• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

If they can match a 4080 in RT, Raster seems to be AMD's strong suit, Then they need to come in at a very decent price or people will simply look at Nvidia's offerings due to having majority market mindshare.

Yep. If they want to make a statement and gain some market share they need to bring 4080 performance (both rasta and RT) for £499.

In the mean time work on upscaling to catch up with DLSS.

I think a lot will depend on how Nvidia release. If the 5070 ends up the 4080 level performance for £lol, then AMD may play the same old game price slightly below Nvidia.

It’s AMD, they will find a way to make the release underwhelming.

Last edited:
Given how punishing some of the lastest RT titles are now and we are seeing path traced far more than expected (the momentum is only gaining drastically now and showing no signs of slowing down), 70ti RT perf that we have had for the past 4 years is not good enough going forward unless they price it <£500. RDNA top end GPU needs to be 4080 level at the very least but ideally 4090 level
RT will never truly take off until $300-$400 can run it well as that’s where most the market is.

RT will never truly take off until $300-$400 can run it well as that’s where most the market is.

Except it has.... There are countless UE 5 titles where RT cannot be turned of at all, there are a handful of other games on other engines where you also can't turn off RT. As discussed so many times now, the lower end hardware can run RT just fine, just not dialled to max i.e. avatar, spiderman 2, metro ee and the newer games out now. Lumen/software RT will be the main one sought after of course rather than full on PT. Publishers want things done quick and for cheap so devs will go with what saves them time and money and RT workloads are that hence why in recent games with RT, raster methods are looking beyond awful now.

@mrk iirc you posted a list with these titles, have you still got that list?

Last edited:
I think a lot will depend on how Nvidia release. If the 5070 ends up the 4080 level performance for £lol, then AMD may play the same old game price slightly below Nvidia.

It’s AMD, they will find a way to make the release underwhelming.
The 4070 was a bit below the 3080 for £600 so I’d expect a 4070 to be in between a 4070ti super and 4080 for maybe £650, the issue will be if they go with 12gb vram again.

It depends what you mean by “run it well”. Most RT effects can be run on a sub $400 GPU even from AMD. That assumes you are on 1080p and are OK to use upscaling. It also assumes you aren’t planning to run CP2077 with path tracing and psycho RT.

The 4070 was a bit below the 3080 for £600 so I’d expect a 4070 to be in between a 4070ti super and 4080 for maybe £650, the issue will be if they go with 12gb vram again.

That’s my point, Nvidia barely moved the needle in price/perf with the 40x0 range apart from the 4090. In fact their price/perf went down a lot. AMD see Nvidia taking the pee and tend to follow suit, maybe not as much but certainly enough to have people notice.

There are countless UE 5 titles where RT cannot be turned of at all,
Not countless, all of them that use Lumen, Lumen is UE5's internal ray tracer, software path still uses screen space elements of course but it's still software RT all the sam,e and cannot be turned off in those games.

Except it has.... There are countless UE 5 titles where RT cannot be turned of at all, there are a handful of other games on other engines where you also can't turn off RT. As discussed so many times now, the lower end hardware can run RT just fine, just not dialled to max i.e. avatar, spiderman 2, metro ee and the newer games out now. Lumen/software RT will be the main one sought after of course rather than full on PT. Publishers want things done quick and for cheap so devs will go with what saves them time and money and RT workloads are that hence why in recent games with RT, raster methods are looking beyond awful now.

@mrk iirc you posted a list with these titles, have you still got that list?
Raster looks awful because cards are VRAM limited so devs are going with lower res textures, Wukong is an example of this.

Last edited:
Raster looks awful because cards are VRAM limited so devs are going with lower res textures, Wukong is an example of this.

Nope what you are referring to is absolutely nothing to do with vram and RT/raster.... Textures are different to SSR, cube maps, RT etc. Devs simply aren't seeing the point now in putting the effort into raster effects and there is no valid reason for them to do so anymore other than if they are still supporting old gen consoles with no RT support.

Nope what you are referring to is absolutely nothing to do with vram and RT/raster.... Textures are different to SSR, cube maps, RT etc. Devs simply aren't seeing the point now in putting the effort into raster effects and there is no valid reason for them to do so anymore other than if they are still supporting old gen consoles with no RT support.
Textures still play an important role and is a cheap way to enhance looks without much of a performance hit provided you have enough VRAM.

Textures still play an important role and is a cheap way to enhance looks without much of a performance hit provided you have enough VRAM.

Well yes, that goes without saying but that still doesn't have anything to do with the original point where raster effects i.e. SSR, illumination, shadows, AO etc. look awful or now non existent because devs are now moving away from dated methods.

Last edited:
I tend to buy mid range so I'll still have options from both AMD and Nvidia

I suppose it depends on what exactly it will mean i.e. if they match 4080/4090 with their next gen and offer that for £500-600, that'll be great. But they really need to get their upscaling sorted out along with competing against ray reconstruction and rtx HDR.

I can see this just going back to the likes of the Polaris days again though....

I suppose it depends on what exactly it will mean i.e. if they match 4080/4090 with their next gen and offer that for £500-600, that'll be great. But they really need to get their upscaling sorted out along with competing against ray reconstruction and rtx HDR.

I can see this just going back to the likes of the Polaris days again though....

Yeah I would want minimum 4080 type of performance fingers crossed

I don’t think it’s going to be 4080 levels of performance. I think this is probably wishful thinking.

I’m still interested to see what they can bring to the table though. I just sold my 4090 because it seemed like a good time to do so, and I don’t think I will be replacing it with anything high end. To be honest I would happily spend £500 ish on the next card because I don’t really play that many games these days.

I don’t think it’s going to be 4080 levels of performance. I think this is probably wishful thinking.
Agreed, all hype. If it's anywhere *near* it then it will have done well!

Sold my 4090 7/8 months ago (not much gaming really, overkill) and switched it for a s/h XTX Nitro which was half the cost, been more than happy with it.

Last edited:
If the rumours are 4070ti RT performance then that is it, game over. They already have that RT performance in the 7900xtx, the 4070ti is equilvalent to 3090 RT perf so they will still be matching 4 year old RT perf then lol...... The GPU will need to be priced at £300 if that is the case.

Am I the only one who thinks we're misreading AMD?
The fact that they are targeting mainstream should mean that the top AMD card will aim to match the 5070 tier, not the actual ones, just like the 5700 aimed to the x70 of that generation.

In my opinion it makes no sense that AMD will not make a card that is at least marginally better than their current top tier, are we really saying that RDNA4 would be a worse upgrade than the various Polaris refresh?
Even a simple node refresh of the current XTX cards would yeld around 10% improvement through clock bumps at minimal development costs and that is with the current RDNA 3 architecture.

Back
Top Bottom