• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

Am I the only one who thinks we're misreading AMD?
The fact that they are targeting mainstream should mean that the top AMD card will aim to match the 5070 tier, not the actual ones, just like the 5700 aimed to the x70 of that generation.

In my opinion it makes no sense that AMD will not make a card that is at least marginally better than their current top tier, are we really saying that RDNA4 would be a worse upgrade than the various Polaris refresh?
Even a simple node refresh of the current XTX cards would yeld around 10% improvement through clock bumps at minimal development costs and that is with the current RDNA 3 architecture.
The 480 was slower than their previous top spec card, but much much cheaper. And kind of became a legend that combined with its various re-releases sold by the ton. So honestly I'm in the wait and see camp. I hope we get a 8800xt that's as fast as a 4080 for £500 ish. But in truth a card that performs like a 4070 super but only costs £250 would be pretty damn popular right now. That said I don't think either of those is going to happen. And likely will be at what ever they think the highest price they can get away with is.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks we're misreading AMD?
The fact that they are targeting mainstream should mean that the top AMD card will aim to match the 5070 tier, not the actual ones, just like the 5700 aimed to the x70 of that generation.

In my opinion it makes no sense that AMD will not make a card that is at least marginally better than their current top tier, are we really saying that RDNA4 would be a worse upgrade than the various Polaris refresh?
Even a simple node refresh of the current XTX cards would yeld around 10% improvement through clock bumps at minimal development costs and that is with the current RDNA 3 architecture.

I think we are going back to the days where amd just released refresh of previous gpus with price amendments and some improvements in certain areas i.e. much like from the 290 up to the 580 :o

Of course, for the low-mid range gamers who have no interest in RT (even though they should given the current and future situation and you have amds top end gpu now matching/being surpassed by 4 year old nvidia gpu and more and more titles will not provide an off option but I digress....) and aren't wanting to spend more than £500, it is probably good news for them but sadly the top end market is now just going to be nvidia.

I actually wonder how much of it is a case of amd don't want to make big monolithic dies, but also haven't really got chiplets working properly on gaming gpus. So they caught in the middle. Making small dies with the hope of working out how to glue them together later.

I don’t think it’s going to be 4080 levels of performance. I think this is probably wishful thinking.

I’m still interested to see what they can bring to the table though. I just sold my 4090 because it seemed like a good time to do so, and I don’t think I will be replacing it with anything high end. To be honest I would happily spend £500 ish on the next card because I don’t really play that many games these days.

so what do you think AMD will be competing to equivalent nvidia card ? 5070 or 5060 ? , 5070 should be close to the 4080 in performance ?
how low are we expecting them to drop 7800xt type of performance for less cost? I wouldnt call that mid range level for next gen

Last edited:
I actually wonder how much of it is a case of amd don't want to make big monolithic dies, but also haven't really got chiplets working properly on gaming gpus. So they caught in the middle. Making small dies with the hope of working out how to glue them together later.
The problem is as always reliance on TSMC and wafer supply. They just don't have the allocation to make everything everyone would like to see in large volumes. Top priority is EPYC everything after that is drip fed. The low bins of EPYC go into Ryzen CPU's.
This is now compounded further with how tight (and expensive) supply of 3nm will be.
Samsung and Intel Foundry have to catch up fast to alleviate the current strangle hold TSMC currently have in the foundry space.

Making small dies in the current situation with supply is the smartest move they can make with 5nm and it's derivatives.

Last edited:
Better in what way, if we're talking about raw performance then yes it could be worse than their current top tier card however it's not just about performance, it's about cost/performance.

Making whizz bang beat everything cards/GPUs is all well and good but if hardly anyone can afford to buy them they may as well not exist.

Better in what way, if we're talking about raw performance then yes it could be worse than their current top tier card however it's not just about performance, it's about cost/performance.

Making whizz bang beat everything cards/GPUs is all well and good but if hardly anyone can afford to buy them they may as well not exist.

Not expecting Making whizz bang beat everything cards/GPUs , we expecting mid range for next generation standards right ? Not sure 7800xt type performance will be mid range by next generation standards, imo next gen mid range type performance is probably around 7900xt/7900xtx

Last edited:

The 4090 seems to have sold quite well. 0.98% in the steam survey which is roughly 1.3m units.

I think we are going back to the days where amd just released refresh of previous gpus with price amendments and some improvements in certain areas i.e. much like from the 290 up to the 580 :o

Of course, for the low-mid range gamers who have no interest in RT (even though they should given the current and future situation and you have amds top end gpu now matching/being surpassed by 4 year old nvidia gpu and more and more titles will not provide an off option but I digress....) and aren't wanting to spend more than £500, it is probably good news for them but sadly the top end market is now just going to be nvidia.
Top end market (with RT/PT) was Nvidia's anyway. Even the current gen, arguably, AMD only competed with a x70 card (which 4080 really is). Similar to how 7970 in the past also competed with a midrange gtx680.

Basically will probably be copy - paste this gen.

Last edited:
So we're kinda going back to a GCN type setup in a way where everything was on the one chip and not split into gaming\prosumer setups as it has been since rdna came into being.

Last edited:
Problem with the unified approach is that a lot of die space may be used for architecture which could be useless for gaming and unnecessarily increases the cost of each chip that is destined for gaming.

PlayStation 5 news but rdna4 related

The ps5 pro was announced with 300% faster RT than the base machine and 67% more CUs

Mark Cerny discussed the RT in an interview and said this:

PS5 Pro uses a new advanced ray tracing feature set that AMD built and will use as the next gen step in their roadmap. But if you look around, currently there are no other AMD GPUs that use this technology yet, we are the first. We motivated and pushed AMD in the development of this, and I'm very happy we did, the response from the developers has been extraordinarily great.

Cerny basically saying AMD has created some new RT hardware that will be used in future GPUs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom