• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the blooming monitor that's the issue here. If I buy FreeSync panel I'm tied in to AMD for the life time of the monitor.

If we go back and look at the last 10 years of AMD vs Nvidia GPU's, who over the last 10 years has had a better track record?

It's hard to bet against Nvidia.

So based on this Volta vs Navi.... well you've got to say history suggest Nvidia will still be on top.

Also some of my favourite games over the years have been Nvidia titles... Metro series, Witcher 3! It would kill me if the new Metro game comes out and uses physx again and my Vega cant benefit from the effects.

---

I was thinking of solving this problem with a second hand 1080... but it seems the most your get is £100 saving. I'm not sure thats a big enough saving especially the card is second hand and you have no idea what the cards has been through in it's life.

---

The only thing that Vega can do to make me go Vega is:

1. Some x factor we aren't anticipating. I.e this HBCC actually does help with minimum frames.

2. There is definitely some optimisation benefit paring a Vega with a Ryzen.

Etc etc...

Why don't you wait until after the launch to decide this? Posting every few days about your dilemma isn't going to change anything. We still don't know for sure what RX Vega will be like.

Besides, I wouldn't buy a new monitor now anyway, with Freesync 2 monitors, HDR and improved refresh rate monitors coming before the end of the year, it's a good time to actually wait for a change. All of this generation's monitors suffer from something either BLB or IPS glow or bad quality, stuck pixels, etc. Reading about the new Samsung monitors incoming, they sound brilliant, and no tearing, even without gsync/freesync.

It's the blooming monitor that's the issue here. If I buy FreeSync panel I'm tied in to AMD for the life time of the monitor.

If we go back and look at the last 10 years of AMD vs Nvidia GPU's, who over the last 10 years has had a better track record?

It's hard to bet against Nvidia.

So based on this Volta vs Navi.... well you've got to say history suggest Nvidia will still be on top.

Also some of my favourite games over the years have been Nvidia titles... Metro series, Witcher 3! It would kill me if the new Metro game comes out and uses physx again and my Vega cant benefit from the effects.

---

I was thinking of solving this problem with a second hand 1080... but it seems the most your get is £100 saving. I'm not sure thats a big enough saving especially the card is second hand and you have no idea what the cards has been through in it's life.

---

The only thing that Vega can do to make me go Vega is:

1. Some x factor we aren't anticipating. I.e this HBCC actually does help with minimum frames.

2. There is definitely some optimisation benefit paring a Vega with a Ryzen.

that freesync vs. gsync cannot be solved till monitor manufacturers provide a toggle switch on the monitor for either modes.. that would result in +$200 depreciated over 7-10 years.. still better than the current situation
till this happens.. i would rather stick with gsync.. the protracted wait for vega hasnt been a good experience..
next time, you'd rather prefer to pick-up the best thing thats available than getting entangled with 'wait for navi'

Apparently AMD won't be live streaming Siggraph...

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/891316283576393728

HEcpOvMFTiurOzS40g8R8Q.png

Damn crazy lol !!!

I'm curious as to what they are trying to achieve,

nah that can't be true lol it would be absurd

Kyle over on HardOCP, who did the blind test video, said that a 750W PSU would be ample for RX Vega.

For one card and a CPU and no or light overclocking yes - for two of them and potentially overclocking, etc. you'd need another ~400 watt on top of that (bearing in mind the 750 will have some overhead).

For one card and a CPU and no or light overclocking yes - for two of them and potentially overclocking, etc. you'd need another ~400 watt on top of that (bearing in mind the 750 will have some overhead).

sure thanks.. 1kW looks more like it for now
dont think theres any room for a significant overclock on the reference vega

For price/performance amd have a better record. Now that I'm not as budget constrained I would rather not support co.s like nvidia and apple etc with their overcharging and planned obsolescence etc. But when I was, I always went with best price/performance, I like a gpu to last 2 years or so and of my last five cards only once was nvidia better value price/performance-wise than amd.

There is no doubt that amd have been better value price/performance wise than nvidia for the last decade or so.

24" 4K? Windows scaling is already rather meh, and the mount required for that would be really bad. To each his own though; just to me that seems like a terrible option. :D

That's the whole point i tried to get across :P I don't need windows scaling cause i agree its meh at best. I prefer 100% and nothing else and i wouldn't mind the sharpness of a 24 inch 4k screen. Considering i dont have 20/20 eyesight i actually find it baffling that so many people claim they cannot read something that "small" when i have absolutely no issue and that's with a right eye being worse than my left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom