• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the same argument with Fiji, and like then the majority of future releases will still be DX9 or 11 with tacked on DX12 patches. Going and buying a gpu just for DX12 & Vulkan isn't quite there yet. Maybe with Navi.

Exactly.

This is WHY the 1000 series aren't great at the next gen API's because in reality we are not there yet. They are beasty DX11 cards with DX12 capability.

True DX12 compatibility will come when Nvidia launch Volta for gamers. Then I imagine we will see proper from the ground up DX12 games.

What would you guys go for AMD Vega or GTX 1080ti if the performance and price would be the same. I am not upgrading just curious what would the majority do?

Simple.
a)Nvidia doesn't support pass through the GPU over the Linux to Windows 10 VM. AMD does it without any performance hit, especially on Ryzen systems.

b) is an upgrade over the FuryX.

c) Pascal is nothing more than a tweaked Maxwell, similarly to Kabylake being a tweaked Skylake. Vega is new tech, bringing Infinity Fabric into the system and a lot of more new techs.

Videocards has clocks listed. Hmm the limited base, and air are really low clocks. As in below Frontier Edition clocks for base vs boost.

mJoHIfasQF_KjM5qyDSTvA.png

QF5xdb-rSkia681l9cEfsw.png

https://videocardz.com/71393/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-rumored-pricing-and-clocks

Lmfao here at that cube, what a ******* gimmick, i bet that puts the price at TXp levels, ******* hilarious!
I like the cube :D

But it is no replacement for price for performance which is what matters.

Simple.
a)Nvidia doesn't support pass through the GPU over the Linux to Windows 10 VM. AMD does it without any performance hit, especially on Ryzen systems.

c) Pascal is nothing more than a tweaked Maxwell, similarly to Kabylake being a tweaked Skylake. Vega is new tech, bringing Infinity Fabric into the system and a lot of more new techs.

I completely agree, but what good is new tech if it does not bring the performance? With all the tech Vega is brining, one would expect it beat the 1080Ti easily, but that is doubtful.

The good thing is, if they price it well, I can see Vega gaining a lot of performance over time which will then be free performance as new games are making use of the new tech vega brings.

Tubing looks longer to me? It was so short on my FuryX it would only fit the rear case fan position and even then I had to take the air cooler off as it wouldn't fit in the case otherwise. Actually I've still got the stock cooler on as I've been unable to detach it from the motherboard!

True. I am comparing the images above, with my FuryX and indeed looks like a third longer on Vega.

Simple.

But will this Infinity fabric ACTUALLY bring tangible performance improvements to the system. If it's just a 'feature' but brings nothing... then it's not worth being there.

These cards need to perform better than the 1000 series in that case.

---

As a Ryzen owner I would love there to be some sort of Vega Ryzen bonus.

If prices are correct, and the $649 is the one with the holocube, where is the pre-order button@Gibbo ?

Price looks good, but it better be well over 1080 performance then. The clocks look too low for me. Especially if Frontier Edition is any indication.

I hope they have a super BIOS and Drivers ready for these.

But will this Infinity fabric ACTUALLY bring tangible performance improvements to the system. If it's just a 'feature' but brings nothing... then it's not worth being there.

These cards need to perform better than the 1000 series in that case.

---

As a Ryzen owner I would love there to be some sort of Vega Ryzen bonus.

We shall find out. Raja said back in January, that Vega GPU on Ryzen system would perform an ecosystem and run better than each part alone.
Maybe would allow to kick CF and use IF for multiple GPU setups. Maybe the 8GB HBM2 cache on the Vega can be shared with the CPUs for more perf. We should know tomorrow morning :)

Price looks good, but it better be well over 1080 performance then. The clocks look too low for me. Especially if Frontier Edition is any indication.

I hope they have a super BIOS and Drivers ready for these.

We shall see. AMD came out with a FuryX UEFI bios 8 months after the card was released, allowing better performance and overclocking.
How many do you believe have upgraded their FuryX/Nano with it though other than myself in here? Many are stuck at 1070/550 on their FX, while with that bios my FX can do 1200/600 and the nano 1150/550.

It makes me wonder how Polaris 10 would have performed at close to 1700MHZ with GDDR5X.

good question, but we might never know. :(

It makes me wonder how Polaris 10 would have performed at close to 1700MHZ with GDDR5X.

As it looks, it might actually scale better than Revamped Fiji would. Wouldn't beat a 1080, but would make a nice middle ground card.

We shall see. AMD came out with a FuryX UEFI bios 8 months after the card was released, allowing better performance and overclocking.
How many do you believe have upgraded their FuryX/Nano with it though other than myself in here? Many are stuck at 1070/550 on their FX, while with that bios my FX can do 1200/600 and the nano 1150/550.
good question, but we might never know. :(

Issue is people want performance day one, few people overclock; even less would flash a new BIOS.
The Frontier Edition has left many with a sour taste in the mouth as well.
Since even overclocked to 1700Mhz, it was only trading blows with a GTX 1080 AIB card, while drawing far too much power.

Not very reassuring when fully unlocked gaming card comes in then with lower base and boost clocks :(

I hope the rumors of new Firmware is true, along with proper gaming optimised drivers that have all the originally mentioned features unlocked and usable.

Yeah, so is 1600mhz on the liquid Frontier Edition, but it never reached it unless overclocked... :/

Sadly the performance and power weren't great either.

Actually, it maintains a solid 1600mhz if you simply undervolt it (which lowered temperatures and power consumption considerably). It seems AMD were totally **** when it came to setting the vega up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom