The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I did specifically state Brazillian defender, which rules out Baptista and Denilson, if you merge your criteria with mine that would mean a Brazillian defender at Arsenal, realistically that means Sylvinho, who was better than Andre Santos :)

Drunken Ref

Basically, he got hammered at a friends birthday party, was quite happy to tell everyone at the ground this.

He proceded to apparently send several players (2/3 in total) off for no reason :D The players kept helping him up and to stay on his feet, needless to say they played out the game by just passing the ball amongst each other, finished with the one goal.

Ref Punched in the face.

:o

Said afterwards, that he had to punch the ref as he'd never liked him, he also then claimed that they couldn't ban him as he was retiring.

Santos isn't THAT bad he just looks fat and lazy, hopefully he'll get into shape. He wins quite a lot of tackles and is absolutely great going forwards, easily 50 times better than Clichy. I'm pretty sure he's matched Clichy's entire goal tally from about 6 years in about 6 games.

Santos is catagorically not better than Clichy going forwards. Other than Clichy being fairly desperate for a goal so trying some daft shots in the past year he's very good going forwards and has been so for City. The problem was at Arsenal, his crossing was wasted because of who we have upfront/the way we play, and we haven't had a left side partnership since Pires left. Clichy's interplay with frankly whoever plays left wing at City is quality, good passing, running the overlap, getting in behind and putting a cross/pass into a dangerous area. Again none of this really happened at Arsenal as we haven't had an established left winger, nor did the team play in a way to take advantage of it.

Santos is just a bit rubbish, yeah, he got a goal, Ramires disappeared, Bosingwa just randomly from having the area completely covered runs infield about 15 yards to stand right on top of Ivanovic leaving a huge gap. Clichy would have scored that goal, his defending was abysmal in the first half and the only real difference in the second half, was Chelsea got even worse.

Guys I did specifically state Brazillian defender, which rules out Baptista and Denilson, if you merge your criteria with mine that would mean a Brazillian defender at Arsenal, realistically that means Sylvinho, who was better than Andre Santos :)

I loved Sylvinho, I'm still not sure if its rumours or not that we got rid of him quickly due to a sticky passport situation. Cole was awesome at the time but its a shame we lost him anyway.

:rolleyes: United's full backs have probably scored less than 5 goals between them in the last 5 years and we seem to have done all right. In fact, I can't think of any goal scoring full backs apart from Dani Alves.

There is a few, more than a few, though most who score, Alves included, tend to take a lot of freekicks and some penalties, like Baines for instance. It is quite funny that there aren't any high scoring (from open play) fullbacks at the moment seeing as there are frankly so many ultra attacking fullbacks who, to be honest, aren't very good at defending.

But there is the problem, a HUGE number of fullbacks at the moment aren't awesome awesome left backs, who could be awesome left wingers, and are great at shooting. Most of these awesome attacking fullbacks are failed wingers, who aren't really quite good enough to play on the wing, so get pushed back. You end up with a winger who isn't good enough to be on the wing, pushed back, and isn't very good defensively.

I think its party too few kids wanting to play as fullbacks so try and make it as wingers. Where as older fullbacks maybe focused on defending and we had the odd one who was awesome going forwards and would get goals aswell.

:rolleyes: United's full backs have probably scored less than 5 goals between them in the last 5 years and we seem to have done all right. In fact, I can't think of any goal scoring full backs apart from Dani Alves.

But you appreciate that attacking is just as important as defending for a FB nowadays though. I don't neccessarily agree but it's the way it is. Defensive midfielders are the new FB's and FB's are the new wingers and wingers are the new inside forwards!

Thing is if goalscoring is the priority from a 'fullback' they may as well just go and stand at centreforward the whole game, get their 8 goals a season and chuckle to themselves at their centrehalf getting pulled from pillar to post while their biggest concern is just keeping onside.

I think attacking attributes are worth having, certainly, but players like Cole are great because they get back in position, people used to say "yeah yeah Ashley Cole, great going forwards but not defending" which was absolute poppycock, you've only got to look at say Euro 2004 where he had Ronaldo in his pocket the whole game for an example of his allround game.

In my book if a fullback has no positional sense, then you may as well not bother having him at fullback, either play him in a 3-5-2, on the wing, or not at all. Arsenal don't play 3-5-2, Andre Santos doesn't look good enough to play on the wing for Arsenal even if we decided to play with wingers, so that leaves only one option.

Obviously it is still early days and maybe he will come good, but my concern is at his age he should know how to defend. If he was 18 not 28 you would say OK he's got time to improve, but he should be at the peak of his powers right now, not having me hiding behind the sofa everytime he attempts a pass or launches an ill-fated foray into opposition territory.

Santos is catagorically not better than Clichy going forwards. Other than Clichy being fairly desperate for a goal so trying some daft shots in the past year he's very good going forwards and has been so for City. The problem was at Arsenal, his crossing was wasted because of who we have upfront/the way we play, and we haven't had a left side partnership since Pires left. Clichy's interplay with frankly whoever plays left wing at City is quality, good passing, running the overlap, getting in behind and putting a cross/pass into a dangerous area. Again none of this really happened at Arsenal as we haven't had an established left winger, nor did the team play in a way to take advantage of it.

Pretty much sums him up with us so far. We still cannot believe you sold him to us for 7m, daylight robbery as far as we're concerned. Clichy has been fantastic so far. Nani got absolutely no change from him at OT after his one mistake in the Charity Shield. Also helped Kolarov (who incidentally does score goals, but I don't think you would say is as good attacking as Clichy) up his game to the point where we interchange the two with virtually no loss in threat or quality.

OT: We've scored 51 goals this season already. 51!! Barcelona have scored 52, but they've got Messi :p We've also scored the most league goals after 10 games since the Football League began or something equally daft.

Last edited:
Quite a row brewing on Twitter tonight.... as a quick backdrop Morrison was an unused Sub in tonight's reserve game and apparently stormed down the tunnel during the warm down

RavelMorrison49 Ravel Ryan Morrison
**** take
3 hours ago

I can not waite till the end of the season
1 hour ago

WayneRooney Wayne Rooney
@RavelMorrison49 might come sooner than u think!!!!!
36 minutes ago

Jamaica with daryl in july :D
35 minutes ago

End of season means holiday time :/ wtf
32 minutes ago

@WayneRooney what do u mean :/
19 minutes ago

I'd like to give Morrison the benefit of the doubt but quite frankly he's got history of being a ****

He's always had a troubled past, nothing to do with being called one of the best players in the academy, he has simply always been in with the wrong crowd ever since being very young.

Not saying it is relevant to this case but I think in the modern game it is inevitable we will see some kids at big clubs who think they are Billy Bigshot coming out of the youth setup, getting paid more in a week than their mates get a month, probably porking a different bird every night if they want it, all got social networks with hangers on telling them they are best thing since sliced bread, believing all the hype from their agent etc. Most will keep their feet on the ground but there will always be a few with egos who think they have made it.

Like has been said he has a lot of potential and is playing with one of the biggest clubs in the world. That mixed with his old friends who are likely on job seekers and just sponge off him etc will push him off the rails.

If there is anyone who will fix him it will be SAF.

Hahaha there's a rumour (Twitter) that Balotelli is at the WWE Raw recording in Liverpool tonight... wearing a City shirt with his name on it!

What a hero! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom