• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

For sure, if people want RT they're already buying nV and it'll have to massively surpass that to change their minds (as XTX is already only 2 tiers behind nV for the price in RT - just below 4070ti)

If they manage to challenge DLSS in any serious way, that'd be more likely to turn some heads (I mostly play ARK:SA, but even that should be getting proper FSR support soon and AFMF already works pretty well there IMO)

Edit: Ok so i was just looking at the combined RT perf graphs, looking at specific games that matter (i.e. CP77), it's more like 3+ tiers! (below 4070S)

Last edited:
This is the unknown quantity of the rumours. The RT in RDNA3 is just OK until you start getting to higher settings. So AMD need to be getting a big improvement there to at least 4070Ti Super levels.

So just about 4080 for £500 is decent but not great. The obvious problem is that if this is indeed AMDs top end RDNA4, then Nvidia absolutely will shaft us on the 50x0 pricing.

I would so love it to be good, but native raster isn't the bar anymore (at least not to me). I rely on DLSS to get to where I want to be with my 3080 and even when I upgrade I imagine it'll still be the same. DLSS looks good and enables games to be much more graphically demanding.Native Res in so many titles is just unplayable and I like RT too, everything does look better...even if it just makes things cleaner with no lighting pop-in...but with current prices I'm looking at a 2nd hand 4080 (s if I get lucky) which I reckon I might get for £600-£650 when the new cards come out.

The only joker I can see AMD having is Sony's upscaler - if that works and it's maybe a higher clocked version of the PS5 pro card - and developers get onboard - then it could be something.

4080 performance at £600 sounds about as expected. But given AMD's track record and how even on Ryzen, where they were killing it, we barely got 5% improvement with the latest generation... anything can happen, including a disappointing release.

I won't get my hopes up, but I'm happy for AMD to prove my cynicism wrong and release something decent/worth buying.

I would so love it to be good, but native raster isn't the bar anymore (at least not to me). I rely on DLSS to get to where I want to be with my 3080 and even when I upgrade I imagine it'll still be the same. DLSS looks good and enables games to be much more graphically demanding.Native Res in so many titles is just unplayable and I like RT too, everything does look better...even if it just makes things cleaner with no lighting pop-in...but with current prices I'm looking at a 2nd hand 4080 (s if I get lucky) which I reckon I might get for £600-£650 when the new cards come out.

The only joker I can see AMD having is Sony's upscaler - if that works and it's maybe a higher clocked version of the PS5 pro card - and developers get onboard - then it could be something.

I upgraded from a 3080 to a 4080 and the majority of games can do native 4K and those that need DLSS can do so with quality (1440p). So if you run 1440p 4080 levels of raster and RT, it is doable at native. Though this assumes you are aiming for 60FPS minimums on a VRR monitor.

If that can be had for £500 - £550 it’s a decent but not amazing price/perf.

At this price/perf it would potentially mean close to 4090 performance for £900 - £1k. Hardly amazing there either but this is right where Nvidia and to a lesser extend AMD wanted us.

At this point all my excitement is waiting to see what joke prices Nvidia push for the 5090 and 5080, and even more on how AMD manage to score an own goal and shoot themselves in the foot while doing a full clown act all at the same time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It'll have to be closer to £500, if it's 7900XT level performance you can pick one up on OCUK for £630 right now so a similar price is stupid.
Believe it or not some people were paying £1000 for the 7900XT and £1300 for the 7900XTX at release. These people are the reasons AMD go for daft launch prices.

Believe it or not some people were paying £1000 for the 7900XT and £1300 for the 7900XTX at release. These people are the reasons AMD go for daft launch prices.

The 7900 XTX was £1000, barely acceptable but still overpriced IMO. The 7900 XT was £900 which was a joke. So not sure where your prices come from?

Even price tracking sites show the 7900 XTX never got near to £1300. I’m not defending the pricing, but at least post actual facts instead of fantasy crap.

Last edited:
I upgraded from a 3080 to a 4080 and the majority of games can do native 4K and those that need DLSS can do so with quality (1440p). So if you run 1440p 4080 levels of raster and RT, it is doable at native. Though this assumes you are aiming for 60FPS minimums on a VRR monitor.

At this price/perf it would potentially mean close to 4090 performance for £900 - £1k. Hardly amazing there either but this is right where Nvidia and to a lesser extend AMD wanted us.

At this point all my excitement is waiting to see what joke prices Nvidia push for the 5090 and 5080, and even more on how AMD manage to score an own goal and shoot themselves in the foot while doing a full clown act all at the same time. :rolleyes:

If AMD are thinking $500 to $600 they will probably come down in the middle of that, the RX 7800 XT was $500, that's $80 cheaper than the RX 6800 its replaced so if these guys want to talk about track record...

I've got a 1440p monitor and a 4K TV with VRR which i haven't starting using for games yet but would like to, and like to aim for ~90FPS. I'm sure i could live with balanced DLSS on the TV if i had to, but I want the RT power (I've held off buying Cyberpunk all this time to play it with path tracing) If the 5080 can beat a 4090 in that regard i'm going to be tempted - I'll just have to work out how many packed lunches and cycles to work it works out at and rationalise it that way!!

I'm not sure the prices can be as low as speculated, if the ray tracing performance increase is a high as suggested, as surely the die size for that chip would just not make it profitable enough use of the wafer.

The 7900 XTX was £1000, barely acceptable but still overpriced IMO. The 7900 XT was £900 which was a joke. So not sure where your prices come from?

Even price tracking sites show the 7900 XTX never got near to £1300. I’m not defending the pricing, but at least post actual facts instead of fantasy crap.
Have a look here, since you want some facts.

Now see how many sold at those prices within a week.

Last edited:
Both good cards. So that also means people who bought the Nvidia 4000 series cards at release, were also paying daft prices, right? Or are Nvidia prices acceptable because well, it is Nvidia, in your mind? People buying at launch always accept they will pay more. This is from Gibbo's Nvidia post:

4080 12GB - start from around £949 for none OC models, with OC models costing more.
4080 16GB - The £1269 MSRP AIB cards which will be available in limited quantities no doubt with OC models costing more
4090 series - The £1679 MSRP will only be for basic AIB cards in very limited quantity, so order with caution as these will sell out and over sell. The OC models will be shipped in greater numbers with far better availability but of course cost more.

Seems like these prices are just as bad.

OCUK is not indicative of the actual prices. The 7900 XTX was always available at no more than £1080 if you shopped around.

OCUK is not indicative of the actual prices. The 7900 XTX was always available at no more than £1080 if you shopped around.
The point I'm making is that because some people seem to be happy to pay far more these companies keep coming out with the daft prices at launch so don't be surprised if an 8800XT is like £700 at launch while only being a bit better than a 7900XT.
Both good cards. So that also means people who bought the Nvidia 4000 series cards at release, were also paying daft prices, right? Or are Nvidia prices acceptable because well, it is Nvidia, in your mind? People buying at launch always accept they will pay more. This is from Gibbo's Nvidia post:

4080 12GB - start from around £949 for none OC models, with OC models costing more.
4080 16GB - The £1269 MSRP AIB cards which will be available in limited quantities no doubt with OC models costing more
4090 series - The £1679 MSRP will only be for basic AIB cards in very limited quantity, so order with caution as these will sell out and over sell. The OC models will be shipped in greater numbers with far better availability but of course cost more.

Seems like these prices are just as bad.
Of course, the same applied to the 4080 especially. That card never sold well at launch despite it being a better all round product in terms of features and efficiency while having similar raster but I think that was more to do with being called the 4080 rather than 4080ti as buyers couldn't bring themselves to pay double what the 3080 cost, the same would have probably happened for AMD had they called the 7900XTX a 7800XT.

Reactions: TNA
The point I'm making is that because some people seem to be happy to pay far more these companies keep coming out with the daft prices at launch so don't be surprised if an 8800XT is like £700 at launch while only being a bit better than a 7900XT.

I know the point you are trying to make but the majority were not prepared to pay £1300 for a 7900 XTX and certainly not £1100 for the 7900 XT. The XT became a lot cheaper within 6 months and the XTX a bit longer. The problem is the people who still bought 4090s at their very high prices.

Back
Top Bottom