Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wash and a coat of wax today. Collonite 476. Forgot what a cow it is to apply :/

Hehe going to get myself some for the winter season.

Plan is to give it an iron-x/tar-x, citrus & claybar then resin polish followed by collinite coats.

How much of an arse is it to get of plastic trim? Would the pencil eraser trick work or will it need taping out?

Soldato
Wash and a coat of wax today. Collonite 476. Forgot what a cow it is to apply :/
You're doing something wrong. I've always found it easy to apply, especially if you've polished recently.

Most people try and put far too much on. You should barely see it when applied and it should dry to a slight haze. More than a slight haze and you're using too much. I do a couple of very light coats per panel.

You also need to apply it with a slightly damp cloth or polishing sponge. This makes a huge difference to the ease of application. Collinite wax is very solid which means it lasts ages and goes very far, but there's very little moisture in it which makes it hard to apply so a damp sponge makes it much easier.

Soldato
You're doing something wrong. I've always found it easy to apply, especially if you've polished recently.

Most people try and put far too much on. You should barely see it when applied and it should dry to a slight haze. More than a slight haze and you're using too much. I do a couple of very light coats per panel.

You also need to apply it with a slightly damp cloth or polishing sponge. This makes a huge difference to the ease of application. Collinite wax is very solid which means it lasts ages and goes very far, but there's very little moisture in it which makes it hard to apply so a damp sponge makes it much easier.

That's exactly how I'm applying it. The problem is it's a white car, so very hard to see even when it has hazed. So when buffing, it's easy to miss spots. I did the car on Friday, but it wasn't until Saturday that I caught some areas in the sun where it hadn't been buffed off...so of course by that time, it had set like concrete. It's a great product, just have to be disciplined with how much you apply and how long it's left to cure.

Soldato
Used a clay bar for the first time, the meguiar one that comes with their detailer.

Obviously most of the muck was on the lower panels! I ran into some rough patches near the rear bumper towards the left though where the clay bar didn't help. Is this because of damage to the paint? Will a more aggressive clay bar do the trick?

The plan is to eventually machine polish using a DA

Soldato
Used a clay bar for the first time, the meguiar one that comes with their detailer.

Obviously most of the muck was on the lower panels! I ran into some rough patches near the rear bumper towards the left though where the clay bar didn't help. Is this because of damage to the paint? Will a more aggressive clay bar do the trick?

The plan is to eventually machine polish using a DA

Could be either road muck coming up under the car (i.e. makes the rear dirty), or the bumper has repair damage?

Soldato
Could be either road muck coming up under the car (i.e. makes the rear dirty), or the bumper has repair damage?
Well I only had a few scruffs repaired recently, so could be repair damage but doesn't look like it. If so I might as well have repainted the whole bumper!

Associate
Can't see the point in bothering in 476 these days. Id just use a spray sealant that you pressure wash off, coating the car in less than 10 mins without contact.

Just top it up every 3 months or so. Easy.

Soldato
decontaminated, clayed, 2 stage correction, 2 coats of ceramic - paint is like glass now, shows the silver pearl in the mineral white paint up really well and banished are the swirl marks. well chuffed. (didn't do it myself to be fair!)

Soldato
Hello folks, looking for something to seriously matte the finish our our dash. Picked up a dashcam and half the screen is taken up with the reflection of the dashboard (very sloped windscreen doesn't help) so i need to get rid of the dealer valet blind-o-gleam crap on the top of the dashboard.

Anything in particular to look for or is the matte finish stuff all pretty much the same?

Thanks.

Soldato
Hello folks, looking for something to seriously matte the finish our our dash. Picked up a dashcam and half the screen is taken up with the reflection of the dashboard (very sloped windscreen doesn't help) so i need to get rid of the dealer valet blind-o-gleam crap on the top of the dashboard.

Anything in particular to look for or is the matte finish stuff all pretty much the same?

Thanks.

Haven't used any myself but Gtechniq C4 seems a good shout.

There's also Chemical Guys Fabric Guard and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Soldato

Thanks.

Oddly if found the interior dash cleaner provided by peugeot really good- produced by supagard.

Man of Honour
I forgot how good Sonax brilliant shine detailer is. Washed the car yesterday, but it got dirty on the motorway again today - rinsed it with the hose and it is shining again. Leaves a decent finish too versus how quick it is to apply.

Soldato
I forgot how good Sonax brilliant shine detailer is. Washed the car yesterday, but it got dirty on the motorway again today - rinsed it with the hose and it is shining again. Leaves a decent finish too versus how quick it is to apply.

If you ever have a bottle of Sonar BSD and Chemical Guys hybrid V07 detailer try mixing them 50:50 in a empty spray bottle. It works really really good, makes the BSD easier to apply and less smeary/thick.

Little tip I picked up on from detailing world, reminds me I need to buy more of the stuff. :o

Soldato
That looks very decent (if it works). How does the coating last when it comes to future details though - it says lasts for lifetime but is it removed by claying/polishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom