The ASRock thread [support/feedback/etc]

Associate
Hoping more of these come into stock really soon. Got 16Gb DDR4 3600 CL16 Trident Z TGB en route but really want a Taichi to plug them into

los

los

Associate
Can you get bclk over clocking on any non k sky lake processors with any of your motherboards still? Can an old bios be flashed? If so what Matx boards support it? If not can you Overclock a 6600k with any non z boards?

Associate
Wondering if any of you guys can advise. I have a TaiChi on order, wanted to know if

The RGB on the Trident Z RGB can be controlled with the motherboard

and

anyone with any experience of this memory with this board -16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600Mhz G-Skill Trident Z RGB - F4-3600C17D-16GTZR

Thanks for your time :)

I have the Taichi with 2x8GB 3866Mhz G-Skill Trident Z RGB, its working great for me at 3200mhz currently, you should be able to get it to run at that speed just by selecting the 3200mhz option in the BIOS and then selecting the XMP Profile, you should then be able to reduce your timings if you want.

I got the 3866 rather than 3600 as it was on sale priced the same as the 3600mhz at the time, I believe they are exactly the same RAM sticks, just binned differently. I'm hoping with the May AMD microcode update our RAM will work at 3600, or at least 3400, for another little performance boost.

I haven't tried the G.Skill RGB software as I'm happy with the default colour cycling.

Associate
I have the Taichi with 2x8GB 3866Mhz G-Skill Trident Z RGB, its working great for me at 3200mhz currently, you should be able to get it to run at that speed just by selecting the 3200mhz option in the BIOS and then selecting the XMP Profile, you should then be able to reduce your timings if you want.

I got the 3866 rather than 3600 as it was on sale priced the same as the 3600mhz at the time, I believe they are exactly the same RAM sticks, just binned differently. I'm hoping with the May AMD microcode update our RAM will work at 3600, or at least 3400, for another little performance boost.

I haven't tried the G.Skill RGB software as I'm happy with the default colour cycling.

Thanks for the info much appreciated. Managed to get mine for £192 including postage from Germany, should be here Thursday so will have to test it in my Tomahawk while I wait for the TaiChi to come into stock

Associate
Interesting finding following an interesting article from Hardware.fr (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/959-5/nouvel-agesa-diminuer-latence-ram.html)

Basically the latest BIOS with the new AGESA microcode from AMD introduced a memory related option to improve RAM compatibility. This options is called "Bank Group Swap" in the Asrock bios and if you leave it on "Auto" the latest BIOS will disable it (again to improve compatibility) but it will cost you performance wise. So if like me you never had an issue running with it enable before (meaning with the previous BIOS/AGESA) you're better off enabling it manually. In my case you can see the difference in the below screenshots.

well i just found it in bios (for others the path is advanced>amd cbs>umc common>dram mapping)
and altered it (enabled)
and ran aida 64
comparing to your numbers it seems i cannot really tell for sure (allthough its closer to your on mode than off of course)
the reason being was
run 1 i had in some areas quite a significant higher score and the remainder were close or just a bit higher (1-3%)
run 2 some were quite a bit lower than yours -5%
run 3 lower
run 4 lower
run 5 again now at least two sections considerably higher eg first read from memory yours was 45000 ish mine 47000ish one of the others i think level copy was 100 gb higher yet run 2-4 maybe 50gb less
i do recall the actual ram latency was between 70ns and 75ns for all runs whereas i remember on first update after loading version2 bios without even touching bank group it did hit the 68 ns..........
to say im a bit baffled is an understatement it seems i cannot trust consistancy of results from aida myself to prove if i do or do not get any advantage from any changes i make in bios with this taichi :rolleyes:

it is nice though to know theres someone else in london with the same board and i think maybe the same ram as myself (taichi and gskill tridentz c15 3200)

thank you for fining the link though it made good reading
they other tip they mention about 'dram gear down mode' i cannot find in my taichi bios version 2

Associate
Hey happy to have a fellow Londoner with the same setup indeed :)

Your results are stange indeed as on my end I have no problems reproducing the results I get? Maybe it's down to something else in the BIOS we have set differently you and I :confused:

Associate
to be honest after building the system ,chucking on win 10 i just tried the load xmp profile for the ram (gskill f43200c15d-16gtz) and it worked right away, i can get 14/13/13/35 timings stable for hours in windows/benches/stress tests and reboots, but it simply will not cold boot with these timings:mad:
as for any other bios settings i cheated (or got smart i suppose) and followed the guide on youtube by tech city and set the p states which i have 3.9 all cores and vcore set at 1.306 volts (eg pstates 9c/8/1b) i have manuallt set the SOC to 1.0 volts fixed and set both vcore and soc LLC to level 2 (this seems to keep the volts very very rigidly fixed to what ive set) and temps on my 1700 cpu nice and chilled with my noctua air cooling

Associate
Taichi should be early next week. We met with asrock today to try improve our stocking on this board. It's a truly great option for the money.
so said the shepard and so said the flock !

hes right its a really nice board , nice bios, nice location of nvme. nice free wifi. nice big fat power supply side

Associate
@ asrockmb /8 pack and chewie

hi guys this morning the second reference/post was made on the asrock tech support forum concerning vcore on the taichi board with bios version 2 being far too high ( http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4930&PID=27808&title=p20-bios-broken#27808 ) ,
i went and checked myself
and it scared me to death (well nearly im still here )
what do you guys think of this and is it possibly a mis-report or has bios version 2 for the taichi got a severe overvolting bug ?

Associate
it gets worse !
i just updated to cpuz version 1.79 with ryzen support .................
its now also showing upto 2.6 volts in cpuz :mad:

That's definitely a misreport on the voltage. At the voltages it's reporting the CPU would be un-coolable and shortly dead if not immediate death.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I've noticed this before but HWinfo reports correct, and the temps etc are all as expected. I can only imagine at those volts the CPU wouldn't last long on standard cooling.

Back
Top Bottom