• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Soldato
Has anyone tried 3090 SLi? :eek:

Does it scale well?

My SLI/NVLINK 3090 build :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34846430/

Yes in supported games with mgpu, for work related it scales amazingly for my work use. There is no SLI profiles anymore, so games must support multi GPU natively.

Explained here :-

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ort-transitioning-to-native-game-integrations

NVIDIA SLI Support Transitioning to Native Game Integrations
Updated 09/17/2020 12:31 PM

With the emergence of low level graphics APIs such as DirectX 12 and Vulkan, game developers are able to implement SLI support natively within the game itself instead of relying upon a SLI driver profile. The expertise of the game developer within their own code allows them to achieve the best possible performance from multiple GPUs. As a result, NVIDIA will no longer be adding new SLI driver profiles on RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs starting on January 1st, 2021. Instead, we will focus efforts on supporting developers to implement SLI natively inside the games. We believe this will provide the best performance for SLI users.

Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs.

For GeForce RTX 3090 and future SLI-capable GPUs, SLI will only be supported when implemented natively within the game.

What DirectX 12 games support SLI natively within the game?

DirectX 12 titles include Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Civilization VI, Sniper Elite 4, Gears of War 4, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, Strange Brigade, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Zombie Army 4: Dead War, Hitman, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, and Halo Wars 2.

What Vulkan games support SLI natively within the game?

Vulkan titles include Red Dead Redemption 2, Quake 2 RTX, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, Strange Brigade, and Zombie Army 4: Dead War

How about creative and other non-gaming applications -- will those still support multiple GPUs?

Yes, many creative and other non-gaming applications support multi-GPU performance scaling without the use of SLI driver profiles. These apps will continue to work across all currently supported GPUs as it does today.

Soldato
Jesus.

I have to tell you Purgatory I really dunno if you should be congratulated or just sectioned under the mental health act for your own good lol.
Y1Fh.gif
:cry:;)

It's for work 99% of its life.. So not crazy if it helps me make my income ;). For gaming only it would be :-

giphy.gif

YEah... but I only have one lol. :D

Technically it's a upgrade from a 1080Ti.
I was using a 3070 as a stop gap card (but that's now in my other PC).

Gaming is noticeably smoother, but I had to pull it back a little as it was cooking it's self by default.
It should be water cooled really, but cannot be arsed, it's fine as it is lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
YEah... but I only have one lol. :D

Technically it's a upgrade from a 1080Ti.
I was using a 3070 as stop gap card (but that's now in my other PC).

Gaming is noticeably smoother, but I had to pull it back a little as it was cooking it's self by default.
It should be water cooled really, but cannot be arsed, it's fine as it is lol.

Nice upgrade then :D, yes welcome to this gen of GPUs, they love to get hot, now you see why I stuck a yellow akasa fan inside the case too to blow over my cards and side fan and 3 front fans and 2 rear fans and 1 under the lowest card... or they get hot hot when case is closed up.. I seem to have tamed the beast now thankfully and really didnt want to buy a new case as none come with a optical drive area now and I need that or look like xmas trees inside with all the rgb and no real case there (most are sieves, with all the air vents) so you hear everything, the case I used is designed to be quiet and fully sound proofed panels..

Only thing you can do on a hot day is lower its power use if it gets too hot but reality is they downclock anyways when hot, till they settle at a safe temp, but you loose some performance.

Last edited:
Associate
I finally got round to slapping a block on my 3090 FE. I also re-instated my riser cable (phanteks PCI-E 3) from my old 1080ti. When I came to booting up the PC I had a nervous moment as the VGA fail light came on. As I kind of expected the PCI-E 3.0 cable and BIOS setting were the issue and I had to turn the GPU on its side (I run soft tubes) and install it directly in the motherboard to get the PC to boot. Once in the BIOS I could change to PCI-E 3.0 rather than default and the riser works.

Just wondering if there is anyway round this other than buying a PCI-E 4 cable? I run a 5900x and so have no onboard GPU. Its not a massive issue but is a pain if i need to update BIOS etc.

Permabanned
I finally got round to slapping a block on my 3090 FE. I also re-instated my riser cable (phanteks PCI-E 3) from my old 1080ti. When I came to booting up the PC I had a nervous moment as the VGA fail light came on. As I kind of expected the PCI-E 3.0 cable and BIOS setting were the issue and I had to turn the GPU on its side (I run soft tubes) and install it directly in the motherboard to get the PC to boot. Once in the BIOS I could change to PCI-E 3.0 rather than default and the riser works.

Just wondering if there is anyway round this other than buying a PCI-E 4 cable? I run a 5900x and so have no onboard GPU. Its not a massive issue but is a pain if i need to update BIOS etc.

So what are your vram temps and noise levels?

Soldato
I put the alphacool Eiswolf 2 on my zotak this week, first time venturing into watercooling albeit with an AIO but its fantastic, utter silence and maxes out at 60 in games with RT on, boosts higher than before.

No active back cooling unfortunately, so it hasnt really helped the odd bit of mining i was doing but its great to have a pretty inaudable system all the time.

Associate

Don't think so. From what I've seen on AMD platforms you need to set it to PCIE3 if you're using a PCI3 riser. I understand your pain if the BIOS resets, you'll have to move the card into a direct slot. I just went ahead and bought a PCIe 4.0 riser. LINKUP do certified & tested PCIe 4.0 risers with a range of lengths and angles that do the trick, but they're still expensive.

On another note. These Founders 3090 mem temps are crazy. Cyberpunk causes it to go up to 98 degrees. My old EVGA 3080 had great cooler on it and never saw more 84 degrees.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think so. From what I've seen on AMD platforms you need to set it to PCIE3 if you're using a PCI3 riser. I understand your pain if the BIOS resets, you'll have to move the card into a direct slot. I just went ahead and bought a PCIe 4.0 riser. LINKUP do certified tested PCIe 4.0 risers with a range of lengths and angles, that do the trick, but they're still expensive.

On another note. These Founders 3090 mem temps are crazy. Cyberpunk causes to go up to 98 degrees. My old EVGA 3080 had great cooler on it and never saw more 84 degrees.
Yeah - there is quite a good video on hardware cannucks about the riser cables. Looks like I will just have to pony up and get a new cable at some point. Got my eye on the Lian Li cable just need to work out if it will fit the phanteks mounting bracket

Soldato

Ive tried riser cable and non riser cable, doesnt really make any difference to performance running a pci-e 3 riser cable.

Associate
Quick question just snagged a 3090 FE from ***NO COMPETITOR HINTING!!***, upon installing the card alls good.

I took the card out to transplant the other components into a new case and found there was slight play in the heatsink (less than 0.5mm upwards)- am I right that the cooler is just clipped into the aluminimum shround with 3 clips? They all look clipped in and certainly the cooler won't just suddenly pop out!- just wondered whether this is normal manufacturing tolerance or not?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom