• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned
AMD RDNA2 – Support for Raytracing & Variable Rate Shading
https://wccftech.com/amd-rdna2-support-for-raytracing-variable-rate-shading/

Radeon-Roadmap.png

Caporegime
Hard to get excited by AMD GPUs, these days.

I'm sure the RDNA2 cards will be OK, but they'll be priced something ludicrous, as tho they were the only game in town.

The prices just kill any hope I have for buying anything AMD, except maybe 3 years after release when they drop to more appropriate levels for what they are. Which is OK/competent cards, nothing special, and years behind the competition.

Permabanned
Hard to get excited by AMD GPUs, these days.

I'm sure the RDNA2 cards will be OK, but they'll be priced something ludicrous, as tho they were the only game in town.

The prices just kill any hope I have for buying anything AMD, except maybe 3 years after release when they drop to more appropriate levels for what they are. Which is OK/competent cards, nothing special, and years behind the competition.

I still hope there is some space for innovation with regards to the Raytracing performance. nvidia's RTX cards proved to be not quite where they have to be.

But yeah, with a mid-range sized Navi 10 only 250 mm^2 things won't happen for them. They don't invest enough resources for the development of several chips at the same time.

They invest too much in Zen development, and even there their notebook business lacks attention.
They are lucky that Zen just works. And that intel's N10 process doesn't.

Exclusive: The AMD Inside Story, Navi GPU Roadmap And The Cost Of Zen To Gamers
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...admap-and-the-cost-of-zen-to-gamers.18822671/

Soldato
OP
I still hope there is some space for innovation with regards to the Raytracing performance. nvidia's RTX cards proved to be not quite where they have to be.

But yeah, with a mid-range sized Navi 10 only 250 mm^2 things won't happen for them. They don't invest enough resources for the development of several chips at the same time.

They invest too much in Zen development, and even there their notebook business lacks attention.
They are lucky that Zen just works. And that intel's N10 process doesn't.

Exclusive: The AMD Inside Story, Navi GPU Roadmap And The Cost Of Zen To Gamers
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...admap-and-the-cost-of-zen-to-gamers.18822671/

CPU and GPU parts of AMD are totally different with different R&D budgets. With cash coming in from the CPU side, it'll start to trickle down into the GPU side and progress will be made.

Soldato
AHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA now i've heard it all!!!!
Not sure why you find that funny, tbh.

Look at the 5700 XT's performance with 40CUs. Scale that up to 56CUs (because Navi is scalable, apparently) and see the sort of numbers that would produce (theoretically). It'd beat the 2080 handily.
Now, look at the die size a theoretical 56CU Navi 10 would be and compare that to Vega 20 (which was in production for over a year). It's a bit smaller, I think.

There is no technical reason why AMD can't have 56CUs on Navi 10 (apart from power, perhaps), and there is no technical reason why TSMC couldn't manufacture such a die. And Radeon VII was EOL'd so there's a RTX 2080-sized gap in AMD's portfolio.

So where is this mythical card if it's possible? TSMC are making more EPYCs (and Threadrippers it appears) than AMD originally thought they'd need. So instead of producing high-end gaming cards for a tiny niche market, AMD are directing resource towards the actual money makers.

I'll bet a fiver (and not a penny more :p ) that when Zen 3 lands July-ish next year, we'll see the 5800 (50CUs) and 5800 XT (56CUs; 12GB VRAM on 384-bit bus?) suddenly pop up (Computex announcement). Why? Because Zen 3 on 6nm will massively free up 7nm production resource.

Hell, a 64CU 5900 XT with HBM2E could theoretically beat the RTX Titan!

Caporegime
2070 Super (average) 7% superior to 5700 XT, costs (minimum) 35% more.
2070 (average) 10% inferior to 5700 XT, costs 10% more.

"Won't buy AMD, priced ludicrous, years behind competition"

:rolleyes:
Couldn't give a fudge about £400+ cards.

I recently bought a £250 Vega 56 which was at the very top of my budget.

Before that the 480 for £200.

In that price space AMD have done naff all of any note.

Soldato

Lucky then the 5700XT can be had for around £350 and so nowhere near £400+ and your missing the point really. And they have just dropped the 5500XT which trades blows with the 1660 super for the £170 ish price point compared to £200 for the super. So yeah room for a 5600XT if needed at the £250 mark and is likely to turn up around Jan from all accounts and would likely sit just below the 2060 in performance based on the other cards. I would say AMD are doing okay.

So I would say that to suggest they are not competing and not offering at different price levels at least now is not correct.

Caporegime
Lucky then the 5700XT can be had for around £350 and so nowhere near £400+ and your missing the point really. And they have just dropped the 5500XT which trades blows with the 1660 super for the £170 ish price point compared to £200 for the super. So yeah room for a 5600XT if needed at the £250 mark and is likely to turn up around Jan from all accounts and would likely sit just below the 2060 in performance based on the other cards. I would say AMD are doing okay.

So I would say that to suggest they are not competing and not offering at different price levels at least now is not correct.
I know how this forum is. People will defend AMD to the hilt and I personally don't have time to waste when some people will never, ever accept any criticism of AMD and their products.

So yeah, 5700xt best card ever. I really should just double my budget and support AMD no matter how much worse they are, right... No wait I should pretend they are on par, lol.

Nah this forum is so far up AMD's bottom you can't get honest opinion without it being drowned out in a sea of red propaganda. I'll wait to see if AMD can catch up any next year. This year is a bust for AMD GPUs. Overpriced and extremely underwhelming.

Btw I've bought more AMD cards than any other, but I'm not buying any more until they get their act together and deliver something worthy of being called a "mid-range champion" like in the days of old. Modern cards are rubbish value. From both teams.

Associate
Modern cards are rubbish value. From both teams.

^^This. It's just a horrible time for GPUs at the moment. The value just isn't there, unless you like being stuck on 1080p forever.

I'm not spending a penny on a GPU until the end of 2022. By that time, i'll have a clearer picture of where the market is going in terms of price, performance and what system specs are really needed to run all next gen titles at very good frame rates.

Buying a GPU today is just throwing your money down the crapper.

Soldato
OP

There's not many that have £400 upwards, for a graphics card. In OCUK, we're a VERY small bubble, on top of a gaming bubble of users. 1080p gaming is where most gamers are and AMD have that area well oiled.

Caporegime
There's not many that have £400 upwards, for a graphics card. In OCUK, we're a VERY small bubble, on top of a gaming bubble of users. 1080p gaming is where most gamers are and AMD have that area well oiled.
But what they give you for that money hasn't really changed in how many years now?

1080p cards are the poster children for stagnation.

You get in that space the performance you've had since 2013, and you'll like it!

Soldato
don't forget they'll be fighting Ampere by then and not Turing.
Ah well, therein lies the trick (potentially).

When exactly is WhateverAmpereIsCalledNowBecauseOfTrademarkInfringement supposed to be coming? If actual, real gaming cards land start of Q3 then AMD are indeed still climbing that hill, and have to wait until end of the year for RDNA 2 to close the gap back up. But isn't Samsung having problems with 7nm right now, so could Not-Ampere gaming cards actually show up before the end of the year? Is there any reason for Nvidia to release Not-Ampere when there's no competition from Radeon?

Wouldn't it be funny if Not-Ampere is delayed until Q4 2020 which means RDNA 2 is only a couple months away, rather than half a year or more? It's possible that Nvidia milking its sheep with 12nm Supers and delaying Not-Ampere actually plays into AMD's favour (I've discussed this before else where).

Caporegime
That sounds like AMD favouritism where you want the competition to stall so that AMD catches up.

And people ask me why I think this forum is partisan.

I don't like nV's prices (and won't pay them) but I don't want them to have to delay their new products or suffer failures.

Caporegime
Graphics card fanboys are funny.
Always skewing things to make a positive for their team.

The reality is that both AMD and Nvidia are milking us to pretty much the exact same standard.

Where one can make a positive for X example, it's possible to produce an example of a positive for Y.

Back
Top Bottom