The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
School?
lol

What have i said that is wrong?

Ok, he doesn't say that he deserves special treatment exactly but that is what he is hinting at because apparently "he didn't get protection from the referee."

So he is saying that the ref should stop players from barging him over etc?

Please point out what i have said that is wrong?

He's not asking for special treatment for De Gea, he's asking for the same rules that are applied to every other keeper be applied to him because they haven't been so far, particularly against West Brom.

He isnt.

Any ref worthy of being a ref shouldnt be influenced.

He is simply pointing out that in one game De Gea didnt get any of the blatant fouls that were made against him and that hopefully he will in future.

Perfectly innocent.

If that was the case then why didn't he bring it up in his post match interviews after the West Brom game or in the build up to the Arsenal game?

He's brought it up now because you're playing Bolton this weekend and he knows that the likes of Kevin Davies will push the rules to the limit and he hopes that by saying this, it might influence the ref to give Utd any marginal decisions.

What Taggart said wasn't unreasonable but there's no doubt in my mind that he's mentioned it now with Bolton in mind.

If that was the case then why didn't he bring it up in his post match interviews after the West Brom game or in the build up to the Arsenal game?

He's brought it up now because you're playing Bolton this weekend and he knows that the likes of Kevin Davies will push the rules to the limit and he hopes that by saying this, it might influence the ref to give Utd any marginal decisions.

What Taggart said wasn't unreasonable but there's no doubt in my mind that he's mentioned it now with Bolton in mind.

Of course he has! However it is based in some fact given the refs performance in the WBA game.

It wasnt really relevant in the Arsenal game.

Its understandable why his comments are jumped on, now is a better time to mention it than before the Arsenal game! :p However based on the WBA game it is something that he has every right to mention.

So why did you initially say that he wasn't trying to influence the officials? :confused:

As above, what he said about the WBA game was fine but he's said it now to influence the ref tomorrow.

So why did you initially say that he wasn't trying to influence the officials? :confused:

Because what he said was factual.

However it makes more sense to mention it before a game when the keeper is likely to get more of the same treatment.

Suggesting that fouls should be given is hardly "influencing the ref" unless the default setting is not to give fouls.

You're contradicting yourself now. You admit that he's timed his comments with Bolton in mind but that it's not to influence the officials?

Please explain why he's said what he did now then, if it's not an attempt to influence tomorrows game in anyway.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with Taggart saying what he's said now (nor do I have an issue with Kevin Davies clattering into De Gea a few times tomorrow) but there's no doubt he's trying to put a doubt in the refs mind.

You're contradicting yourself now. You admit that he's timed his comments with Bolton in mind but that it's not to influence the officials?

Please explain why he's said what he did now then, if it's not an attempt to influence tomorrows game in anyway.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with Taggart saying what he's said now (nor do I have an issue with Kevin Davies clattering into De Gea a few times tomorrow) but there's no doubt he's trying to put a doubt in the refs mind.

You say "influence the ref" as if he is trying to make him favour the goalkeeper.

I dont believe that is the case.

In the WBA game a number of clear fouls went unpunished as a result of high balls into the box.

He isnt saying "favour the keeper" or anything like it.

He is just saying that when the goalkeeper is fouled he hopes it is given.

I have supported Man Utd for 25 years, i know the baseless Fergie mindgames but in this case he is just asking for the rules to be applied. He has simply chosen a game when they may be needed.

I say influence the ref as if he's trying to influence the ref :confused:

While I'm sure he hopes that free-kicks are given when Davies et al unfairly challenge De Gea, he hopes just as much that when Davies et al challenge De Gea fairly that the ref gives a free-kick too, and you know it.

Just like Bolton will hope to gain whatever advantage they can with their challenges on De Gea, Taggart's trying to get whatever advantage he can with his comments before the game.

Last edited:
I say influence the ref as if he's trying to influence the ref :confused:

While I'm sure he hopes that free-kicks are given with Davies et al unfairly challenge De Gea, he hopes just as much that when Davies et al challenge De Gea fairly that the ref gives a free-kick too, and you know it.

Just like Bolton will hope to gain whatever advantage they can with their challenges on De Gea, Taggart's trying to get whatever advantage he can with his comments before the game.

That is your interpretation.

However to say that i hope in a future game the ref doesnt make the mistakes a ref made in a previous game when the previous ref actually did make mistakes, thats hardly wrong?

I made it very clear that I didn't think his comments were unreasonable. If he was only trying to make that point and nothing more though, then he'd have said so after the WBA game or sometime the following week.

IIRC you'r not allowed to comment about officials even in previous games?

You can't talk about individual officials before a match. Providing you're not rude and don't question their intergrity, you can comment as much as you like about officials and their performance in previous games.

Why? If a ref's made a mistake or had a bad game then you should be allowed to say that. Providing you don't go over the top and are either rude or question the ref's integrity (unless you can back it up), I see no problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom