• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've never been happy with VA panels after having a proper IPS one that's been calibrated. Never mind the lower resolutions.

All the monitors now still use DP 1.2. I'm hoping 1.3 or 1.4 ones show up soon, as that'll give up the bandwidth for 144Hz at 3440x1440 without issue; or colour depth compromises.

I'm surprised we've heard nothing about Freesync 2 since it's announcement; and no monitors featuring it.

I thought they'd of been pushing the monitor maker's to get them out the door asap too. I suppose there's more too it than that though, probably due to the inclusion of HDR, I don't really see why they made HDR a requirement for Freesync 2, It should have only been about the sync specific features like full width working ranges and LFC, HDR isn't related to it and by including HDR there will still have to be regular Freesync panels which means some monitor makers will continue to make sub par Freesync monitor's which in turn will continue to damage the reputation of Freesync, It's like AMD insist on throwing a spanner in the works whenever they make a big change to something they do, There must be someone somewhere along AMD's employee ladder who's an utter moron with too much control and too much say in the decision process. Until they find and remove those people they'll continue missing the golden opportunities to prove just how good AMD is at what it does.

G-Sync not FreeSync, and 4K at 27"? Yuck.

27" for that res is mess with Windows scaling. Give 10-bit HDR 3440x1400p at 144Hz please.

Im running 1440p at 23,8 inches and i would love 4k at 24 inch as well if it where not for the horse power required and that is at 100% scaling so non of that gigantuan screen size plz for me atleast.

Im running 1440p at 23,8 inches and i would love 4k at 24 inch as well if it where not for the horse power required and that is at 100% scaling so non of that gigantuan screen size plz for me atleast.

24" 4K? Windows scaling is already rather meh, and the mount required for that would be really bad. To each his own though; just to me that seems like a terrible option. :D

Ahhh so much confusion in my head.

Heart wants Nvidia card. Brain says, Vega 'New shiny', Vega better DX12 and Vulkan Support.

But heart says 'cry in to cereals when Volta launches' and I'm stuck with a FreeSync monitor.

Brain says, you have Ryzen chip. Vega / Ryzen cool and maybe drivers optimised for architecture.

Brain and heart confused. :(

---

Brain says, buy both Vega and GTX 1080 and switch between them as you like. :D

Heart says.... OK, you paying for it? :rolleyes:

Quite a difference between 24" 1440p, and 4K at 27". I've tried it before it it's just not nice.

I'd prefer at least 30-32" for a 4K monitor if it's on my desk.

Yeah even a 32" 4K has as small pixels as a 2560x1440 would at 22"!

4K's a powerful resolution, and you don't want your pixels to be too small, or you won't be able to read anything without using a lot of scaling.

I have a 24" 1920x1080 monitors, and sit about 2 feet away. I think smaller pixels would be nice, but not too much.

I think the pixel size of 27" 2560x1440 is roughly perfect. Which are about 40% smaller than 24" 1920x1080.

Heart wants Nvidia card. Brain says, Vega 'New shiny', Vega better DX12 and Vulkan Support.

But heart says 'cry in to cereals when Volta launches' and I'm stuck with a FreeSync monitor.

Brain says, you have Ryzen chip. Vega / Ryzen cool and maybe drivers optimised for architecture.

---

Well more games need to come out, and we need to see if Nvidia fix their drivers (and/or Volta solves the problem) but remember there is definitely a problem with Ryzen + Nvidia in certain games.

It seems very likely it's just Nvidia's software scheduler (since their arch has no hardware scheduler) crossing CCX boundaries too much on certain games. Probably because the scheduler tries to stay out of the way of the cores the game is using. So if a game is threaded in a certain way, that makes the scheduler have to cross CCX's.

They can almost certainly fix that, they just have to go ahead and do it!

Example of rocket league if some people are unaware:

GTX 1080 vs Fury
jhgGIfB.jpg.png
E0J5uva.jpg.png

GTX 1060 vs RX 480
YH2YnHu.jpg.png
Y4BCudE.jpg.png

From Anandtech

Well more games need to come out, and we need to see if Nvidia fix their drivers (and/or Volta solves the problem) but remember there is definitely a problem with Ryzen + Nvidia in certain games.

It seems very likely it's just Nvidia's software scheduler (since their arch has no hardware scheduler) crossing CCX boundaries too much on certain games. Probably because the scheduler tries to stay out of the way of the cores the game is using. So if a game is threaded in a certain way, that makes the scheduler have to cross CCX's.

They can almost certainly fix that, they just have to go ahead and do it!

Example of rocket league if some people are unaware:

GTX 1080 vs Fury
jhgGIfB.jpg.png
E0J5uva.jpg.png

GTX 1060 vs RX 480
YH2YnHu.jpg.png
Y4BCudE.jpg.png

From Anandtech

Interesting thx

just hoping that the sunday launch wont lead into another long countdown :)

btw coolermaster suggests that a ryzen 1700 + 2x vega fe would require a 800W PSU... will that be good enough..
Loadsamoney suggested 1.8kW.. and that looks like an overkill... so anyone who can share some calculations for the above config. thanks.

---

someone once told me .. maintain an 18 month replacement policy for the box.. so that by the 12 month you already feel detached about your last buying decision :D

btw coolermaster suggests that a ryzen 1700 + 2x vega fe would require a 800W PSU... will that be good enough..
Loadsamoney suggested 1.8kW.. and that looks like an overkill... so anyone who can share some calculations for the above config. thanks.

I'd leave 200 watt for the CPU regardless of whether you actually need it - covers some of the additional circuitry, overhead for overclocking, etc. then those GPUs can easily make use of 300 watt each and with overclocking 400 then you want some over for fans and HDDs, etc. I'd seriously be looking at a good brand 1-1.2kw PSU for 2 of those cards in a system.

someone once told me .. maintain an 18 month replacement policy for the box.. so that by the 12 month you already feel detached about your last buying decision :D

It's the blooming monitor that's the issue here. If I buy FreeSync panel I'm tied in to AMD for the life time of the monitor.

If we go back and look at the last 10 years of AMD vs Nvidia GPU's, who over the last 10 years has had a better track record?

It's hard to bet against Nvidia.

So based on this Volta vs Navi.... well you've got to say history suggest Nvidia will still be on top.

Also some of my favourite games over the years have been Nvidia titles... Metro series, Witcher 3! It would kill me if the new Metro game comes out and uses physx again and my Vega cant benefit from the effects.

---

I was thinking of solving this problem with a second hand 1080... but it seems the most your get is £100 saving. I'm not sure thats a big enough saving especially the card is second hand and you have no idea what the cards has been through in it's life.

---

The only thing that Vega can do to make me go Vega is:

1. Some x factor we aren't anticipating. I.e this HBCC actually does help with minimum frames.

2. There is definitely some optimisation benefit paring a Vega with a Ryzen.

Etc etc...

Last edited:
Well from what I understand there wasn't much interest in pushing adaptive sync tech when nVidia was trying to get it introduced - it was only after they went away and made their own version VESA suddenly started to do anything.
As if nVidia approached VESA with the intent on making an open display sync standard. Even you aren't so biased as to actually think that.

It's the blooming monitor that's the issue here. If I buy FreeSync panel I'm tied in to AMD for the life time of the monitor.

If we go back and look at the last 10 years of AMD vs Nvidia GPU's, who over the last 10 years has had a better track record?

It's hard to bet against Nvidia.

So based on this Volta vs Navi.... well you've got to say history suggest Nvidia will still be on top.

Also some of my favourite games over the years have been Nvidia titles... Metro series, Witcher 3! It would kill me if the new Metro game comes out and uses physx again and my Vega cant benefit from the effects.

The other option is buying a 100+Hz FS monitor where you are saving considerably over the nearest G-Sync alternative and spending the additional on nVidia GPU horsepower so as to get the best out of using FastSync on nVidia - still not an idea situation though and some games even a highly clocked 1080ti might not be enough to fully max out FastSync's potential with less than ideal results if your framerate is dropping compared to FS/GS :|

Personally I'd just buy a G-Sync monitor and be done with it TBH it isn't looking like nVidia will be the bad option any time soon.

As if nVidia approached VESA with the intent on making an open display sync standard. Even you aren't so biased as to actually think that.

Actually it was brought up at some of the VESA forums (not online forums) ages before it appeared as adaptative sync in the DP spec - from what I can gather there was some resistance from members of VESA who have invested interest in VRR in their professional products (i.e. air traffic control displays). I don't know the real ins and outs of it but definitely nVidia raised the prospects of it within the industry body before going away and making their own version. (I don't think nVidia acted alone though in bringing it up but as part of a group that may or may not have included AMD I don't have info on that).

EDIT: Don't forget this isn't a first - while we can question their intent/motives/sincerity when they first acquired PhysX they offered to open up the system to other partners if they showed interest and everyone turned them down...

Last edited:

Kyle over on HardOCP, who did the blind test video, said that a 750W PSU would be ample for RX Vega.

Apparently AMD won't be live streaming Siggraph...

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/891316283576393728

HEcpOvMFTiurOzS40g8R8Q.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom