• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the blind test what I don't understand is they took the trouble to wipe the drives, reinstalled win 10, used their own 1080Ti, monitored the installation of the RX, used their own copy of DOOM with the Ultra preset (unaltered) and yet they

It seems odd after all that effort to not introduce bias they then manually tweak the monitor settings :confused:

Why would that be odd? If one screen looks better than the other then people will prefer the better screen. It's a blind test, so they calibrated the screens to look the same. It's makes perfect sense to me.

They even mentioned in this hardocp review that they knobbled the IPS screen on IQ to try to hide the fact the AMD setup would have had a worse image

You are wrong, they didn't hobble the IPS Gysnc screen.

We where just trying to get the colors to match as close as possible doing side by side calibrations. The FreeSync panel had a noticeably better IQ at default.

The two monitors in the test are well reviewed. At 100Hz, they would be so similar as to be identical. Pixel response is about the same, input lag is about the same. They have even been calibrated to look the same.

Well right now as it stands it looks to me as if AMD's RX Vega offering will not beat a 1080Ti. Hence why they are saying "Hey, you cant tell the difference in experience from the RX Vega against a 1080/Ti with Freesync/G-Sync as far as playing a game is concerned and there is a $300 price difference overall for the graphics/Monitor Offering". They cannot give you a card right now that beats a Ti on straight FPS numbers, so this is their next best play. This possibly indicates that with an average difference of say $150 - $200 on the equivalent monitors that the RX Vega maybe $100 cheaper than the 1080, which would be a good thing.

This is all the info we have right now and I think this is indeed what we are going to get. A competitively priced card offering 1080 performance which is just enough to keep them in the game until the next generation of cards are ready. Vega, just like Fiji is a stepping stone to Navi and full integration with the infinity fabric. I don't think we will see the 'Ryzen Effect' in the AMD GPU space until at least Navi. As I have kept saying all along "Slowly, Slowly Catchee Monkey". You cant do this all in one go while trying to get your CPU division off the floor with the budget that they have had in recent years. To be honest what they have done with such a small budget compared to Nvidia is pretty fantastic IMHO while fighting on two fronts.

My only disappointment is they seem to have taken a step backwards as far as efficiency/power/heat is concerned with these cards (I am more concerned about the heat rather than power because at the end of the day the extra wattage over a year is pennies).

This launch is a strange one though as far as info is concerned. Even by AMDs standards this is very strangely low key indeed. To me this can only mean that they do not want to make a big song and dance about a card that matches a card (1080) that is already a year old and more efficient. Either that or they are about to pull the biggest mike drop ever and we see the RX Vega with all features now unlocked and knocking heads with a 1080Ti or better. This would truly be a showstopping moment, but I feel that this will not happen....at least not this time around.

Anyway they are my honest thoughts on this launch and I think we all ought to be realistic about it and wait a few more days for the real numbers. What I will say though is that given a few months and a few driver updates, the 1080Ti wont be as far out in front as it is now.

:D

Whoop Whoop my Vega arrived!!!!!

throwpillow_small_750x1000_bg_f8f8f8.jpg

mYAfZk

Benchies! :D

Well right now as it stands it looks to me as if AMD's RX Vega offering will not beat a 1080Ti. Hence why they are saying "Hey, you cant tell the difference in experience from the RX Vega against a 1080/Ti with Freesync/G-Sync as far as playing a game is concerned and there is a $300 price difference overall for the graphics/Monitor Offering". They cannot give you a card right now that beats a Ti on straight FPS numbers, so this is their next best play. This possibly indicates that with an average difference of say $150 - $200 on the equivalent monitors that the RX Vega maybe $100 cheaper than the 1080, which would be a good thing.

the monitors tested were $769 and $1300, so if the AMD offering was "$300 cheaper" which is the inference, then it means RX Vega would be ~$200 more than a 1080ti, while offering 1080-like performance

The two monitors I am referring too are DELL S2716DG vs Asus MG278Q. Price difference is less than £20.

So that's 27" 144hz either FreeSync vs Gysnc. Comparable price.

Different brands though so it's not a true like for like comparison is it, You're comparing an overpriced Asus model to one of the cheapest Dell models.

They didn't have amd on the site micro managing anything, someone from amd installed the card and drivers, that was it. They weren't allowed to divulge information under embargo so obviously the information you got from it was limited.

Might want to read the article and the forum thread for more info on what actually was going on. The machines were totally formatted, kyle used one of his ti card and not the 1080 supplied by amd, they wanted him to use a 1080 and he said nope and used a ti. Even the choice of game was down to him, not amd.

I have watched the full video and I have read the article, He wrote that he chose to go with Doom for the test and that alone show's that he's either completely out of step with the current situation and what people are waiting to hear & learn about or he had to choose from a list of games AMD provided. It is one of only 3 or 4 games we have already seen with RX Vega and it's one that favour's AMD architecture. Also the way he said it leaves it open ended, He chose to go with Doom! Out of what? A selection he was given to choose from? Or did he simply pick a games we've already seen instead of one of hundreds that could have been tested to give us a look at how it performs in DX11 titles. I find it hard to believe that a tech reviewer would have done that unless his options were limited.

I have watched the full video and I have read the article, He wrote that he chose to go with Doom for the test and that alone show's that he's either completely out of step with the current situation and what people are waiting to hear & learn about or he had to choose from a list of games AMD provided. It is one of only 3 or 4 games we have already seen with RX Vega and it's one that favour's AMD architecture. Also the way he said it leaves it open ended, He chose to go with Doom! Out of what? A selection he was given to choose from? Or did he simply pick a games we've already seen instead of one of hundreds that could have been tested to give us a look at how it performs in DX11 titles. I find it hard to believe that a tech reviewer would have done that unless his options were limited.

Kyle_Bennett said:
I could have picked any game I wanted to. AMD did not have control over the testing. The overall idea for testing was theirs' and agreed to, but I could have used any game that I wanted to.

As for it "favouring" amd, doom runs well on either company's cards. As as you might remember doom was showcased first of all running on pascal, amd optimizations came later on, and that includes vulcan optimizations.

Sorry guys, I am stupid :)

All the current AMD Vega Frontier Edition are for professional AutoCAD users, not for gamers?
We are still waiting for a gaming card from AMD?

It will cost ~$400-600 at release?
RX will be the gaming brand?

The Frontier Edition is between 1070 and 1080? (only?) As fast as my current R9 390X and use more power doing so?

Will he RX be much faster than the Pro?

I am not going beyond 1080p in the near future, don't care about 4k for now until it is mainstream. Don't know if my monitor can do any-sync.

p.s. since I am quite happy with my 390X, will it be a significant upgrade?

The FuryX didn't receive massive acclaim yet it's sat in my system for the last two+ years and has served me well, I'm not looking for raw performance figures to be honest. As long as the Vega offers a decent upgrade then I'm in.

Main reason I didn't go to the Nvidia is I have an Acer XR341CK (Freesync)
Yes actually my bottlenecked, vram-limited, unoverclockable etc. etc. Fury makes me want a new gpu and since there's been little value at the high-end my gpu fund is looking good. Thing is the fury still plays all my games at 1440 and some of the gains over the last year are good. Nice to see one company nowadays not kicking consumers with planned obsolescence.

Sorry guys, I am stupid :)

All the current AMD Vega Frontier Edition are for professional AutoCAD users, not for gamers?
We are still waiting for a gaming card from AMD?

It will cost ~$400-600 at release?
RX will be the gaming brand?

The Frontier Edition is between 1070 and 1080? (only?) As fast as my current R9 390X and use more power doing so?

Will he RX be much faster than the Pro?

I am not going beyond 1080p in the near future, don't care about 4k for now until it is mainstream. Don't know if my monitor can do any-sync.

p.s. since I am quite happy with my 390X, will it be a significant upgrade?
Yes frontier Vega is for data scientists not gamers. Don't believe the hype about rx Vega until you read the reviews, no way of knowing what is fake news.

As mentioned it was an engineering sample representative of the retail product. I was also meaning no mentions of "the review card has arrived!" etc
Worrying that AMD are still flying around with engineering samples, not finished cards.

Does hint that we're looking at a paper launch, with actual retail cards being potentially weeks/months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom