The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

yes it very good indeed but they only released 2 collection so far containing episode 1 - 4 in the first collection and in the second collection containing episode 5-8. episode 9 and 10 have yet to be released to finish off the ova series.

Think ill wait till they release the last two episodes then.

Watched the Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home movie earlier. Now I loved the series so it was good to see something more in the same universe.

The movie is set during the series, rather than being a follow on, and without seeing the series it would be very difficult to understand the characters and their relationships. It is a bit of pity as the series could do with a sequel of some form.

Overall it was quite good but it felt like a long OVA episode rather than a movie. Whilst the art quality was generally ok there were a few times where I thought that the series had been done to a higher quality.

Yes, I watched the Hanasaku Iroha movie s well, it was sweet but short movie just over one hour or so. Think I will start rewatching the TV series again in the next week or two.

It be nice if it could get a other season since it's set in such a nice place with good characters and plot.

So what got everyone into anime on here and not look back. For me it was this or the one before it thread. I seen bits and pieces of anime like akira and a random episode of ghost in the shell. But apart from that took no interest. I was bored so I asked you guys what anime to watch and I got recommended ninja scrolls, afro samurai and full metal alchemist brotherhood. They were all awesome but I can still remember watching a certain episode of FMA Brotherhood
State Alchemist turning his daughter into a dog
and was in shock at how dark and cruel a anime can be. Ive never been shocked by anything in a US/UK show, maybe because I know theres a limit to what they go too. But after that episode I thought anime doesn't have a moral limit. And I sat there waiting to see if I would get shocked again
Expecting the brothers to work out a cure at somepoint for the daughter only to see it get killed
So after all that I have been hitting the amazon store for anime ever since:)

What got me into Anime was watching it on Channel 4 and the Sci-Fi channel.

Watching Guyver (The OVA series) and flims like Cyber City Oedo 808, Battle Angel, Dominion Tank Police, Fist of the North Star and Akira and many others I guess. Guyver was and is really only Anime series I ever collected, I have the full 12 episodes on VHS in the loft somewhere. They don't make Anime like they did in the late 80's and 90's anymore, not to say some of the current stuff isn't awesome, but back then a lot of the shows was gritty and dark.

But it's only the last 5+ or more years when I had a PC where I really been able to get into Anime again.

Watching Guyver (The OVA series) and flims like Cyber City Oedo 808, Battle Angel, Dominion Tank Police, Fist of the North Star and Akira and many others I guess. Guyver was and is really only Anime series I ever collected, I have the full 12 episodes on VHS in the loft somewhere. They don't make Anime like they did in the late 80's and 90's anymore, not to say some of the current stuff isn't awesome, but back then a lot of the shows was gritty and dark.

But it's only the last 5+ or more years when I had a PC where I really been able to get into Anime again.

Pretty much the same here.

The "late license" slot on C4 in the 90's, with 3x3 eyes, legend of the 4 kings etc, then Bubblegum Crisis on Sci-fi, and my (now brother in law) used to invite my younger brother and I round to watch stuff with him - Ghost in the Shell, Blue Sonnet (anyone remember that?), and Psychic Cop (or something similar).

I really got into in about 2000 when not only did I actually have some money to spare to buy anime, but had a computer and the internet so I could actually order it to be delivered easily, including from abroad.

The "late license" slot on C4 in the 90's, with 3x3 eyes, legend of the 4 kings etc, then Bubblegum Crisis on Sci-fi, and my (now brother in law) used to invite my younger brother and I round to watch stuff with him - Ghost in the Shell, Blue Sonnet (anyone remember that?), and Psychic Cop (or something similar).

I really got into in about 2000 when not only did I actually have some money to spare to buy anime, but had a computer and the internet so I could actually order it to be delivered easily, including from abroad.

for me it pretty much the same as what IronWarrior & Werewolf said watching the 00:00 to 04:00am anime block that was on Channel 4, scifi channel or early evening 16:00-19:00 on sky two (original sky two 1996 before it was cloesd) & fox kids aka toonami. anime show's, movie's and ova that was shown on the c4, scifi channel were, ghost in the shell (original movie), Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend , Gunbuster, perfect blue, blue gender, Battle Angel, Dominion Tank Police, new Dominion tank police, Fist of the North Star, Akira, megazone 23, bubblegum series, AD Police, virus buster serge, MD Geist, Neon Genesis Evangelion, martian successor nadesico, Burn-Up Excess . while sky two and Toonami Tehnoman Blade, The Vision of Escaflowne, early heavily edited one piece. also after channel 4 stop showing weekly anime block they did a special later night block from time to time with host showing selected anime movie's/ova with abit of game related stuff. no channel 4 has stop anime altogether but film4 does show the odd anime movie from time to time but it always the same movies and they are more kiddie friendly moive's, where c4 would air perfect blue or vampire wars etc.

ps please keep In mind that it was pretty much a big deal back then to air Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend on tv and channel 4 aired many time over it course of it anime block from going from a nightly format to Once week, once month then lastly once or twice a year.

Last edited:
I have to say that I never watched anime on channel 4 and never had Sky so watching anime series on TV didn't affect me at all.

If I remember correctly I'd seen Akira and the original Ghost in the Shell movie, and enjoyed the latter at least. For me it really started about 10 years ago when I ended up moving across the country due to work reasons and eventually getting a new boss a few months later. The chap who was my then boss lent me Spirited Away on DVD and I really liked it so looked around for more information on other things to watch and started lurking on the then anime thread here for quite some time. I would look at what people were talking about and if it seemed reasonable then I'd get it (back then you got targeted suggestions rather than large random pointless lists) ... eventually I started taking part in the thread and the rest is history ...

For me the first anime I seriously watched was on the Toonami channel late night post 9pm in the early 2000's

Started with Tenchi which is probably what kicked off my love for Harem anime. Then Blue Submarine No. 6. I wanted to see more, and I was a big user of Kazaa at the time so I downloaded Cowboy Bebop. That was the series that seriously sealed my fate and I was hooked.

I then started buying my first animes on DVD, it was Akira, Princess Mononoke, Ghost in a Shell and Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series as it was so highly praised. And then just rolled on from there

You lot are making me feel old!

I first became aware of Anime sometime in 1992, after buying a SNES and buying Super Play magazine for game reviews. They happened to have an Anime page every month written by Helen McCarthy, which I read every month, but didn't act on it until late 93. I decided to try one of these "cartoons" and picked up Akira, well I wasn't sold straight away, probably because I was going through a breakup at the time. A month or so later BBC2 showed Akira, in subtitles, to say I was hooked was an understatement. The subtitles just seemed to bring it alive for me.

Back then there was no internet to help in getting information, so buying magazines was the only way. AnimeUK, MangaMania, Animerica, all defunct now was the main source on information. As was a local comic shop, Sheffield Space Centre and Helen McCarthy on a few occasions, she was open to talking and was very informative and knowledgeable.

Getting hold of Anime was a little difficult to start with, very few titles available in the UK and some were expensive. Bubblegum Crisis was £21.99 an episode, straight exchange conversion from the US prices. But was well worth it, but just as Werewolf has mentioned, importing was the way to go, in fact the only way to go if you was after subtitled material. The only company releasing with subtitles was Animiego UK. UCLA had a very good bookshop with regular shipments to the US, with Planet Anime in Houston Tx being another good shop at the time. I was importing so much that I had my own FedEx account for the import fees.

Things have certainly changed in the last 20 years. Full tv series in sets, subbed and dubbed and cheap. Anime in the cinema and on tv. Channel 4 still push Anime on film 4. Some goods changes, but also some bad ones as well, no more AD vision, Animiego having to resort to kickstarter, Bandai not releasing directly in the west.

Anime has been a big chunk of my life, it also helped me through a very serious bout of depression. I even have a Lum tattoo to remind me of happy times when I'm down.

Sorry for the ramble. Just doesn't seem feasible that it's been 20 years :)

Short version.

When I was a lad........:D

Beanbandit, I remember those Superplay mags (still got a few here somewhere), they used to do "chibi" and manga versions of some games characters etc in them from memory.

I put in my pledge for Kickstarter last night, only a basic on though due to finances at the moment.
I think they're halfway there already now.

Beanbandit, I remember those Superplay mags (still got a few here somewhere), they used to do "chibi" and manga versions of some games characters etc in them from memory.

I put in my pledge for Kickstarter last night, only a basic on though due to finances at the moment.
I think they're halfway there already now.

The art was done by Wil Overton, great artist and was part of the AnimeUK team, he did all the covers I think. I may have to dig out the AnimeUK collection and have a read of the old articles :)

I forgot to check kickstarter last night, kicking myself as I was after one of the cel packages for $200. But halfway after a day is good going, hope they get the rest just as quickly.

I got into it when my Older brother would watch bleach like 6 years ago.

Finished Accel World. Pretty decent. Still missing the romance from SAO.

Need moar anime with swords, magics and romance.. My google fu is failing for decent recommendations

I got into it when my Older brother would watch bleach like 6 years ago.

Finished Accel World. Pretty decent. Still missing the romance from SAO.

Need moar anime with swords, magics and romance.. My google fu is failing for decent recommendations

Spice and Wolf if you want romance, but it's the complete opposite to SAO and Accel World because it's old world anime.

Check it out

Quite enjoying the first few episodes of Coppelion so far. Intro blurb from Wikipedia is as follows (no episode spoilers):

In 2016, a catastrophe occurs after a nuclear meltdown from the nearby Odaiba nuclear power plant contaminates Tokyo, forcing the government to order its citizens to evacuate. 20 years later, Tokyo has become a ghost town due to the high levels of radiation which the government has banned entry for anyone. When a distress signal is received from Tokyo, the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force dispatches 3 teenage girls from the Dispatch 3 Special Force Coppelion. Due to genetic engineering, the Coppelions are immune to radiation while also possessing special skills. Thus the Coppelions journey to the ruined capital to find survivors.

The animation style does feel a bit primitive at time but the take on an abandoned, overgrown, Tokyo is pretty nice.

OT: mutter customs charges mutter ... :(

Back
Top Bottom