• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of deflecting - I am asking you another time. Where are all these £70 to £80 22" 1080p monitors with DP.
I'm not deflecting, I'm ignoring your straw/deflection.

You keep saying its adding cost
Not to the manufacturing cost, to the retail price, manufacturers charge more for the feature.

the nearest competitor to the AOC,is a blasted HannsG which costs around the same which has no FreeSync. Surely it should be massively cheaper??
Maybe you should explain to AOC/HannsG that you think they are pricing their monitors wrong.

The fact is I doubt you even heard of that monitor before I mentioned it,let alone even seen one in the real world.
I hadn't no, I looked it up along with the others in the same range and AOC's other models before I pointed out to you that if the monitor didn't have Freesync they wouldn't charge as much for it (just like they don't charge as much for the non-Freesync versions of it's sister models).

This thread has turned into 'the Cat rant' thread. Give it a rest please fella. Some of us are actually interested in what Vega talk is going on.
Indeed, it's quite sad the amount of goalpost shifting and straw signing he's done over what's now multiple pages just because he wouldn't accept facts that are in plain sight as they clashed with his opinion /sigh.

its always about trying to push Nvidia is better in an AMD thread.
I didn't even mention Nvidia! But for reference, monitor manufacturers charge extra for Gsync too /shock.

It wasn't reviewed, it was just the blind test using an engineering sample. AMD took it away at the end of the day.
There might not be any actual cards to review. It could account for the lack of leaks.

the launch is in a few days, it would be completely bonkers if reviewers don't already have review samples

Why did they make the FE look so nice and yet the RX Vega look so meh?
I actually like the look of the reference Vega/RX4x0 cooler design. Considering how much better the reference RX480 cooler seems to perform than the ref 1070/1080 blowers it's kind of reassuring to see a proven design being expanded upon for a new card with higher TDP :)

I cant believe there are no leaks or indication of performance from anybody anywhere in the world. What is AMD doing?

this is not good marketing in my books UNLESS they really have something MONSTROUS in performance, which is unlikely.

How did past AMD releases go as I never follow this stuff. Let alone most past releases I cannot remember from either side.

Just the bit about trying to make the monitors look the same doesn't sit well with me.

Why? The entire point was trying to make the setups as similar as possible so you couldn't get an idea by the colours. Amd generally has a better default colour setup than nvidia so they wanted to make sure that wasn't a factor.

the one hardOCP had for their blind test, lol

unless you mean actual boxed, then no, but thats not unusual as its all under NDA, we sometimes get some leaks, but its not guarenteed
As mentioned it was an engineering sample representative of the retail product. I was also meaning no mentions of "the review card has arrived!" etc

How did past AMD releases go as I never follow this stuff. Let alone most past releases I cannot remember from either side.

The HD4000 had virtually no information and all the rumours were wrong,and IIRC the HD7970 was similar.

The HD5850/HD5870 had a preview done by HardOCP yonks before launch(IIRC,could be wrong here).

Then you had Polaris 10 which had lots of previews,and Chinese forums got the specs and performance correct weeks before launch.

So,its anybody's guess!

Why? The entire point was trying to make the setups as similar as possible so you couldn't get an idea by the colours. Amd generally has a better default colour setup than nvidia so they wanted to make sure that wasn't a factor.

Yea the whole blind testing is about play ability and how smooth the game play is. Making the monitor colours as close as possible takes away as much as possible anyone's colour preferences. To many excuses flying about. The facts are the Vega machine got more like than the Nvidia side as towards which was smoother. The numbers will be released at some point and this test won't help AMD here. What it does do is show that a cheaper Freesync monitor gives out a great experience.

As I said previously they seemed to go to a lot of trouble to not introduce any bias then they altered the settings of both panels.

IIRC Fury launch was filled with controversy over reviewers being left out in the cold because they were perceived as being 'not favourable' towards AMD in the past, in other words it was quite a controlled launch by AMD.

If that's continuing I assume Hard OCP must be on the favourable list to have gotten a card and to me a 'blind test' suggests they don't want you to see actual figures and throwing FreeSync v G-Sync into the mix would suggest value for money isn't brilliant either.

For the Fury, only the X was "available" at launch, very few units available worldwide resulting in spectacular price gouging ( £649 rather than RRP of £509 ) , dont know if that counts as a paper launch. Cant remember if much leaked re performance / images etc prior.

There was then loads of problems with the AIO pump noise and most of those 1st batch probably went back , which really didnt help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom