The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
Hmmm ... All the Anime's 12 days of Christmas starting ... Looks at things on shelf from last year's which have not been watched ... :(
I know the feeling...

I think I've still got about 10 series from last year that I've not got round to watching (from both ATA and MVM), I've been struggling this year to get the time on my own to watch anime:(

Fortunately at this point I think I have a good percentage of ATA's output...

Associate
I'm certainly not a knowledgeable anime fan so likely don't truly understand it, I watched Akira when it came out and absolutely loved it, and Fist of the North Star which was cool but laughably bad as well in areas. I recently watched some anime on Netflix some 20 years later. I really liked most of Attack on Titan, I subsequently got the manga for the first three major chapters that are covered one per series and ended up feeling kind of meh about it, great potential but not great explanation.

I also watched One Up Girl (I think, was about Japanese arcades and Street fighter 2) I thought that was good and an unusual subject for anime. I also watched Baki and another MMA based one, both pretty good.

I tried watching 7 Deadly Sins but it really highlighted something odd that a lot of anime shares - truly pathetic attitudes towards women. I'm not even feminist, but some anime has truly pathetic female characters that I actually feel are insulting. They're often totally compliant and weak with a major crush on whatever annoying little pissant is the main character.

While I'm on a bit of a rant, what is it with the main characters mainly being annoying, tiny little guys with that same irritating Bieber swept haircut who somehow are absolute badasses and destroy much larger opponents all the while having numerous sappy and pathetic characters fawn over them. Even Levi in Attack of Titans annoyed me for being that character type. Also the MMA one I watched has a tiny blonde haired, green eyed Japanese (?) guy who destroys much larger opponents with his Jiu Jitsu.

I know a lot of it is for kids but I actually actively dislike most of the 'hero' characters because of that style, I'd love to see some manga that subverts that, no cute characters, no Kawaii moments, no pathetic fawning over weak little peons with Bieber cuts who somehow easily destroy all their much larger opponents. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Soldato
I know the feeling...

I think I've still got about 10 series from last year that I've not got round to watching (from both ATA and MVM), I've been struggling this year to get the time on my own to watch anime:(

Fortunately at this point I think I have a good percentage of ATA's output...

Yep, I think I've got at least the vast majority of what I want from ATA ... so most things are likely to any new announcements or things which are just mior series I couldn't be bothered to buy but might as well throw £8 at ...

Although if i didn't already have it the two collectors boxsets of Hyouka at £14 each is an absolute steal ...

Associate
Yep, I think I've got at least the vast majority of what I want from ATA ... so most things are likely to any new announcements or things which are just mior series I couldn't be bothered to buy but might as well throw £8 at ...

Although if i didn't already have it the two collectors boxsets of Hyouka at £14 each is an absolute steal ...

Love Hyouka it's one anime I like watching again and again. What's ATA & MVM?

Currently rewatching Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit forgotten how good this is and soundtrack is good as well.

Associate
I'm certainly not a knowledgeable anime fan so likely don't truly understand it, I watched Akira when it came out and absolutely loved it, and Fist of the North Star which was cool but laughably bad as well in areas. I recently watched some anime on Netflix some 20 years later. I really liked most of Attack on Titan, I subsequently got the manga for the first three major chapters that are covered one per series and ended up feeling kind of meh about it, great potential but not great explanation.

I also watched One Up Girl (I think, was about Japanese arcades and Street fighter 2) I thought that was good and an unusual subject for anime. I also watched Baki and another MMA based one, both pretty good.

I tried watching 7 Deadly Sins but it really highlighted something odd that a lot of anime shares - truly pathetic attitudes towards women. I'm not even feminist, but some anime has truly pathetic female characters that I actually feel are insulting. They're often totally compliant and weak with a major crush on whatever annoying little pissant is the main character.

While I'm on a bit of a rant, what is it with the main characters mainly being annoying, tiny little guys with that same irritating Bieber swept haircut who somehow are absolute badasses and destroy much larger opponents all the while having numerous sappy and pathetic characters fawn over them. Even Levi in Attack of Titans annoyed me for being that character type. Also the MMA one I watched has a tiny blonde haired, green eyed Japanese (?) guy who destroys much larger opponents with his Jiu Jitsu.

I know a lot of it is for kids but I actually actively dislike most of the 'hero' characters because of that style, I'd love to see some manga that subverts that, no cute characters, no Kawaii moments, no pathetic fawning over weak little peons with Bieber cuts who somehow easily destroy all their much larger opponents. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Give Jojo bizarre adventure a watch.
If you like mecha and bit mature and something from 80-00s, check out original Macross and Macross plus OVA.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Todays ATA deals are collector and Ultimate editions.

Wolf's Rain £50
Escaflowne UE £40
Eureka 7 UE £40
I've ordered WR as i've been meaning to get it since release (the Escaflown and E7 are awsome).

They've got the Bebop UE in the case for £200, they also have Fuse, Aldnoah 1, night is short, and Tokyo marble chocolate for £10-20 each.

Soldato
Eureka 7 for the price is a real bargain ... although I already have it. I would love to pickup the Cowboy Beebop ultimate edition but can't justify that cost (especially as I dropped more than that yesterday on IT kit :))

So far I grab a few minor Funi titles and grabbed the Aldnoah 1 first set as I only had it in standard edition. Unless they have some new pre-releases added in later days I'm not seeing me getting very much from them this year (I think last year I averaged £50/day). Roll on the MVM equivalent (from the 9th?) too ...

Associate
just order part 3 and 4 of Twin Star Exorcists blu-ray edition at £14.99 a piece, already have part 1 and 2 so this will finish the collection off and all four part fit nicely into the sleeved that comes with part 1. just want to note if you thinking of getting the complete bundle at £59.99, if they are still available to buy them individually, then do so as they come to a total of £59.96.

Caporegime
Weathering With You was very good, not Your Name good, but I have come to accept that it will never be topped.

Absolutely stunning art and animation, good mix of feels/humour, though it little heavier on the song/montage thing than it needed to be.

Your Name cameos were a surprise!

7.5/10

Associate
just order the "Blu-Ray Christmas Mystery Bundle (15) Blu-Ray" off anime-on-line. as I don't have too many mvm titles plus they guarantee that "Titles included in the bundles will not have been included in the daily deals, and will be different from both last years bundle and our earlier summer bundle". so I thought I take the risk.

Commissario
OP
aye mvm have their first mystery bundle up today, which i've ordered.

Between the ATA and AOL/MVM mystery bundles I suspect I'll get some more doubles (already got some from previous boxes), but come next year I'm hoping to get round to sorting out my dvd and blu ray collections again and digging out the older versions/having a bit of a clear out.

Back
Top Bottom