The American Police

Associate
A guy creeped up to the side a cop and stabbed him in the neck.
Loads more like it.

You're always gonna get some reprobate who will take it on their self to do something as abohorent as this, and I hope the individual rots in hell.

But - if we're talking about shootings, removing guns from the majority has got to be a common sense decision.

Why the hell somebody needs a fire arm in general life really dispels me.

Associate
Firearms ownership isn't the problem - not having common sense regulations is a big part of it (even some fairly small changes would bring down firearms related incidents by around 75% without significantly affecting firearms ownership) and a large part of that is gang on gang violence usually with illegal firearms.

Course it is, obviously the majority will be sensible owners, but there will always be the equation of the idiots who can get hold of one very easily, and there lies the problem.

fez

fez

Caporegime
As I said, they have sixty times the rate. Sixty times. Think about that.

What is the gun ownership rate though. I would wager that its much higher than 60x the UKs. I'm not defending it in any way. America has the issue of a population that wouldn't even consider giving up their guns as they think they make them safer but the only reason they make them any safer is because everyone has the damn things. Getting a gun in the UK is very very hard.

Even if you banned guns tomorrow, the criminal element over there would have a very easy time getting hold of them and they would be in a weird sort of limbo where the police have guns, the criminals have guns and the police would still be scared that anyone they are arresting or dealing with has a gun.

Its messed up but I have no idea how America fixes this. If the police have a lot of their protection and power taken away, as soon as those lost powers lead to police officers losing their lives there will be a massive kick back and the police will go on strike.

Associate
What is the gun ownership rate though. I would wager that its much higher than 60x the UKs. I'm not defending it in any way. America has the issue of a population that wouldn't even consider giving up their guns as they think they make them safer but the only reason they make them any safer is because everyone has the damn things. Getting a gun in the UK is very very hard.

Even if you banned guns tomorrow, the criminal element over there would have a very easy time getting hold of them and they would be in a weird sort of limbo where the police have guns, the criminals have guns and the police would still be scared that anyone they are arresting or dealing with has a gun.

Its messed up but I have no idea how America fixes this. If the police have a lot of their protection and power taken away, as soon as those lost powers lead to police officers losing their lives there will be a massive kick back and the police will go on strike.

Totally agree, it's a self feeding viscious circle.

Last edited:
Soldato

The police seized 20,000 guns in the UK last year.

So not that hard.

Man of Honour
While I understand the point and it is logical, I think you're heading down dangerous territory if you start saying people should know that US police are incompetent and therefore you should expect to be shot if you're not 100% compliant.

I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen the video to do so before commenting. From what I've seen an officer panicked and an unarmed civilian was killed as a result, they didn't even bother with CPR or anything until a senior officer arrives and gets them to actually do their job.

The idiot never done what he was told.
And purposely hid his right lower arm to make it look like he has something to hide.

All he had to do was to show both hands.

What was he told to do?

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The police seized 20,000 guns in the UK last year.

So not that hard.

Where are you getting that figure from? From what I can see it was about 550 and I would wager a lot of those were at the borders trying to be imported. My mate is a policeman in this area and that’s a lot of what they do. Border related importing of weapons and drugs.

Soldato
If it was a medical reason(it wasn't) the guy would have said something.
Not if he was deaf, or non-verbal, or cognitively impaired, or non-English speaking.

There are a lot of people who would struggle to comply. Yes, they're a minority, but having trigger happy cops going around shooting people for non-compliance, when some actually can't comply, is crazy.

And even shooting someone who simply chooses to not comply... That's still not enough to deserve to be shot dead!

Soldato
Not if he was deaf, or non-verbal, or cognitively impaired, or non-English speaking.

There are a lot of people who would struggle to comply. Yes, they're a minority, but having trigger happy cops going around shooting people for non-compliance, when some actually can't comply, is crazy.

And even shooting someone who simply chooses to not comply... That's still not enough to deserve to be shot dead!

He was none of them...but they do shout for a reason.
Everyone knows what it means when a cop has his gun out.

You have to comply it's the law.

Soldato
Where are you getting that figure from? From what I can see it was about 550 and I would wager a lot of those were at the borders trying to be imported. My mate is a policeman in this area and that’s a lot of what they do. Border related importing of weapons and drugs.

"It comes after Sky News learned the number of firearms seized by the National Crime Agency has quadrupled in the last three years."

https://news.sky.com/story/gun-crim...-with-more-than-9-700-cases-reported-11933150

Man of Honour
Whilst no one deserves to die like this you have to wonder what the thought process is when they don't raise/show their hands but would rather video the encounter etc As always ammo for those seeking to create issues in the US.
Recent incident in Dublin is being used as a race issue by many who ignore the fact the guy had a knife and had assaulted the public and police. Pepper spray and tasers deployed and eventually he ended up shot through non compliance. How this is s seen as a race issue is beyond me.

Soldato
He was none of them...but they do shout for a reason.
Everyone knows what it means when a cop has his gun out.

You have to comply it's the law.
We'd already moved past the bit where he wasn't medically impaired, so saying "well he wasn't" is pretty redundant.

Cognitively impaired people might not know what to do. Deaf people might not hear what they're being instructed to do. Blind people might not realise they're the target of the shouting (blind guy got tazered here in the UK like this). Others might not be able to comply through lack of function physically.

It might very well be the law, but the remedy for breaking the law in such a way really doesn't need to be summary execution.

Soldato
Continue reading....

"
In 2017/18 the agency confiscated 104 guns but that rose to 168 in 2018/19.

Over the past 10 months, 425 guns have been seized."

I never saw that.

So someone is not doing there job.

"Figures from the Office for National Statistics reveal that in the year ending March 2019 a total of 9,787 crimes involving guns took place"

So 5-7000 guns are still on the streets.

Soldato
We'd already moved past the bit where he wasn't medically impaired, so saying "well he wasn't" is pretty redundant.

Cognitively impaired people might not know what to do. Deaf people might not hear what they're being instructed to do. Blind people might not realise they're the target of the shouting (blind guy got tazered here in the UK like this). Others might not be able to comply through lack of function physically.

It might very well be the law, but the remedy for breaking the law in such a way really doesn't need to be summary execution.

Don't use the royal we.

I am very hard of hearing and never been shot.

Oh my. Now your going with blind people.
None of that matters as it wasn't the case. Please stick to facts.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So who you should ask if it isn't the far greater rate of firearms fatalities?

Sorry, not sure what you mean. The NRA are a guns advocacy group who I wouldn't even start to talk to about anything gun related. That was my point.

So 5-7000 guns are still on the streets.

What is that based on? A guess from the number of crimes involving guns? If so, that is a completely made up number. If there was anything like that many guns "on the streets" you wouldn't have 33 gun related murders in a year.

Anything with a firearm would go down as a gun related crime. If I took a toy gun into a shop and robbed it, that would be a gun related crime.

I have no doubt that we have a lot of guns in the UK, just most of them are legal firearms.

There is a reason that certain guns can be traced to multiple crimes and uses. There simply aren't that many to go around.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, not sure what you mean. The NRA are a guns advocacy group who I wouldn't even start to talk to about anything gun related. That was my point.

What is that based on? A guess from the number of crimes involving guns? If so, that is a completely made up number. If there was anything like that many guns "on the streets" you wouldn't have 33 gun related murders in a year.

Anything with a firearm would go down as a gun related crime. If I took a toy gun into a shop and robbed it, that would be a gun related crime.

I have no doubt that we have a lot of guns in the UK, just most of them are legal firearms.

There is a reason that certain guns can be traced to multiple crimes and uses. There simply aren't that many to go around.
My simple point is that firearm rates in USA is far, far higher than in England. And firearm fatalities are correspondingly far higher. That alone ought should decrease firearms fatalities.

Back
Top Bottom