The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
how do you mean to fund mourinho?

Good financial results from Arsenal, have they entirely got rid of their debt? that would b surprising as you'd expect them to keep some for tax purposes.

your revenue will most likely be more than ours this year as a one off. Maybe Wenger could buy a keeper even.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah those huge spenders Porto and all. That's what I'm wondering because as far as I was aware Inter have been badly run for ages.

Soldato
how do you mean to fund mourinho?

Good financial results from Arsenal, have they entirely got rid of their debt? that would b surprising as you'd expect them to keep some for tax purposes.

your revenue will most likely be more than ours this year as a one off. Maybe Wenger could buy a keeper even.

It's just part of a stat I heard about Mourinho, that in the last 5 years the clubs he has been at have lost an average of nearly £100m per year. Mental stuff.

The debt from Highbury Square has gone I think and there are still 50 properties to sell. There is still the debt from the stadium which is on a decent fixed rate which Arsenal have no intention of cancelling or paying off early.

Arsenal's net debt amounts over the last few years :

31/5/09 = £333m
29/9/09 £298m
1/3/10 = £203m
24/9/10 = £135m

Much more than halved the debt in a year and a bit. Unbelievable figures. It means that in a few years the club will only have one loan to pay off yearly which is a very manageable amount (can't recall the figure) which will mean there will soon be a high cash surplus being generated every year. Basically in a few years Arsenal will stop being a selling club and the transformation from Highbury to Emirates will no longer put much strain on the club financially.

Man of Honour
The property deal has helped a lot, but that's a one off payment. Those 50 flats will sell fairly soon as well I reckon so next year could be a bit greener than after that.

We were told that it would be 2017 or 2025 (?) when the debt would be finally clear, but with those flats hopefully selling, and then us being able to get a new deal on our sponsor (2014) I reckon we should be able to beat that aforementioned date by a good few years.

Soldato
why are you are selling club now? I can't see that you are, you're asset rich and cash comfortable surely.

There's no denying Mourinho spent big at Chelsea, I don't think Abramovich would have had it any other way in the early years though, there was an incredible disregard for income/expenditure. Inter are and have been shockingly run for quite a while now. There's no doubt he spends money if he has it though.

Soldato
The property deal has helped a lot, but that's a one off payment. Those 50 flats will sell fairly soon as well I reckon so next year could be a bit greener than after that.

We were told that it would be 2017 or 2025 (?) when the debt would be finally clear, but with those flats hopefully selling, and then us being able to get a new deal on our sponsor (2014) I reckon we should be able to beat that aforementioned date by a good few years.

Is the clubs aim to be debt free though? a small level of debt is very tax efficient surely.

Soldato
Yep, I don't think Arsenal will pay off the debt prematurely. They will keep it until it expires. There would also probably be a penalty involved with paying it off early which would make it more disingenuous.

I don't know about this year and onwards, I'm hoping that you're right, but Arsenal have been a selling club for the last 5 years, even when Arsenal wanted to renew player contracts they had to sell a player. Hopefully the fact that Arsenal chose not to sell Fabregas is encouraging, even though his sale could potentially wipe away half of the debt, it's now in about as healthy a position as a 130m debt could be.

Man of Honour
In terms of an aim, probably not or maybe.:p

I don't really understand the workings (especially in regards to tax!) of large corporations you could be right.

-I think the overall aim is to be able to splash the cash where necessary or have a decent amount ready to spend SHOULD it be required (Arshavin it seems proves we already can do this).
-Also to be able to entice new proven talent or keep current players with wages comparable to those we want to compete with.

Wenger was acting soundly to see it AND act on our old situation. It also seems quite lucky (in a perverse way) as well that it's been vindicated by all the take overs that have occurred. It's ended us up in a 'phew thank god he did it' kind of thing rather than a 'oh well, that's us screwed' situation.

Going back to what I saying before we've been lucky with Wenger. I think he's the only manager who acts as he does - it's true to say that most if not all other managers at this level operate differently. To answer your question, in a few years time as Wenger gets older he'll retire/move to the board room. But he'll have left the next manager - who no doubt finances like the rest - the ability to, as said, splash the cash a bit etc.

Soldato
you want complex issues on debt then just look over at United heh!

And the sad thing for Arsenal is that you've done all this and yet some billionaire can take over a 2 bit club and still blow you out of the water in terms of buying players. It's a pity.

Soldato
I have a feeling Guardiola will be the next Arsenal manager. Over the summer he was the only Barcelona employee not being disrespectful to Arsenal, also his contract runs out when Wengers does and he renewed just after Wenger ;)

Mainly he just seems like a fantastic fit for the club and he's said himself that he won't be at Barca for that long

Soldato
Hargreaves surprises Sir Alex

Owen Hargreaves is back in training and close to giving Sir Alex Ferguson a selection problem.

The boss said in an MUTV exclusive interview: "Owen has come back training, he trained yesterday with the first team. He looked very good. I was surprised actually how good he was looking. It's an extra string to our bow.

"After being out for so long, we'll have to monitor him and see how he progresses in the next few weeks. But it's good to see him back. Because he's been out for so long you have to see whether there's going to be a relapse. That's the first thing on our mind. But having watched him in training, if he continues that way he's going to give me a selection problem."

Michael Carrick is also back on the training field. "Michael started training last week," says Sir Alex. "He had an injection on his Achilles to settle it down. It was nothing serious, just one of those niggling little problems you can get, particularly at the start of the season when grounds are firm. He's fine, he's started training."

hope for his and our sake he doesn't pick up any more injuries. When fit he can be a real player for us and we might finally be able to really go toe to toe in central midfield again.

Caporegime
OP
Introductory offer, only £9.99

chamwow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom