket science guys.

A mid range ryzen 3000 cpu smashes the highest end ryzen 2000 cpu in games - That’s why die shrinks and uarch changes do

This was commonly accepted.
God knows why it's changed.

And people wonder why this section is so toxic with the blatant ignorance based on vendor preference

Caporegime
Who decides these 'tiers' then, if not pricing?

The naming of the product is the most obvious clue.
AMD have this as an X7XX card.

Go through every launch for the last 10 years and tell me where the X7XX has been the top tier product.

Take the 7970 for example it launched at a massive price tag over the 6970 yet both were same tier product.

Had they released the 7870 beforehand we wouldn't be calling the 7870 a 6970 replacement despite similar price.

Soldato

I think the Rx590 was a terrible product, performance was terrible and power consumption a disaster, and more so that it was priced at £230-270 at launch and still is too expensive. Thankfully Gtx1660-1660ti absolutely put it in it's place and currently still is cheaper and outperforms it on average.
As for your other points I agree with them, although the pricing is more to do with manufacturing costs and profits.
Navi is expensive but at least it shows what can be done if you scale the Cu's up by 40-60% for Big NAvi

Soldato
You should.
Because it means people are getting priced out of products that are meant to be aimed at them.

Nvidia are also responsible for this situation.
It's not exclusive to AMD. But because it's AMD it's met with ignorance.

No I shouldn't, the card is the card at the price its at. 'tier's' is simply marketing, or an abstraction. The buyer can decide if the price is worth the performance. As I have said we all know cards are more expensive.

But because it's AMD it's met with ignorance

And now we get to what you're really interested in which is NV V AMD, not helping the guy who wondered what Navi cards might be coming.

Soldato
The naming of the product is the most obvious clue.
AMD have this as an X7XX card.

Go through every launch for the last 10 years and tell me where the X7XX has been the top tier product.

Take the 7970 for example it launched at a massive price tag over the 6970 yet both were same tier product.

Had they released the 7870 beforehand we wouldn't be calling the 7870 a 6970 replacement despite similar price.

Cool, now use this logic to explain Fury's, Rx 590 & Vega's. Also the XT.

Btw I never said this was the top tier product, but it sure as hell isn't replacing Polaris. Because if we went by your naming logic then you'll be very hard pressed to explain how the 5800 won't be just another +10% performance increase ala 570/580.

There's nothing more fickle than hardware names, yet nothing more enduring than price brackets. ;)

Caporegime
No I shouldn't, the card is the card at the price its at. 'tier's' is simply marketing, or an abstraction. The buyer can decide if the price is worth the performance. As I have said we all know cards are more expensive.

But because it's AMD it's met with ignorance

And now we get to what you're really interested in which is NV V AMD, not helping the guy who wondered what Navi cards might be coming.

How on Earth am I making it NV V AMD.
I literally said that Nvidia are also responsible and the blame doesn't rest soley on AMD's shoulders!

What I did say was that I feel there's ignorance because it's AMD. That has NOTHING to do with NV.

Soldato
How on Earth am I making it NV V AMD.
I literally said that Nvidia are also responsible and the blame doesn't rest soley on AMD's shoulders!

What I did say was that I feel there's ignorance because it's AMD. That has NOTHING to do with NV.

Then why say 'Because its AMD its met with ignorance'?

This is all going on in your mind, you've decided that AMD are somehow getting away with price increases based on no evidence whatsoever. The thing is AMD clearly offer better price/performance at most price points and have done so for a while, so if AMD are viewed as cheaper then that's probably why...it's not some mass consumer mind fail.

Caporegime
Then why say 'Because its AMD its met with ignorance'?

This is all going on in your mind, you've decided that AMD are somehow getting away with price increases based on no evidence whatsoever. The thing is AMD clearly offer better price/performance at most price points and have done so for a while, so if AMD are viewed as cheaper then that's probably why...it's not some mass consumer mind fail.

AMD are undeniably offering better price/performance than Nvidia.
But we're still getting fleeced by both vendors!

Soldato
AMD are undeniably offering better price/performance than Nvidia.
But we're still getting fleeced by both vendors!

We all already know this!

Stop derailing the thread with general GPU pricing moans. A chap asked a simple question about Navi cards, and you went off on one about tiering. It is was more thasn reasonable to assume that he wanted to replace his 580 with a Navi card, presumably cheaper than the opnes currently avaialble, he was advised something cheaper was on the way, there was no need to subvert his question to start banging on about how GPU's are more expensive now and tiers have increased, or that to your mind there's mass ignorance about AMD's part in it.

Associate

Its massively more powerful than the rx590 so why would they have the 5700 as its replacement.

Back
Top Bottom