* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Soldato
Yeah I'll be a blinking mile behind. To be honest with DC I went really broad stroke through new 52 and I have every edition of Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Grayson, Catwoman, Batgirl (until it changed to bubblegum bull Batgirl) Batwing, Batman & Robin, Red Hood, JL, JLD, JLA, Earth 2 (which was probably the best apart from Batman) Batman/Superman, Superman and Wonder Woman and probably others I'm forgetting. Suffered a bit of burnout though and post Rebirth I'm slimming right down to Batman (though I may go all star as I love Snyder) Superman and possibly JL.

If Batgirl became a decent character again I would be tempted and gutted Damian is being ditched into the Teen Titans, but yeah, a fair bit less than before :p

Associate
Batman is superb. All Star Batman is definitely worth your time, because Snyder.

Detective Comics is easily my favourite of the Rebirth titles, it's all about the Bat family - sort of like Bruce started the Batman League of Batman :D

Action Comics and Superman had a brilliant hook and a really engrossing start - you'd need to be up to date with new52 supes, otherwise SPOILERS. I've seen writeups for further on that sound very "meh" so I haven't gone any further with that. I might come back to it

I've only read the first arc of JL, it's pretty much as expected. Justice League of America has much more potential to be really interesting, the line up is....different :D. Justice League v Suicide Squad leads into it

I didn't enjoy the first arc of Batgirl, but Batgirl and the Birds of Prey was great, that might be worth your time (with the caveat, I didn't read any new52 Batgirl, I may be well off the mark)

Soldato
New52 batgirl before they turned it into a bubblegum teen girl comic was really deep read and I would recommend it to anyone to pick up.

I know Supes bites the dust and old Supes returns but that does nothing for me as I wasn't reading pre new 52.

I'll see how things go, I like Grayson after the self named title, really broadened the character but I'm not really interested in him being Nightwing again. Red Hopd and the outlaws was great but not too tempted by red hood & Arsenal.

I've actually picked up Spider-Man again so may end up with just Batman and Spider-Man st this rate :p

Caporegime
I'm thinking of getting my son a Marvel Unlimited years Sub for his birthday, he's still Marvel nuts and Masterwork sets of Spiderman and co have cost me a small fortune over the last two years. He's asking me for Luke Cage, Moon Knight and his favourite Iron Fist comics now and to be honest the safest stuff I have found is the older stuff. Iron Fist collection 1 is about £50 second hand so I figure a sub would be worth it. I presume there's no problem using this in the UK and downloading? The marvel website is horrendously slow for me right now, just checking it's not because of issues using unlimited in the uk?

Soldato
Can't say anything about Marvel Unlimited right now but I've used it in the past and never had any issues. Apart from the sheer amount of reading material available that is!

Associate
Marvel unlimited is fine for the UK as far as I know. Don't think you can download much at a time for offline reading though, so you might need to be online for it.

It's garbage on a phone, but tablet/PC will be fine

maj

maj

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up on these. Forgot to say at the time but these are the sort of comics I was after. I was reading The Boys but just couldn't get into it. Might give it another try at some point as everyone seems to rave about it but maybe it just isn't for me.

I'm assuming by stay away from DC & Marvel you mean no superheroes?

Pretty much anything by Vertigo is worth a look - Sandman, Preacher, Fables, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan and Scalped are all highlights

If you like the first book of Boys, I'd consider Marshall Law (much crazier), Authority (definitely not your normal superhero team, Midnighter is a great character) and Black Summer (by Warren Ellis)

If you fancy a horror book, Harrow County is worth a look

Image is doing some great comics at them minute - Saga, A.D. After Death, Morning Glories, Lazarus are all worth your time, but they have a ton of good looking stuff I haven't even got round to yet

I've just finished DC Bombshells v1 - working through Midnighter now, with Locke and Key ready to go after that

I've added Fables, Saga and Morning Glories to my 'to read' list after I've got through some of the others in my list. They seemed to appeal to me the most out of all the ones suggested. I'll probably give them all a try at some stage though.

Image, so many good Image comics. Check out Sex Criminals (don't be put off by the name), Thief of Thieves, The Wicked and The Divine, Rat Queens, East of West

Just got Sex Criminals and The Wicked + The Divine on my tablet ready for my flight to Rome at the weekend as well as the above ones I mentioned. Had a quick glance through Sex Criminals and the concept is interesting to say the least :D I'm going to need a long haul flight to somewhere like Australia to get through all these comics I think!

Associate
Thanks for the heads up on these. Forgot to say at the time but these are the sort of comics I was after. I was reading The Boys but just couldn't get into it. Might give it another try at some point as everyone seems to rave about it but maybe it just isn't for me.

I've added Fables, Saga and Morning Glories to my 'to read' list after I've got through some of the others in my list. They seemed to appeal to me the most out of all the ones suggested. I'll probably give them all a try at some stage though.

Just got Sex Criminals and The Wicked + The Divine on my tablet ready for my flight to Rome at the weekend as well as the above ones I mentioned. Had a quick glance through Sex Criminals and the concept is interesting to say the least :D I'm going to need a long haul flight to somewhere like Australia to get through all these comics I think!

Look at Unfollowed and Clean Room too. Both are limited series from image, both are finished. 2 very good series, image is publishing some cracking stuff atm

Soldato
(replying to thread in general)

Garth Ennis's run on The Punisher is highly recommended.

For something a wee bit more obscure, try and and find the Hitman books by Ennis and McCrea. They are truly brilliant pieces of work that very few people seem to know about.

Associate
I've been out of the Marvel loop since Avengers vs X-Men, are any of the larger cross-over events since then worth a look?

I loved the likes of Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign/Siege.

I gave up on marvel crossovers after the one where everyone was skrulls. I have a marvel-loving friend who assures me that second coming was brilliant, that civil war 2 was OK but overlong, and that secret empire has been a complete mess.

He does however highly recommend edge of venomverse, which he says is glorious lunacy of the highest order.

Soldato
Bit of a thread necro.

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was who recommended American Vampire to me. It's an amazing title and I've got volume 6 on order now. Every book, despite being a series, seems to be fresh and contain new characters and angles which help rather than hinder it, loving it!

Also just read the three Bat Rebirth titles in a few days, reasonably impressed if a little disappointed in the treatment of Gotham Girl (who could have proved interesting) it's not the same without Snyder but a decent enough start all the same, the art is good.

Got volume 4 of Bat on order as well and the last few Grayson books before I start Nightwing, after hating Grayson/Nightwing in early new 52 the character really grew on me and I'm surprised even with myself I'm picking it up before the Detective titles.

Soldato
Seeing as the thread has been necro'd I have a beginners question on digital comics.

On the spur of the moment I bought the Attack on Titan Humble Bundle, all 22 volumes for ~£15, and really enjoyed it to say the least. What I don't know how to do now is buy future instalments as DRM free digital editions. I've heard of Comixology which has a website to buy and an app to view. But at present I'm just using an app called ComicFlow. Would I be able to read my PDF's in Comixology and what other sources of online digital comics are there? I'd rather not end up with lots of different readers if I can help it.
I'm also after the Manga of All You Need Is Kill, which is available on Comixology are there likely to be any other sources?

I'm not expecting to go comic mad and digital seems the way for me to go and just need some advice.

Any help gratefully received.

Soldato
Saw that Comixology were having a sale on Vertigo comics, so decided to pick up Transmetropolitan vol.1

Glad I did, only ready about 1/2 of it so far, but decided to pick up the rest of the series while it was still on sale.

Associate
Saw that Comixology were having a sale on Vertigo comics, so decided to pick up Transmetropolitan vol.1

Glad I did, only ready about 1/2 of it so far, but decided to pick up the rest of the series while it was still on sale.

Truly excellent series by Warren Ellis.you won't be disappointed as Spider Jerusalem is a sublime character.

Associate
Thread revival time....

I've recently finished the following:

• Locke and Key
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters :D
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters 2 :D:D
  • Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D:D:D
Locke and Key was fantastic. Definitely one of the best comic book series I've ever read. The art and writing are both outstanding!

The other 3 were all great fun. Stupidly silly, but fun nonetheless.:p

I'm currently reading American Vampire Vol 7. The last couple of volumes haven't been as strong, but I'm still enjoying this great series. I don't even care for Vampires as such, but the writing and art style have been superb (most of the time).

I've also just started on Aliens: More Than Human. Looks promising!

What is everyone else reading?

Soldato
I’ve just finished the complete Letter 44 an apocalyptic sci-fi story. I really enjoyed, binged the whole thing in 2 days.

I’m still reading Lucifer which I’m enjoying and need to finish off Sandman although this is a reread so I’m not in too much of a rush.

I’m tempted by Uber but as I’m buying on ComiXology these days I’d rather wait until the TP are released electronically rather than buy all the singles which would be expensive. Also it seems only to be halfway through its run and I prefer to buy complete series when they’re done.

Associate
I'm the same -- I only read Trades. 6wSR8q8.gif

"On Inauguration Day, newly elected President Stephen Blades hoped to tackle the most critical issues facing the nation: war, the economy, and a failing health care system. But in a letter penned by the outgoing President, Blades learns the truth that redefines "critical": seven years ago, NASA discovered alien presence in the asteroid belt, and kept it a secret from the world. A stealth mission crewed by nine astronauts was sent to make contact, and they're getting close - assuming they survive the long journey to reach their destination.

Today, President-elect Blades has become the most powerful man on the planet. This planet."

^ Letter 44. I think this may be my next read.

Back
Top Bottom